Miranda, Princess at Heart parts 1-10ish [COMPLETED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sonorousgem
Regular

Miranda, Princess at Heart parts 1-10ish [COMPLETED]

#1 Post by sonorousgem »

Okay, i don't really know what I'm doing, this is my first time making a game and my first day on this forum...

but i thought that through this i would be able to at least get my game out there... so here it is... (part 1, anyways).
i hope it works??

EDIT 9/4/13: This project is completed! Am I supposed to delete this post immediately? I'll let it stay here for the moment...

EDIT 8/15/13: Part 10ish is here. Yes, it's part 10ISH. In every part, you have to make a choice. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the choices you make in part 10 involve all the parts (that is, once I put everything together). So, in part 10ish there is no choice. But of course I can't have any endings if there aren't any choices. So you can only see a preview like thingy. Not that playing this part won't help you. ;)]
And Garrett has to come back in this part.
EDIT 8/12/13: Part 9, another short one, is out! And I've finally decided there will be 10 parts. (So only one more!)
Wow, I just realized that I said the English project would be due a week after the first day (Wednesday) in part 1, and then at the end of part 6, it's been almost 2 weeks and it hasn't happened. I'm going to extend the due date of the project to three weeks from that first Wednesday when everything comes together just because I can XD
...also, in Part 6's CG, I will draw in Jen's necklace in the final version :P
Because no one has indicated that they download the parts from my site, I will only be uploading parts 6 and on here. You can still see summaries, screenshots, and CGs of these parts on the website, but the files will only be here. (I'd suggest having two tabs open :)) I'm sorry there are so many files...

Progress:
Story: 100%
Script: 100%
Coding: 100%
Sprites: 100%
"CG"s: 100%
Music and Sound: 100%
Proofreading: 15% ;A;

Thank you for 316 downloads ^_^
I'm sorry I haven't been able to make too much progress...

hey, I made a website with all the parts I have on it! you can find it at https://sites.google.com/site/mirandaprincessatheart/
It has pretty much everything I've put on here in a more organized fashion :)
I'll still upload future parts in this post, but parts 1-5 will also be uploaded there.

Part 10ish
Miranda part 10-1.0-mac.zip
part 10ish for mac users
(10.38 MiB) Downloaded 262 times
Miranda part 10-1.0-win.zip
part 10ish for windows users
(12.08 MiB) Downloaded 454 times
Part 9
Miranda part 9-1.0-mac.zip
part 9 for mac users
(10.72 MiB) Downloaded 245 times
Miranda part 9-1.0-win.zip
part 9 for windows users
(12.43 MiB) Downloaded 370 times
Part 8
Miranda part 8-1.0-mac.zip
part 8 for mac users
(9.89 MiB) Downloaded 242 times
Miranda part 8-1.0-win.zip
part 8 for windows users
(11.73 MiB) Downloaded 362 times
Part 7
Miranda part 7-1.0-mac.zip
part 7 for mac users
(10.85 MiB) Downloaded 246 times
Miranda part 7-1.0-win.zip
part 7 for windows users
(12.7 MiB) Downloaded 389 times
Part 6
Miranda part 6-1.0-mac.zip
part 6 for mac users
(10.27 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
Miranda part 6-1.0-win.zip
part 6 for windows users
(12.12 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
Part 5
Miranda part 5-1.0-mac.zip
part 5 for mac users
(9.75 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
Miranda part 5-1.0-win.zip
part 5 for windows users
(11.6 MiB) Downloaded 397 times
Part 4
Miranda part 4-1.0-mac.zip
part 4 for mac users
(8.94 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
Miranda part 4-1.0-win.zip
part 4 for windows users
(10.79 MiB) Downloaded 389 times
Part 3
Miranda part 3-1.0-mac.zip
part 3 for mac users
(12.14 MiB) Downloaded 258 times
Miranda part 3-1.0-win.zip
part 3 for windows users
(13.99 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
Part 2
Miranda part 2-1.0-mac.zip
part 2 for mac users
(9.34 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
Miranda part 2-1.0-win.zip
part 2 for windows users
(11.18 MiB) Downloaded 396 times
Part 1
Miranda Visual Novel-1.0-all.zip
(54.32 MiB) Downloaded 786 times
Last edited by sonorousgem on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Cadenza
Regular
Projects: Ghost Memory

Re: Miranda, Princess at Heart part 1

#2 Post by Cadenza »

You should probably put up some screencaps/info about your story before linking a download. Some people might not be willing to download a file that they're not positive is legitimate.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#3 Post by Kato »

^ This. But I'm gonna live life on the edge and try it anyway! :3
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

sonorousgem
Regular

#4 Post by sonorousgem »

right! (at least, I think I know what you mean?)
I did while it was uploading, but it never turned up?

Okay, a summary of this part: Miranda is a junior in high school who often stays home alone because her parents are busy working in the entertainment industry. When she accidentally breaks their favorite glass, they hire a babysitter who isn't what she expects.

it's a romantic visual novel thing, but you can only get with one guy (sorry). Also i'm sorry that the title doesn't make sense yet... it will when I continue!

um... screenshots? (is that what you meant?) i think i can do that...? o.O

sonorousgem
Regular

#5 Post by sonorousgem »

okay, screen shots...
ummmmm... (lol i don't even...)

ok, if i did this right, I've included the picture from the title (not a screenshot, but whatever) and... a screenshot of Joey, Miranda's best friend.

A little about Joey: (because he's the only character I actually have a picture of)
Joey, like Miranda, is a junior in high school (though he's fairly short for one). He and Miranda are neighbors and have known each other since 8th grade, when Joey first moved into the district. Joey is Miranda's closest friend, but their friendship is somewhat limited by his participation in the high school marching band, which sucks up all his time. To Miranda, Joey is nice and understanding, and they often feel the same way about things, like twins would.
He's never mentioned it, but as Miranda finds out, he has an older brother- Garrett- who is apparently very popular at the school. Why didn't Miranda know about this...?

well, we'll find out later ;)

and no, sorry, you can't get with Joey.
Attachments
joey screenshot1.jpg
joey screenshot1.jpg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 15140 times
title1 part1.jpg
Last edited by sonorousgem on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kato »

Played through it! :D The arts really cute, background music was pleasant, you got yourself 'Kato's Thumbs Up of Approval'! :) Haha
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

sonorousgem
Regular

#7 Post by sonorousgem »

wow, really?! thanks!
you're good... i have a hard time even getting it to open, and I put it out there lol

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kato »

sonorousgem wrote:wow, really?! thanks!
you're good... i have a hard time even getting it to open, and I put it out there lol
There was a problem trying to unpack the python packages when it unzipped but it didn't seem to effect the game at all.
Image Image

sonorousgem
Regular

main characters in this part

#9 Post by sonorousgem »

Miranda (see picture below): A junior in high school, daughter of a busy dancer and actor. As a result, she is often left at home alone. She is generally very responsible and studious, so she doesn't need to rely on others for school or at home. However, Miranda is kind to others and even goes out of her way to help them.
She is reserved, even as a narrator, but can hold conversations, especially with people she knows well. Miranda also tends to be very passive, even if she does care about something, because she strongly (and naively?) believes that everyone has good intentions. This leads into troublesome situations because it stops her from standing up for herself and allows others to easily take advantage of her.
Most of Miranda's friends aren't close to her, and her best friend Joey unwillingly spends minimal time with her, so she often finds herself lonely. This will change eventually, though, and Miranda's kind efforts may be recognized.

Garrett (see screenshot below): A popular senior in high school that Miranda hasn't heard of before (somehow). She has only met him one time, so she doesn't know him in the context of school, but he is apparently a successful actor in the drama department. Joey is his brother, so Garrett is also Miranda's neighbor. Her parents hired him as Miranda's babysitter when they saw him outside the apartment (probably due to his charm?). To Miranda, Garrett has already showed himself as kind, handsome, and polite: qualities she doesn't often see in other people.

yep, Garrett is the only guy you can get with at the end, so you will get to know him better when I continue. :wink:
Attachments
garrett screenshot.jpg
garrett screenshot.jpg (17.07 KiB) Viewed 15035 times
miranda profile.jpg
miranda profile.jpg (10.49 KiB) Viewed 15035 times

elf22dao

#10 Post by elf22dao »

Really cute cant wait for the rest of it! Keep up the great work!! :D

sonorousgem
Regular

#11 Post by sonorousgem »

elf22dao wrote:Really cute cant wait for the rest of it! Keep up the great work!! :D
yay, thank you! i plan to post other characters and parts soon! :)

sonorousgem
Regular

#12 Post by sonorousgem »

Here is part 2~!! :D

I didn't expect to finish this so soon, but I had a lot of free time yesterday, so... I did.

I timed it this time: it only takes 10-15 minutes to play through both paths (and the 1st one is slightly shorter, so that one probably takes like 10 minutes).

Summary: Joey tells Miranda a little bit about his atypical relationship with his brother Garrett. She then goes home to find Garrett, and he agrees to go to her old daycare with her to play with the kids and help out. While discussing schedules, Garrett suddenly asks Miranda to audition for the female lead role of the school musical. Following events depend on whether or not Miranda chooses to audition.

I've also included a couple of screenshots: the one of Garrett alone basically sums up the entire part, and the second one of both brothers lets you in on their "atypical relationship". X)

Edit: I once again had a lot of trouble trying to open up my own file... I'm sorry about all the error messages! It should work fine if you press "skip" on everything...! (for windows, anyway... i'm really bad with this stuff! :( )
Attachments
part 2 screenshots.jpg
Miranda part 2-1.0-all.zip
(54.27 MiB) Downloaded 317 times

sonorousgem
Regular

#13 Post by sonorousgem »

I'm introducing a new character in part 3!
His name is Xavier. He should throw a little bit of a twist into the story... I'm not sure exactly how I want to use him right now.
xavier screenshot.jpg
xavier screenshot.jpg (18.33 KiB) Viewed 14635 times
And I've also included this picture... well, no comment. Yet. If you like him already I'll feel like a failure. *sob*
xav-mir1.jpg

sonorousgem
Regular

#14 Post by sonorousgem »

So I have been working on this. In fact, I'm 99.9999% done with Part 3.

It's just that I like to both improvise and not have any loopholes... to avoid plotholes/inconsistencies I decided to actually plan ahead for once and write more scripting! :)
It might take me a while, but hopefully it's worth it.

The audition happens in this part!
dancing screenshot.jpg
But yes, Miranda will have to dance... o.O

Also, I put in this line for Joey for my sister, who thinks Garrett's name should be Gary. (I would be fine with this except that I know a Gary or two and the name doesn't really fit his character... I have a hard time with names... ._.)
gary screenshot.jpg
gary screenshot.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 14194 times
The picture I posted above of Xavier and Miranda is the only "CG" in this part. I think I could work harder on CGs, but I have very little experience with them (and my art programs in general) so that'll probably have to wait for other projects (if any). :P

sonorousgem
Regular

#15 Post by sonorousgem »

so hey, before i post my 6th response in a row, can anyone help me understand how to code properly?
i guess i could do more research, but i'm just confused as to what all the True/False stuff means in the configuration (idk what i'm talking about) stuff, and how i can release the different parts without having you downloaders skip through the error messages...?