Briar [GxG, GxB] [Fantasy] [Fairytale]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aurélie
Regular
Organization: Lyonesse

Briar [GxG, GxB] [Fantasy] [Fairytale]

#1 Post by Aurélie »

Briar is an episodic fantasy visual novel. Based off the plot elements of the tale of Sleeping Beauty, Briar is primarily influenced by south-east Asian history. Instead of typical wuxia themes, the game provides an engaging narrative and characters while handling themes of imperialism and colonialism. Your choices as the protagonist determine her personality, relationships and ultimately, her fate. One of the game features we're super excited about is changing dynamics between characters and the protagonist Talia. If Talia's personality is manipulative, she's going to have a different dynamic with her love interest than a Talia who is kind.

Plot:

Hundreds of years ago, the kingdom of Aurora was the bountiful capital of the Eastern Kingdoms, trading with its neighbouring vassals and helping the land to flourish. But because of the King and Queen's foolishness, the kingdom was cursed by a daayan and fell to ruin, leaving the Eastern Kingdoms powerless. The citizens of the Eastern Kingdoms sought sanctuary with the kingdom of Wesceter (name to be changed), whose corrupt King welcomed new workers. Wesceter seized the dead kingdom's trade routes and flourished, becoming greater than the Eastern Kingdoms ever were by exploiting their people.

It is now a time of peace. Averting their eyes from the ruin of Aurora, Wesceterans look to the conflict in their own land. Despite the land's economic prosperity, most of the citizens are displeased with the nobility. The royal court is seen as lazy and gluttonous. The royal advisor is regent until the crown prince comes of age, and a coup at such a vulnerable time would be catastrophic. At the urging of his regent, Wesceter's crown prince ventures to Aurora in an attempt to inspire the people, hoping to find the mythical queen who has been trapped in eternal slumber. Instead he finds the princess Talia, the only Auroran who did not wither into dust. Talia is brought back to Wesceter for reasons she does not quite understand.

Descendants of Eastern Kingdom immigrants see Talia as a hope to overthrow Philip's rule. An ambassador from across the sea is clamouring to wed Talia to their king. Philip's thoughts wander from his approaching coronation to the princess he rescued. And beyond the dust of the forest crossroads, a thick-plaited woman sits, spinning flax into strings of fate.

Characters:

Talia, the forgotten princess.

Talia was raised near Aurora, but her memories are too fragmented for her to recall where, or even by whom. Just before her eighteenth birthday she visited the castle, causing the daayan's curse to come into effect. She alone survived the years of slumber. Talia's mindset and personality depend on user choices made during interactions with others, and what Talia writes in her journal.

Prince Phillip, crown prince of Wesceter.

Reminded constantly of his people's disappointment by his regent Alfred, Phillip feels lacking in the bravery expected of a prince, so he often seeks out danger and glory to remind himself of his capabilities. In doing so he has failed to develop the political acumen expected from a future ruler. He enjoys theatre, singing and dancing, horseriding, and generally flamboyant regal activities.

Princess Caroline, second in line to the throne.

Caroline dislikes getting involved in politics or courtly intrigue. She is utterly unambitious and finds pleasure in simple pursuits like embroidery, dancing and prayer. Unlike her brother, Caroline is sheltered from the critiques of the lower classes, so she assumes that the people care for her as she cares for them. In the private sphere Caroline has little regard for those around her. She possesses a thoughtlessly exclusive nature, pleased enough to read by herself. Talia's arrival in the kingdom is mostly inconsequential to her.

Edmund, the palace librarian.

Edmund is assigned to tutor Talia in decorum and history. He has a soft heart and tries to help Talia piece together her memories. He bears a quiet resentment towards Aurora's misrepresentation in historical texts. Being able to ask someone who lived through the period questions about it is exciting, but he doesn't want to make Talia feel more like a sideshow than she already does. Edmund doesn't find himself a very interesting topic for conversation, but leaps at any chance to express his fondness for animals.

Sophie, a young servant girl of Auroran descent.

Ostensibly Sophie is there to attend Talia and ask no questions, but she has hungry eyes that hint at an unexpected cunning. Her sly manner doesn't mean that she isn't capable of remarkable loyalty, and she is empathetic to Talia's troubles despite the difference of position between them.

As well as a bucketload of side characters who we'll hopefully be able to show you soon!

Why episodic?
Briar is episodic because after outlining it as a full game we realised the various plot points and variations couldn't be properly realised without it being too long and rushed. We plan on releasing four episodes. We understand the risks of our first VN being episodic, so the first will likely be free. Each episode deals with a separate conflict while following the overarching plot. The last three episodes are already outlined in detail, with a few scenes written here and there. The first episode focuses on the re-emergence of Auroran patriotism amongst Wesceter's citizens, Talia's struggles to regain her memory and her establishment of position.

Progress for episode one:
Outline: 80% Only romance scenes left!
Writing: 11% (looking to be around 110k)
Sprites: 0%
Backgrounds: 35%
GUI: 0%

Progress for the other episodes is harder to estimate, but it's safe to say the entirety of the overarching plot is done.

Staff
Aurélie: Writer, programmer
amaranthined: Writer, sprite artist
Carol Santos: Background artist

We're considering a modest Kickstarter to hire another artist, to alleviate the pressure on our current sprite artist. It'll depend on how Briar as a WIP is received, and wouldn't happen until we were further along in the dev process.

Briar is a fairly large project, but we've been working on it for the better part of a year and are confident we can see it through. The purpose of this thread is to announce the project (obviously) and also gauge reaction to the VN as a concept! We're really open to all kinds of feedback and questions.
Last edited by Aurélie on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Bliss Will Reign [GxG, GxB] [Fantasy] [Fairytale]

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Ah, I love so many things about this already! A classic tale retold? Check. A southeast Asian influence? Check. An examination of imperialism and colonialism? Check!
Aurélie wrote:One of the game features we're super excited about is changing dynamics between characters and the protagonist Talia. If Talia's personality is manipulative, she's going to have a different dynamic with her love interest than a Talia who is kind.
And this is like an answered prayer for me.

I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

amaranthined

#3 Post by amaranthined »

I'm so happy to finally announce this project, we've been sitting on it for ages and I know Aurelie's been dying to share it and get feedback! I'd just like to add that location and side-character names are subject to change, as we've been using some placeholder names till we decide on some that are culturally/story appropriate.

I'll also see about posting some of our mythos, as the game takes place after the classic tale and our version of what happened isn't quite the same as what you probably grew up with.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I assume you're aware of Giambattista Basile's version, since you named the princess Talia . . . is this going to be as violent?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Aurélie
Regular

Re: Briar [GxG, GxB] [Fantasy] [Fairytale]

#5 Post by Aurélie »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Ah, I love so many things about this already! A classic tale retold? Check. A southeast Asian influence? Check. An examination of imperialism and colonialism? Check!
I'm happy the project appeals to you so much! The romance dynamics were particularly important to me - playing a tough-as-nails PC who suddenly mushes up around her LI always bothered me. (Not that you can't be secretly adorable, but a choice is always good.)
Mad Harlequin wrote:I assume you're aware of Giambattista Basile's version, since you named the princess Talia . . . is this going to be as violent?
Some characters can be killed, and it's important to us to have a mature story, but it's all through more of a courtly intrigue lens. The elements of the grotesque present in some fairytales aren't something we're interested in adapting. Cloak-and-dagger, yes. Attempted cannibalism, no.

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#6 Post by sasquatchii »

Aurélie wrote: Your choices as the protagonist determine her personality, relationships and ultimately, her fate. One of the game features we're super excited about is changing dynamics between characters and the protagonist Talia. If Talia's personality is manipulative, she's going to have a different dynamic with her love interest than a Talia who is kind.
Ooohh, this sounds like it's going to be very awesome and complex! I think the art you guys have shown is great, and wouldn't mind paying for it if the writing was well done.

Right now I'm wondering if all of the characters you've listed are pursuable?

I'm also curious to see how you guys will do world-building in this game, since it's a fantasy. I have never played a fantasy type VN before although I adore fantastical fiction.
ImageImage

Onomatopoeia
Regular

#7 Post by Onomatopoeia »

So much detail and beauty in this! I can't wait to see the finished product and I wish you all the best moving forward.

Most people ignore the Basile version of Sleeping Beauty (though for good reason, I suppose). Either way, it's always nice to see people who look at more than the Germanic folklore when they do their retellings.
Aurélie wrote:Attempted cannibalism, no.
Well darn!

Seriously, though, the idea of cloak and dagger plus the themes of colonialism/imperialism seem fascinating. Can't wait to see more.

Aurélie
Regular

#8 Post by Aurélie »

Thankyou to everyone for expressing your interest! Hopefully soon we'll be able to post up a group sketch of the secondary characters so you can see the whole cast.
sasquatchii wrote:Right now I'm wondering if all of the characters you've listed are pursuable?

I'm also curious to see how you guys will do world-building in this game, since it's a fantasy. I have never played a fantasy type VN before although I adore fantastical fiction.
Yes, the characters here (minus, well, the player character, pretty as she is) are the main romance options.

I hope this is a fantasy VN you'll enjoy! Once we get the game's website up and running we'll have some more lore info available. Worldbuilding's one of my favourite aspects of writing fiction, so some of it will inevitably spill over into our prospective artbook as well.
Onomatopoeia wrote:Well darn!
Evil ogre mother DLC! ;)

I'm really glad the imperialist and colonialist elements are actually a point of interest rather than being considered.. I don't know. Dated? It's hard to explain.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Aurélie wrote:I'm really glad the imperialist and colonialist elements are actually a point of interest rather than being considered.. I don't know. Dated? It's hard to explain.
Well, vestiges of the colonial period remain to this day, and many countries are considered by some to have imperialist policies. So you're not making your story dated at all.
Onomatopoeia wrote:So much detail and beauty in this! I can't wait to see the finished product and I wish you all the best moving forward. Most people ignore the Basile version of Sleeping Beauty (though for good reason, I suppose). . .

Yeah . . . I can't imagine that any parents want to tell their kids a story about a rape.

Perrault's version doesn't even feature a kiss---the prince just kneels in front of her, stunned by her loveliness, and she wakes up. (I think that beats a stolen kiss any day of the week.)
— Mark Twain

angelgidget
Completed: i wish
Projects: i also wish
Organization: nope

#10 Post by angelgidget »

Oooh! Lovely art, fairytale base, political intrigue, pretty people, and personality-shaping! All good, fun things! I look forward to this. :)

amaranthined

#11 Post by amaranthined »

Some new stuff to share with you all - some more concept art I've been doing for our two main lady characters (besides the PC, ofc), and the full-view of the headshots that were cropped into our intro post.

~*~*~ CAROLINE ~*~*~

~*~*~ SOFIE ~*~*~

The concept sheets link to a full-size on imgur, please check them out! They are a bit large but should have way more detail than visible here. (If it takes you to a page with the codes on the right side still, click the image again to get to the 100% view.)

I'll be working on some side character concepts next, and then return to finish up on concept sheets for our male LIs and the PC(: All comments/constructive crit would be super appreciated, as well as any suggestions about things any of you would like to see specifically.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I think I love you . . .

These ladies have body fat! :o
— Mark Twain

bellice
Veteran

#13 Post by bellice »

Mad Harlequin wrote:I think I love you . . .

These ladies have body fat! :o

Yes, it's PREPOSTEROUS. WHERE ARE MY TWIG LADIES?!?!?!!11!1

Jokes aside, I completely agree with Mad Harlequin here. I love seeing girls with fuller proportions (or just other proportions than anime-stick-like) in VNs. It makes them seem more real to me and less like, well, a bunch of lines and colours.

MOAR body types I say.

sempersapiens
Regular

#14 Post by sempersapiens »

This seems really cool! I like the art style, and Sofie sounds like a badass. I'm definitely romancing her.

Aurélie
Regular

#15 Post by Aurélie »

Amaranthined and I are really happy to hear such positive feedback about our lovely ladies. Ideally in the game we'll be able to have characters with different body types because contrary to the media's belief, not every woman has an hourglass figure!

I've finally gotten a laptop of my own after a few months of having to borrow my roommate's when needed. Soon I'll be putting up a website/twitter for the project and writing/coding will be coming along much speedier now.