Complex Storywriting

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
TheChris
Regular
Projects: Stickshooter
Deviantart: innocencecanceller

Complex Storywriting

#1 Post by TheChris »

So far my visual novel script has over 34,000 words and will definitely have at least 100,000 words upon completion. I have no problems writing it and I continuously have more and more ideas for my story. What I wanted to ask you about today is this: how do you make sure your story is understandable to your readers. Sometimes it's easy to mix a few minor details into the wrong route or place them at an inappropriate time chronologically. My plan now is to just keep writing until I finish the story and then correct it as I read through the script and check for any errors. What experiences/advice do you all have with writing complicated stories?

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Complex Storywriting

#2 Post by Ran08 »

I don't know if this will work for you, but for me, I look at my own work through the eyes of a reader. When I re-read my scripts, I think to myself, "I wonder what will happen next?" and try to pretend that I'm not actually the writer. Haha. It helps me see the project in a fresh light, therefore letting me make it a lot simpler and less cluttered. After all, if you pretend to be the reader and you get confused, you can simply edit that part to make it clearer and more understandable. Plus, it lets the writing take you where it's supposed to go, which is the most natural way, haha. That's why sometimes, even if I have outlines in hand, I don't use them anymore near the end of the game because the writing has taken a different turn.

Okay... so now I am re-reading my answer and it sounds really, really confusing. :D

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#3 Post by SinSisters »

Occasionally I let it slide, seeing as different paths in VNs could be seen as AUs. But what I'm doing right now with editing is reading to a certain time period in script A, then reading until that same point in time in script B, etc. You could find this back and forth disruptive, but for me it helps keep stuff in check. I do the same thing, and I'll have to completely rewrite certain things because of what I've written later. Sometimes readers will overlook things like that, so write down what comes later (for example, you reveal in chapter 3 that Sally has divorced parents. That way, if you're reading chapter 1 and you see that Sally is talking about how both her parents are dead, you can fix that.)

-Nat

shanks
Projects: My Winter Poly, The Piggy Bank Robber, This is not a dating game
Tumblr: milkiverse
Deviantart: milkiverse

#4 Post by shanks »

I definitely see what you're saying with regards to misplacing certain texts in certain routes....

I'm still new to the VN scene, but story planning has always been a favorite pastime of mine. What I like to do is first write it all out on paper with just the most basic info. Everything is sectioned and I later go back with different highlight colors for different routes so I can keep track of it. Like:

A1 - Intruders
Choices:
A2 - Escape
A3 - Fight back

A2 - Escape
Escape is futile
A4 - Play flute
A3 - Fight back
A5 - yada yada

I don't always have time to write out the script or draw the illustrations, but I can always find time to do some basic plotting or story branching. <3 The most effective method though is probably to have a few people test it out, as well as testing all the routes yourself.

TheChris
Regular
Projects: Stickshooter
Deviantart: innocencecanceller

#5 Post by TheChris »

Thank you all for the comments.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#6 Post by OokamiKasumi »

TheChris wrote:...how do you make sure your story is understandable to your readers? Sometimes it's easy to mix a few minor details into the wrong route or place them at an inappropriate time chronologically...
The easiest way to keep from mixing up routes is by making a detailed Outline showing all the major routes and the options to get to those routes, (preferably before you write the actual story.)

-- Something like this: (Created with FreePlane.)
Otome outline
Otome outline
-- Or this:
Short Story outline
Short Story outline
With a detailed outline, it's also easy to see how many character images, backgrounds, and sound effects you'll need. This will also show you how big your project is before you begin.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#7 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I tried many methods, but settled on a simple timeline spreadsheet with key points to use as writing reference to ensure consistency.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#8 Post by kaleidofish »

Definitely seconding (or maybe I'm thirding or fourthing) the outline method. It was the only way I managed to write my time travel VN without mixing up all the details on what happened on which day. I avoided many plot holes by treating that outline like it was all that was holy. I also made sure to have someone playtest it as I was writing it, so I had a chance to get rid of anything that was overly-confusing before it was too late.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#9 Post by SundownKid »

Outline, outline, outline before you start writing the story proper. Make sure you have a detailed outline otherwise you are liable to have a plot that falls flat. The worst thing to do is expend a ton of effort "just writing" your story and realize you don't like something halfway through and you need to go back and rewrite everything.