Memoirs of an Angel: Legends [GxB] [Fantasy RPG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ShadowBerry
Veteran
Projects: Yakuza Blossom

Re: Memoirs of an Angel [GxB] [Fantasy RPG]

#16 Post by ShadowBerry »

Wow it's amazing!
Not only that its also a RPG with stats, classes, fights ...etc~ its an otome game!!
The characters look very good with even an own deep character.
What I also like is the fact, that you can end up with the guy you try to defeat!
(Was always a fan of Good x Bad Romances xD)
Own project:

xxxSakura
Regular

#17 Post by xxxSakura »

I played the original game a few months back in 2011, so I'm pretty much anticipating for the "remake". With that being said, the CG art you showed up there was absolutely gorgeous! It took me awhile to realise that Zuleika was really blinking xD

Asterisk
Regular

#18 Post by Asterisk »

Aww any kind of customization is good~ it's great you even let the player have some kind of choice ^^
It's very time consuming I'm sure if you had a ton of customizations! I'm looking forward to everything else~!
Why do I think I will try to aim for the villain ending hahaha
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#19 Post by Nellie »

I"ve finally played it!

I'd say it's pretty good - it raged me when the demo ended, because I wanted to continue reading! That seldom happened to me, because I have a short attention spam xD So kudos there =)

The pacing seems decent as well, the sound effects are nicely place.

I like the customization of the main character's 'disguise', though I think there could be more options but I understand that graphics might be costly, plus it's just an add-on feature xD

Please keep going! Keeping an eye for updates! (although I don't stalk around as much as some xD)

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#20 Post by broken_angel »

ShadowBerry, xxxSakura, Asterisk - Thank you. C:

I was surprised by the fanbase Nefferon managed to acquire when I released the original, even though I didn't even go into any of the details of his backstory or reasons behind his actions. This time around, though, his story ended up evolving to become the focus of the whole game, so that his romance is just as canon as Chael's. I wonder how that will affect how many people choose his path. xP

Nellie - What additional customization options would you have liked to see, if I may ask?
I can't promise that I'll implement them, but I'll certainly consider adding them if possible.

broken_angel
Veteran

#21 Post by broken_angel »

Once I get an idea in my head (i.e. "need more customization"), it's hard to get it out. >.<

So, I was messing around this weekend, and I managed to come up with...*drum roll* new hairstyles~!

There are now 7 hairstyles in total (though if you count the fact that you can show or hide the ear on each one, then it's actually 14). The color options are the same as before, but have been redone so they look a lot nicer.

But that's not all! :twisted:

I'm also making new outfits for all the characters. Half-way through, there will be a time skip of sorts, after which the characters will change to either a "light" class or a "dark" class. I've taken it upon myself to make new outfits for them depending on which class they've changed to. For example, here is Chael after he's turned into a knight (yes, I know the pose is weird... give me a break, I'm not an artist).

Since Zuleika has four different class possibilities, she'll have at least four new outfits, but I plan to make a few more that can be won in boss battles or bought (for extremely high prices) in certain shops.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by try10 »

SO COOL! I love the hairstyles! XD

It really nice and original that the characters have outfits depending on the class that they have changed to. :D

applegirl
Veteran

#23 Post by applegirl »

Replayed the demo and still feeling completely amazed by how professional and intriguing it is. The art/characters/writing just pull me in completely and I must say: excellent job. I wish there was something wrong so I could offer some kind of helpful suggestion, but I honestly cannot think of a single thing that doesn't seem exceptionally well done.

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#24 Post by Nellie »

I now feel kinda guilty for making irresponsible comments >_<

But I LOVE the new hairstyle and blue colour! =)

broken_angel
Veteran

#25 Post by broken_angel »

Thanks, everyone.
I'm glad you like the new hairstyles as well as the game itself. C:

Nellie - Haha, don't feel guilty. I had been thinking about adding hairstyles for a while, but just never had the push to do it. Your "irresponsible comment" helped make the game better, so be happy~ :o

AERenoir
Veteran

#26 Post by AERenoir »

Whoa. Look at those super-cool features you programmed. These are all stuff you picked up from the Cookbooks and Wiki? I can't understand how to work with half of the features Ren'py has. I totally need a Ren'py tutor :P

Can't wait to see what kind of stuff I can encounter with Nefferon this time around. Bad guys are awesome.

RedJ

#27 Post by RedJ »

This looks great! One of the things that i miss with most RPG's is the lack of a good non-cliché story, so Memoirs of an Angel is right up my alley =D.

broken_angel
Veteran

#28 Post by broken_angel »

AERenoir - The code for a customizable character isn't actually that difficult once you get the hang of it. It just gets a bit long and complicated when you add more and more elements. xD It's essentially just a combination of ConditionSwitches and LiveComposites. There may be a cleaner way to do it, but this is the easiest method for me.

Code: Select all

init:
    image zuleika = LiveComposite(
        (255, 441), ## Size of the image.
        (0, 0), "Sprites/ZuleikaUndressed.png", ## This is the base image.
        (0, 0), "zuleikaoutfit", ## A separate image that determines which outfit she's wearing and adds it on top of the base image.
        (121, 38), "Sprites/ZuleikaN.png", ## This is just an image of her "normal" expression, added on top of the base image.
        (121, 48), "zuleikaeyes") ## A separate image that determines what eye color to use and adds it on top.
        )
    image zuleikaoutfit = ConditionSwitch(
        "zoutfit == 'princess'", "Sprites/ZuleikaOutfit - Princess.png",
        "zoutfit == 'travel'", "Sprites/ZuleikaOutfit - Travel.png",
        "zoutfit == 'naked'", Null()
        )
    image zuleikaeyes = ConditionSwitch(
        "zeyes == 'green'", Animation("Sprites/ZuleikaEO.png", 3.6, "Sprites/ZuleikaEC.png", 0.1),
        "zeyes == 'amber'", Animation("Sprites/ZuleikaEOA.png", 3.6, "Sprites/ZuleikaEC.png", 0.1),
        "zeyes == 'red'", Animation("Sprites/ZuleikaEOR.png", 3.6, "Sprites/ZuleikaEC.png", 0.1),
        "zeyes == 'black'", Animation("Sprites/ZuleikaEOG.png", 3.6, "Sprites/ZuleikaEC.png", 0.1),
        "zeyes == 'blue'", Animation("Sprites/ZuleikaEOB.png", 3.6, "Sprites/ZuleikaEC.png", 0.1),
        "zeyes == 'violet'", Animation("Sprites/ZuleikaEOV.png", 3.6, "Sprites/ZuleikaEC.png", 0.1),
        )
The key is finding good examples and then playing around with it to figure out how to customize it for your own purposes. I don't understand much about Ren'py code at all, but I've gotten as far as I have by adapting bits and pieces of code I've found from the Wiki and the help forum.

RedJ - I'm glad that you don't think it's cliché. xD That's something I worry about a lot, both in terms of the story and the characters.

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#29 Post by distorsion »

Looks niiiiice. No team? Poor you! I can't do much but I can proofread for grammar if you want help (I'm really good at it since my father is an english prof.).
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#30 Post by distorsion »

Also, where is the previous version? I wish to play it.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!