A New Frontier-The new mousetrap

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Praktikal

A New Frontier-The new mousetrap

#1 Post by Praktikal »

Hey all, im new to the forums, but i thought i would make a good first post with substance.

First of all, seeing as this is the game making corner, im going to say that im creating a VN called

A New Frontier

I know youre probably thinking

"Spaceships!"
"Demon worlds!"
"The Ocean!"

All good guesses, but wrong :( .

In my experience as a VN enthusiast, i have played many a game where i am a random High School Senior who is just looking to acclamate himself to the new school he has been transferred to, only to find out that every woman and their mother is out for some of his "love".

While these are valid and entertaining games to play (believe me, thats the inspiration) i had begun to see a majority of them all run together in my mind.

So i thought about it and said to myself..

What if i turn the whole situation on its head?

Instead of a Senior, how about..a Freshman?
Instead of the girls chasing you, how about...you do the smooth talking for a change?
Instead of horny, undersexed Seniors, you deal with... Freshmen who dont know what love is?

Now of course, being young, there wont be any H-material; thats against the law (and my sense of morals). However, you have the chance to go back into the first year of High School life and experience it through the eyes of the main character.

His name is Nakagawa

Or "Naka" as i like to call him.

This game gameplay wise will contain quite a large story arc, with tons of characters intersecting in and out of the plot based on how you decide to play the game. A good long term goal of mine is to make it so that if you play the game down a certain path, you might not even get the chance to meet some of the characters within the game, because they reside in a whole other branch that beers off from that of your own.

Another gameplay additiong i plan to bring to A New Frontier is that of a point based system. In most VNs, points merely get you to endings that give you CGs with different women.

However

In A New Frontier these points are picked up through the decisions you make, and will affect the story ultimately as a whole, giving you more options during certain scenes, or a branch that would not have taken place if you had not achieved a certain amount of points.

Example:

Naka has 35 strength, a high number.

Lets say that in one scene, there is a fire in the chemistry lab, and a girl is trapped under a support beam.

Because of his strength count, Naka can lift the beam under much duress and carry the girl to safety, starting a new story arc and bringing a new character into the mix.

However, if Naka had not had the required 35 strength to lift the beam, he would have had to call for help, and the girl might have died, leading down a new branch, and the loss of an opportunity to meet a new character; while bonding closer with the ones that surround him.

Needless to say, the story is huge. I have though, nearly completed all of the arcs and have begun on creating art for the characters.

The first character i decided to whip up, because he's my favorite :D , is Matsuzaka, Naka's closest companion.

Here is Matsu, almost completed.

This isnt commercial quality art to be sure, but i've only been learning to draw and use CG for about a day and a half now.

Thats where you all come in.

Im looking for Python Coders, and fellow artists to bring this game to completion.

Shoot me a PM if interested, so we can all go into A New Frontier.

P.S. I wanted to call it "A Brave New World", but unfortunately Aldous Huxley already beat me to it.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: A New Frontier-The new mousetrap

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Praktikal said, "...Instead of horny, undersexed Seniors, you deal with... Freshmen who dont know what love is?..."

Uh-oh. Now you've gotten me thinking about Foreigner songs. "I wanna know what love is..."

Anyway, don't worry... I'm also bored with harem games in which the male lead is passive, and yet the female characters fall all over / compete over him. Several of my own ideas had a male main character who didn't do much, but who received rewards.

By the way, there is a series of H-games created by the company Elf which revolve around the theme of younger-than-the-protagonist students. It's called Kakyuusei. Don't know if you *want* to compare your ideas to it, but just so you know... I made sure to do a quick web search for that term (which has several other romanizations), and it turned up a fansite as well as the usual internet information resources.

Praktikal

#3 Post by Praktikal »

Not exactly younger than the protagonist, Naka is a Freshman as well.

Edit: here's Matsuzaka

Kaihaku
Regular

#4 Post by Kaihaku »

What kind of coding were you envisioning, exactly?

Most of your concepts seem like they could be easily implemented using Ren'py and with fairly simple programming. Are you planning minigames or something of the sort?

Praktikal

#5 Post by Praktikal »

Its not exactly the difficulty of the coding, as much as the AMOUNT of it.

Lots and lots of story arcs meens lots of code.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Lots and lots of story arcs meens lots of code.
To me it means lots of story and lots of required planning. I mean, if you can write down the story and draw a chart of how the game will play out, the coding shouldn't be a big hurdle.

Praktikal

#7 Post by Praktikal »

I guess so, im not that experienced of a RenPy user, im used to using C++ and Java, which need code to run everything.

Kaihaku
Regular

#8 Post by Kaihaku »

That's true, the amount of coding for multile story arcs -- or multiple attitudes for different characters, would be rather immense...but...still very simple.

Something I'm implementing is using three numeric variables to determine character interaction. Instead of the standard affection, going with attraction, mood, and trust. For instance, depending on the personality of course...

Girl: Does this dress make me look fat?
Boy: Um...
-Like a walrus! Ha!: -mood, -attraction, -trust
-No, of course not: +mood, -trust
-Well, to be honest, it does: -mood, -attraction, +trust

Mood doesn't affect endings as much as interaction. People can get depressed about an interaction without it killing the relationship. Trust and attraction would play into the ending. Trust without attraction might lead to a close friendship instead of romance. Attraction without trust, a romance with some secrets and details left out. And, of course, the optimial.

Just thought I'd pass on the idea.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

... be careful, it's easy to make assumptions that can be considered offensive when playing with systems like that :) More abstract can be safer!

Praktikal

#10 Post by Praktikal »

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I came home from doing a gig today and felt like doing some drawing for the game.

This is Yuki

Still learning to shade properly/outline etc. Any tips would be welcome.

Anyway, Yuki and the main character have history, that's all im going to say for now.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

Praktikal: work on the lineart a little bit more.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

Mm... Try to set up the proportions of the body a bit better. :3 Remember, the torso is usually 1.5-2 head lengths and the legs are 2 head lengths.