Tsuki no Sengoku: A fantasy story in Feudal Japan

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
elhlyn
Regular
Projects: Manorialism

Tsuki no Sengoku: A fantasy story in Feudal Japan

#1 Post by elhlyn »

the story itself; Tsuki no Sengoku means "Moon of the warring states" . the story takes place in you guessed it, the Sengoku era. In this world, there are more races then humans (okay that sounds very cheesy) In japan, they were referred as Youkai. this ranged from Kitsunes Onis, Inugai, Nekoes, and so on (not these are just people with animal ears). There were a lot more back then (such as Kappas, Tanukis, Akabeku, and so on) but they were all slaughtered in the Onin war.

The Onin war started out as a dispute between a father and son in law. this eventually led to a battle in front of the capital. this ruined the capital and they blamed the Youaki. This led to a genocide of non-human Jaanese acrossed Japan. the red and blue Onis (who were enemies) escaped to south west of Japan and formed the Ito-no Oni Ikki clan. many other Neko, Inugai, and Kitsune clans where destroyed and replaced. only a few clans such as the Hattori and the Tokugawa clans are led by Youkai. there was the Yato-no-kami clan; a legendary clan of snake demi-gods. who were exiled to the northern Islands of Japan. This led them to give gifts to the major warlords. If the gifts were not presented back to the clan, they summon Nazumu; a Giant cat-fish Youkai to cause an earthquake and Tsunami to destroy Japan. The items itself are actually pieces of armor and items for an average peasant soldier.

this story has 2 main routes. but it all starts like this:
Main characters Kyoko Satake and Aoi Tsuki meet after Aoi is jacked up by Yakuza, and is left in front of Kyoko's temple where she lives. She takes care of him and they get to know each other, having some ecchi situations along the way. Aoi leaves secretly and a charm that Koyoko has beeen told to protect disappears at the same time; but Aoi did not steal it. She goes looking for him and eventually finds him. they end up searching for the charm and sees the person who stole it and chase after him. this is where the story splits in to 2 routes (literally 2 paths to either down the road to a forest or a costal village that then through series of events drop them in portugal.)

Kyoko and Aoi stay in Japan and go on a quest to find the charm, and to gather some special objects to present to the yato-no-kami clan, who will destroy Japan in a giant Tsunami if the various random objects from remnants and risen clans are not presented to them. Note that the Yato-no-kami clan are not trying to be total a-holes, It's simply revenge from their Exile and the genocide of the Onin war (a war that ruined the captail which led to genocide of many non humans in Japan... this leads to the Sengoku period).

The second route is that Kyoko and Aoi accidently gets aboard on a ship that leaves Japan, and while sailing, are attacked by wako pirates. During that, they are saved by a Portugese elf merchant named Dimas, and they sail with him to Portugal. There, Dimas leaves them and Kyoko and Aoi are stuck on their own for awhile. After wandering a forest, lost and hungry, they find an abandoned temple where after bathing in the pools, they swich genders. They later find Dimas while exiting the forests and tehy discover that there are gender swapping temples and they are pretty normal there. They also find out that in order to swich back, they have to travel to England from Portugal because they heard rumors of nobles in England who can use magic to turn them back to normal

Currently I got the most of the story ready and well I currently have 1 artist and she is going to have a lot of work =w= last i check there are at least more than 30 characters in the whole story
and I currently lack a Scene artist.

and the Music? :( its hard to find. Most of the music I plan to use is from the Yoshida brothers (Japanese musicians who have released several albums under the Domo Records. The two brothers are performers of the traditional Japanese music style of Tsugaru-jamisen which originated in northern Japan.)
hopefully there won't be any legal issues =w=.

There are actually more than 26 characters in the whole game but since I got my artist very recently, it seems that I can't do any of the "character fact sheet" that everyone else on the forums are doing =w= I feel left out.
Attachments
This is my failed attempt of a portrayal of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (kudos to you if you know who he is) He's suppose to sort of look like a monkey... my friend wanted him to be a Bishi (feminine boy)
This is my failed attempt of a portrayal of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (kudos to you if you know who he is) He's suppose to sort of look like a monkey... my friend wanted him to be a Bishi (feminine boy)
323248_269482826486746_551747761_o.jpg
=w=
=w=
Aoi and Kyo in the 2nd route
Aoi and Kyo in the 2nd route
This one is concept art by Jeje. The rest are just Base drawings ( someone drew the body figures and face while people like me add in the details of the character)
This one is concept art by Jeje. The rest are just Base drawings ( someone drew the body figures and face while people like me add in the details of the character)
523631_268669543234741_1725575804_n.jpg
Last edited by elhlyn on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Tsuki no Sengoku: A fantasy story in Feudal Japan

#2 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Just a little suggestion: you should probably display the pictures in the post rather than just provide links to them. For the sake of convenience, I mean. People usually don't like having to click additional links. 0:

miaverana
Regular
Completed: Nothing at all~ ^w^
Projects: Amy's Super Life, Princess of the Death (belong to Princesses Series)
Organization: ~o0o Valonia o0o~

#3 Post by miaverana »

Finally you made a thread here ^w^. Even though I have said this, but again, good luck with your project~ d>u<b

(I totally agreed with what Victoria-san has said, you should follow her suggestion :3).

elhlyn
Regular

#4 Post by elhlyn »

Victoria Jennings wrote:Just a little suggestion: you should probably display the pictures in the post rather than just provide links to them. For the sake of convenience, I mean. People usually don't like having to click additional links. 0:
I wish but for some reason it was too big =w= I was like screw it make all of them URL links.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

elhlyn
Regular

#5 Post by elhlyn »

I admit there are certain "blanks" in the story that hasn't been decided yet. the biggest 1 is probably the main character encountering the Takeda family. I personally have no Idea what good ideas to present when the main characters (aoi, Kyoko, and 2 other people) encounter Takeda Shingen. there are 3 important things to note about the Takeda family; 1. They are great rivals of the yamanouchi-Uesugi clan, 2. Takeda clans are famous for war horses and cavalrymen, and 3. Takeda Shingen (the leader of the clan) had 24 retainers (loyal subjects)

It would be great if you can present an Idea (and maybe even add a character in the story if you want)

EroBotan
Veteran

#6 Post by EroBotan »

I suggest to split the story into episodes and focus on working on episode 1 first. Because 26+ character is really really a lot o.o;

salis
Regular
Projects: Too many~!

#7 Post by salis »

Having a passionate interest in Japanese mythological creatures, I’m really excited about this! It’ll be neat to see how you portray each Youkai and their relationships to one another. (Also, I believe the plural for Youkai, Kitsune, Neko, etc. is Youkai, Kitsune, Neko, etc., not “Kitsunes.”) However, I completely agree with EroBotan; 26+ characters is a lot! You should definitely consider splitting the story up into episodes or reducing your number of characters, especially if this is your first time creating a visual novel. 26 characters is difficult to keep track of, both for a writer and a reader, and if each of them has their own sprite, that’s a massive amount of work for one artist. Also, one more suggestion; you might want to get a proofreader to double-check your writing. There’s a lot of typos, grammar mistakes, and lack of proper punctuation marks in your story summary, and it's always good to have a second opinion on your script. But anyway, best of luck to you and your team on this! I'll be looking forward to it!
ImageImageImage
If you'd like to contact me, please email me at: sal.com@live.com

elhlyn
Regular

#8 Post by elhlyn »

yes the story is split in to Acts (or books)

one update I might add (I don't know if i wrote down) but note that Most of the Youkai have been killed in a mass genocide we call the Onin war. there are only a few clans such as the Tokugawa clan, ruled by a line of Neko (though most of their loyal subjects were human) and the Ito no Oni Ikki; a clan forged by red and blue Oni (hence their clan color being purple) and such.

and Also I really didn't care at the momment for any typos, grammar and such, my main point is to get the idea to everyone, though thanks for the heads up about such things Salis, I didn't notice it at the time.