Megaman Z wrote:
PW>> your pick: Sprites, Music, Plot, or a combination of the three.
Long answer: I'll think about participating... then, if I decide to participate, I'll decide what to do.
Short answer: I'll think about it.
French answer: Je ce penser.
Japanese answer: Boku, sore de omoi desu.
(pardon the bad French and Japanese... not techically fluent in either.
Megaman Z wrote:
(an RPG expert, by my definition, someone who spends TOO MUCH TIME IN FRONT OF A MONITOR PLAYING AN RPG and has a clue about how the mechanics work. I'm halfway there: I have a bit of a clue about how the mechanics of an RPG work.)
Mmm... sounds like you're in for a tricky ride, there. Just playing computer RPGs may give you a vague understanding of the mechanics, but the actual planning is quite complicated. For example:
- How many hit points should the player character start out with?
- How much experience should it take for the PC (player character) to level up?
- How many additional hit points should the character gain for each level, given the experience required to level up?
- How easy should a creature be to defeat, given the player's level?
- How much experience should a player gain for defeating a creature, relying on the difference in level?
- What statistics does the PC have, and how do they affect his in-game performance?
- How far on the map should the player be allowed to get before encountering creatures that are too difficult to defeat?
These are just basic leveling/experience questions for PCs and creatures... then you have to worry about the dynamics of the battle system, special abilities, spells, etc...
I'm not trying to discourage you... really, I'm not.
However, there is a lot of pre-planning and system development that goes into an RPG game long before graphics and story even come into play.
Just my two-fifths of one-twentieth of a dollar.
Then there's the question:
- Will PixelWrangler ever remember to log in before posting replies on this board?
(Sadly, I'm used to boards that automatically bring you to a login screen if you try to post without signing in.)
(+sarcasm)ya know, there's this little checkmark at the login page that says "automatically log me in". you can try ticking that.(-sarcasm)
back on-topic, I know (from the dead projects) that an RPG takes a while to do. Personally, I believe if someone can give me a script, someone else does art and sprites, somebody else does music, and somebody (besides Shadosa) that's an RPG expert can figure out the fine details on the statistics, I can put all those pieces together, slip in a couple jokes of my own, and we'll have a decent RPG game. (and possibly a renai one at that!)
(also, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person here that has seen/played "Romancing Walker" [by FLARE], but that is pretty close to what I would ultimately like to do, but with a shorter playtime (less than ten hours, after modding the stats) and more focus on the interaction with the main character's friend[s])