Getting VoxSpell to work in Ren'Py 6.10.2e

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
sheetcakeghost
Veteran

Getting VoxSpell to work in Ren'Py 6.10.2e

#1 Post by sheetcakeghost »

OR How to get a spell-checker in your Ren'Py!

So I wanted to have a way to type my scripts in directly to jEdit without having to copy and paste over to a program that has a spell-check. Aleema told me about VoxSpell but ALAS when I downloaded it via the plugins manager it told me that the jEdit 4.3pre15 was out of date! Well I couldn't exactly just update jEdit (at least not without losing all the cool Ren'Py features) so I searched the internet for older versions of VoxSpell. I've spent most of today testing things out and it works consistently so far. Then I figured I should share how I did it on the forums for anyone else in the same predicament as myself.

First you'll need to download two things: VoxSpell-1.0.7 and ErrorList-1.7. You can find both of those at the Japanese sourceforge link I'm going to provide below.
http://es.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet ... fulllist=1
If for any reason that link up there becomes broken just try a google search for those two plugins. You need to have ErrorList if you're going to use VoxSpell. If you only download VoxSpell it will automatically install ErrorList when you put it in the plugin, but it'll be the newest version and that's no good.

Once you have the files (I used the zip versions) go to your jEdit jar folder. C:\...\renpy-6.10.2\jedit\jars

Put the contents of both zips into that folder. If you did what I did and tried the manager first you MUST remove the VoxSpell and ErrorList from it before adding the files to the folder. (Do NOT remove the Common plugin. It might read out of date now, but it has nothing to do with the two plugins and it'll mess up your Ren'Py jEdit features something fierce.) If you don't remove VoxSpell and ErrorList you'll just get a message telling you there are two copies of VoxSpell and it will not load up properly. You will likely have to remove it, exit jEdit, open jEdit, and do it again to really get it out.

With that done you should see VoxSpell in your plugins tab. If you want VoxSpell to spell-check as you type you have to turn that feature on. Go to your plugin manager and click the Plugin Options button. Select VoxSpell and check the box. You can customize the color of the underline too. I picked red so that I would notice it. By default it's black.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Getting VoxSpell to work in Ren'Py 6.10.2e

#2 Post by Aleema »

Oh, cool! That's a neat fix. I eventually fixed my VoxSpell by downloading the newest jEdit. I had to copy some folders over, but it seems to be working. =P Thanks for the post.

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

Re: Getting VoxSpell to work in Ren'Py 6.10.2e

#3 Post by sheetcakeghost »

That's another way to do it too. Sounds a lot more involved than what I did though.