[GxB?][Murder Mystery] My Dark, Little Secret

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

[GxB?][Murder Mystery] My Dark, Little Secret

#1 Post by SilverxBlue »

I promised myself that I will fall for the right person at the right time, but ever since that fateful day we met, the promise of falling in love at the right time shatters...
My twin brother died just before I met you, I wanted to punch myself for falling in love at such a wrong time, but whenever I see your smiling face, my anger drowns in my ridiculous feelings for you... However, little did I know that behind that charming smile, lies a deadly demon.
Whoever knew I'd break my promise of falling for the right person as well?

Logo credit to Auro-Cyanide
You play as a girl named Alexandra "Alex" Howard, a simple and ordinary girl with a twin brother whose name is Alexander "Zander" Howard. Both of them grew up with a mom who was a former piano prodigy, so both of them grew up as great piano players. Alex's twin brother became the keyboardist of a famous band, Midnight Havoc, while Alex ended up studying in college. Misfortune came to the twins because Zander ended up dead in his sleep, the band's manager, Gregory Fosse, was the first one to discover Zander's death, he asked his uncle to give Zander a very private and unknown funeral and he decided to keep it as a secret to avoid controversies and mishaps, he told the other band members that Zander went on a sudden vacation to visit his twin's funeral.

Gregory thought that "Alex" Howard was a boy and he decides to visit their house, tell them about Zander's sudden death, and ask "Alex" to replace Zander as the band's keyboardist. He then visited the Howard family and he was surprised to see that "Alex" was actually a twin sister, not a twin brother. However, he still decided to ask her to dress up as a boy and replace her brother. At first Alex didn't want to agree and refused. The manager leaves dismayed, but he still told her that he'll be back, and see if Alex will change her mind. Alex told him that she will not, but a certain dream did.

Zander visited Alex in her sleep and told her; "I did not die out of purely natural causes, sis. I died because I was murdered." Zander told Alex that he didn't know who did it because he just woke up and drank some water and then after a few minutes he started to have difficulty breathing and the next thing he knew, he had stopped. Alex woke up minutes later, even if it was all a dream, she believed what her brother told her, and decided to accept Gregory's offer in order to find out who murdered him.

She suspected four people the other band members and Gregory. All of them are obtainable and as she tries to pursue them she'll discover a very big secret and one of them is actually the murderer, the one who holds the secret of death.

Will Alex be able to find out who the murderer is, will she be able to find out the one who holds the worst secret of all while finding love in the way? Or will she fall in love to her brother's killer without even knowing it?
It's all in your hands. :)

Update for the character Bio. Scrap the last ones, they're unnecessary and I've changed a few characters names and their personalities too.
I've made nothing but the texts and that notepad thingy, the polaroid vector came from: http://dryicons.com/ 8D
The Four Suspects (Yes, all of them are actually "obtainable".)
ImageImage
ImageImage
The Three "Main" Characters? o3o
Okay, actual Main Character
I MADE A DAMN MISTAKE FOR ALEXANDRA'S NAME AND THE .PSD FILE IS MISSING SO I CAN'T EDIT THE FORBES OUT.
Howard is her real last name, I am so sorry for that. ^^;
Her mother and the man everyone seems to love younger twin brother
ImageImage
The one who made these three bios was Zander, hence the totally random comments. XD
You can feel free to ask them too if you want. That way, you'd get a feel of how they talk. :D

Writer/Programmer: Me
Sprite: machinist
CG Artist: wingzodarkness
CG Colorist: Me
Musician: Konaa, senhiro
GUI - Hijiri
Beta-testers/Proofreaders: azureXtwilight, Lumen_Astrum, HikkiPanda, RemnantDream, Kimiko, Celestie, wingzofdarkness

Thanks to Camille for giving that awesome and fitting band name!

Story-80%
Script-36%
Sprites-95%
BG-70% (All of the BGs I have are only from the net.)
CG-5%
BGM-75%
Screenshots~
ImageImage
Please feel free to ask your questions, and please don't hesitate to give any suggestions that will improve this game. ^_^
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Kindred87
Regular
Projects: Fairy Tale: Kaguya-hime, MR Project (Non-VN), Wake Up Call (Non-VN), & Becoming A Good Composer
Organization: セイバーサウンドグループ WEST

Re: [GxB][Murder Mystery] My Dark, Little Secret

#2 Post by Kindred87 »

So it's like a Trap, only with reversed genders xD. Unless Trap is a hentai-only genre...o.O

Oh, and in the paragraph covering the dream you said "...and the next thing he knew, he had stopped." That last bit confused me a little. Did you mean to say that his heart had stopped?
LimeBooth : http://limebooth.com/profiles/collinkindred/ | Music Thread (Closed To Requests Indefinitely) : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=12938
SoundCloud : http://soundcloud.com/collin-kindred

Currently : Creating 75+ requested songs.

Scarlet-Kokoro
Regular
Projects: Imitation Heart(模倣心)-Otome For the Love of Cocoa-Short-Otome VN

#3 Post by Scarlet-Kokoro »

This looks very good. I can't wait to play it! :D Good job!
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?"

Projects:

Immitation Heart: Script: 40% Characters: 50% CGs: 0%
For the Love of Cocoa: In first draft stages

Patty
Regular
Completed: Letters for You, Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks
Projects: Paradox

#4 Post by Patty »

Looking forward to this as well! :)

On a side note: the mother's pose doesn't really fit her dialog... It's only her face that looks angry... :l

And I'm not sure if it's just a personal preference, but i find it weird that the side image is at the right side. Maybe I'm just used to seeing it on the left.

Good luck! :)
Letters for You [KN] [NaNoRenO 2012] : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=14271

Paradox [NaNoReNo 2013] WIP: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19714

Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28476

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

Kindred87 wrote:So it's like a Trap, only with reversed genders xD. Unless Trap is a hentai-only genre...o.O

Oh, and in the paragraph covering the dream you said "...and the next thing he knew, he had stopped." That last bit confused me a little. Did you mean to say that his heart had stopped?
It means he had stopped breathing. "He had difficulty breathing, and the next thing he knew, he had stopped."
I find it weird and redundant to add the word breathing at the end. I'm so sorry for the confusion it caused. ^_^;
Scarlet-Kokoro wrote:This looks very good. I can't wait to play it! :D Good job!
Thank you.

Patty wrote:Looking forward to this as well! :)

On a side note: the mother's pose doesn't really fit her dialog... It's only her face that looks angry... :l

And I'm not sure if it's just a personal preference, but i find it weird that the side image is at the right side. Maybe I'm just used to seeing it on the left.

Good luck! :)
I'm thinking of having another artist re-do the sprites of the "sort of" side characters, someone who'll be able to match it with the main ones, so I guess it can be considered as a placeholder for now.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

MoPark
Regular
Projects: Kangaroo, Terminal Love

#6 Post by MoPark »

For the title screen, the menu options that drop with blood are a bit distracting from the text itself, and the white Gaussian blur behind the title options makes it a bit more difficult to read as well. Perhaps play with alpha levels for those overlays? A Gaussian blur with a transparency would illustrate which option you selected without impairing one's ability to read the text as easily.

I do like the title screen, with the title being negative space. I would recommend that for the main menu options as well, but I think it would be too difficult to read if that were the case. Still, murder mysteries are fun, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

MoPark wrote:For the title screen, the menu options that drop with blood are a bit distracting from the text itself, and the white Gaussian blur behind the title options makes it a bit more difficult to read as well. Perhaps play with alpha levels for those overlays? A Gaussian blur with a transparency would illustrate which option you selected without impairing one's ability to read the text as easily.

I do like the title screen, with the title being negative space. I would recommend that for the main menu options as well, but I think it would be too difficult to read if that were the case. Still, murder mysteries are fun, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!
Ehehehe. To be honest, I was only messing around with Photoshop when I made that blood thingy, and since no one found it iffy or complained about it, I decided to just stick with it.
Thank you for the advice though, I'll make sure to take note of that one, when I'm redoing the GUI.

As for the title logo, I didn't make it myself, so I don't know how to do that to the main menu options. (I tried, but my attempts turned it into a pile of unreadable letters. Yeah, I know. Epic fail. ;__;)

And thank you so much!

~~~~
Anyway, I have a few questions that I actually need answers to. (This is directed to everyone, not just MoPark. )
1.) What do you think of the plot? Does it really look too ambitious? (And I know the synopsis is filled with too many errors, and I'll fix that once I have the time.)

2.) What do you think of the characters? Are they interesting? Are they too stereotypical or not? If you still don't get someone's attitude or personality then, please, by all means, feel free to ask me.

3.) And lastly, are you okay with the length of this game? The demo is already around 40,000 words and I'm sure it's gonna triple once the whole game is completed. (I'm thinking of adding a few features to make it more interesting (Quiz-type mini-games, turn it into a dating sim...), if you have a suggestion, then please tell me.)
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

#8 Post by KissOfDeath »

The Answers to your Questions:

1. I freakin LOVE the plot synopsis, not too ambitious at all, it sounds really interesting!
2. The characters seem cool, no one really raises any real suspicion yet except for Louie, he seems a little sketchy but I love it!
3. The length is totally fine, don't worry about that! I love games that are sorta long, so I can always come back to it whenever I feel like it. When games are too short they're just done and that's it. Like "That Cheap And Sacred Thing"? Absolutely loved the story, but I was sad that it was so short. So, like I said, don't worry about the length! :)

Now I have a question: If there is a demo, where can I download it and is it a zip. file? Thanks!
-KissOfDeath

misamane
Regular

#9 Post by misamane »

Oooh this looks good, definitely something I'd wanna play~

Answers to your questions...
1. I think the plot sounds really interesting c: I don't think it's too ambitious at all!
2. I like the sound of the characters! I'm kinda suspicious of Greg the most as he wanted to cover up the death and he found him first etc etc, but I guess that would be too straight forward to pin the blame on him right? But it would be interesting to know why he was so obsessed with keeping Zander's death a secret. Oh and Rey and Louie look haaaaaawt~
3. I love lengthy games! Nothing is worse than when you really get into a game and then it just... stops. So I definitely think the length of it will be fine :3
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by SilverxBlue »

KissOfDeath wrote:The Answers to your Questions:

1. I freakin LOVE the plot synopsis, not too ambitious at all, it sounds really interesting!
2. The characters seem cool, no one really raises any real suspicion yet except for Louie, he seems a little sketchy but I love it!
3. The length is totally fine, don't worry about that! I love games that are sorta long, so I can always come back to it whenever I feel like it. When games are too short they're just done and that's it. Like "That Cheap And Sacred Thing"? Absolutely loved the story, but I was sad that it was so short. So, like I said, don't worry about the length! :)

Now I have a question: If there is a demo, where can I download it and is it a zip. file? Thanks!
-KissOfDeath
Thanks for the er... feedback?

Oh, really? Why would you think Louie's sketchy? So far... I think Louie has been getting the most suspicions.

And no, there isn't any demo yet. It's all written, but the art isn't complete yet.
misamane wrote:Oooh this looks good, definitely something I'd wanna play~

Answers to your questions...
1. I think the plot sounds really interesting c: I don't think it's too ambitious at all!
2. I like the sound of the characters! I'm kinda suspicious of Greg the most as he wanted to cover up the death and he found him first etc etc, but I guess that would be too straight forward to pin the blame on him right? But it would be interesting to know why he was so obsessed with keeping Zander's death a secret. Oh and Rey and Louie look haaaaaawt~
3. I love lengthy games! Nothing is worse than when you really get into a game and then it just... stops. So I definitely think the length of it will be fine :3
Thank you!
Ohoho, you find Greg the most suspicious then? That's interesting! Haha!
And, yes I agree with you, Rey does look hot. XD
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

#11 Post by KissOfDeath »

I mean Louie the synopsis says he's happy all the time, I would be suspicious of anyone who was too damn happy lol I mean you never know.
"Build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs." -Kendrick Lamar
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
RE:Set Episode(s) 1 and 2 (Proofreader)
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#12 Post by distorsion »

Kindred87 wrote:So it's like a Trap, only with reversed genders xD. Unless Trap is a hentai-only genre...o.O
Nah, don't think so; even if it is, it doesn't have to be used that way.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Neolem

#13 Post by Neolem »

Yay, a murder mystery. I love (fictional) murder case stories :lol: I'm also making one myself :p
I already have some suspects lol, cannot wait to play it to prove me wrong :p

Will it be a reading only game? Or do you also have think and find clues etc like for example Phoenix Wright.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by SilverxBlue »

Neolem wrote:Yay, a murder mystery. I love (fictional) murder case stories :lol: I'm also making one myself :p
I already have some suspects lol, cannot wait to play it to prove me wrong :p

Will it be a reading only game? Or do you also have think and find clues etc like for example Phoenix Wright.
Me too! I'll be looking forward to that.

It's not really read-only... I've been trying to mess around with codes and see if I can actually make a mini-game for band practices, but I only end up failing miserably so... :|
But, yeah, you can gather clues and stuff... Zander would be the most excellent info gatherer and clue keeper for you. ^_^
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

kawaiiprods

#15 Post by kawaiiprods »

This looks great! I feel sad that the her twin died though. I hope that he is not actually dead somehow. xD He is so cute looking.