Story of Dream Infinite [Comedy][Fantasy] DOWNLOAD BETA NOW!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
cesullivan
Regular
Completed: Story of Dream Infinite (Open Beta)
Projects: Story of Dream Infinite
Organization: C.E. Sullivan Games

Story of Dream Infinite [Comedy][Fantasy] DOWNLOAD BETA NOW!

#1 Post by cesullivan »

Download Open Beta Version Now at cesullivangames.com/sodi

(As of 3:30 AM CST 12/5/2013, everything should work. Sorry if you tried earlier and the download link was broken!)

In Story of Dream Infinite, you’ll play as Micah, a 14 year old girl who is a little bit too "drawn into" the world of her video game...

After Micah’s portable game console is confiscated by her English teacher (to the amusement of her classmates), she falls asleep in class. Upon opening her eyes, she finds herself in a world similar to the one from the RPG she had been playing. She also finds that her traveling partner looks a lot like Ethyn, the condescending over-achiever who sits next to her in class, and that the land is ruled by an evil sorceress who looks a lot like her English teacher.

You’ll have to use Micah’s newly discovered magical powers to flee from the sorceress’s minions (for some reason, they seem to think she issued some sort of challenge to the sorceress). Along the way, you’ll join up with an entrepreneurial white mage, meet the potato people, fight an anthropomorphic cat…just your typical jaunt through an alternate universe. You can also try to win the affections of Micah’s companions, but that part is entirely up to you!

The game is currently in Open Beta. The full PC/Mac/Linux versions of the game will also be free to download.
Characters
Name: Micah
Star Sign: Aries
Favorite Subjects: Art, Athletics
Interests/Hobbies: Drawing, Video Games, Manga
Family: Micah's mother is an artist who is always working on some kind of weird video project or kinetic sculpture--usually in the living room of their home. Micah really isn't sure what her father does, but when he's not working from home, sometimes he wears a tie to work. Micah doesn't have any siblings.

Name: Ethyn
Star Sign: Capricorn
Favorite Subjects: Debate, Theater
Interests/Hobbies: Writing, Indie Films, Video Games
Family: Ethyn's parents are both lawyers, and they aren't home that much, which means that most days, he's stuck staying at home with his younger sister, who's still in middle school. Which is fine with him--he'd rather sit at home and write a short story or watch a movie than actually go anywhere, anyway.

Name: Jessie
Star Sign: Libra
Favorite Subjects: Computer Science, Choir
Interests/Hobbies: Ball Jointed Dolls, Crafts/Knitting, Visual Novels
Family: Jessie's mother directs the music program at her family's church and occasionally sings in the chorus of a local opera company, but currently, she's on maternity leave while pregnant with her fifth child. Meanwhile, Jessie's father is overseas, working on a documentary. As might be expected, Jessie ends up helping her mother out quite a bit around the house, but since she's actually only the second oldest, she's still able to find quite a bit of time to herself.

Name: Ms. Fields
Star sign: Taurus
Interests/Hobbies: Classic Literature, Poetry, and her "Secret Hobby"
Family: She probably has parents and siblings somewhere. However, she isn't married or in a serious relationship yet, so she lives alone. She can't seem to meet anyone who shares her interests (not that she's really been looking). She does have a cat, who doesn't seem to like anyone but her.

Screenshots/Video

Okay, so here's the deal...

This is going to be my first published visual novel. This actually began as a project for a graduate course in interactive narrative.

I decided to do my own artwork, this being my first visual novel and all. I feel like I should prove myself by making at least one VN on my own before I try to get outside help, which is something that Aya from Sake Visual advises at her Anime Fest panel (I've been a couple of times in the past few years; it's what pointed me towards Ren'py and the English visual novel community in the first place). Anyway, I'm actually having fun with it, and I think I might be getting a little better at, you know, drawing and stuff ;P

So, this is what I'd like to know right now...

Does this sound interesting to you? Would you play this? Does my artwork totally turn you off? Do you need more information?

(Would you like to read my dev blog? My dev blog would love it if you did. It gets very lonely sometimes. It's located here: http://www.storyofdreaminfinite.wordpress.com. You can also find it on Planet EVN.)
Last edited by cesullivan on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Awake Ublasti, foxy fire goddess...forget love, let's play a Combustion game!"
Story of Dream Infinite dev blog@ http://www.storyofdreaminfinite.wordpress.com | Works in Progress Thread Here

Annie Quinn
Regular

Re: Story of Dream Infinite [Comedy][Fantasy][GxBxGx???]

#2 Post by Annie Quinn »

Haha, this sounds like a pretty fun game. This sounds delightfully ambitious, so best of luck! I'll definitely be checking it out.

(P.S. The artwork isn't bad at all. In fact, I commend you for doing this all your own—it looks lovely for a solo project.)

cesullivan
Regular

Re: Story of Dream Infinite [Comedy][Fantasy][GxBxGx???]

#3 Post by cesullivan »

<lets out a little squeal, because someone finally commented on her project>

Thanks! Fun is definitely what I'm going for. And thanks for the comment about the artwork not being bad for a solo project...I'm trying to push my limited artistic abilities as much as I can in the short amount of time that I have before the release date, but there's only so much I can do when I've never been that serious about learning things like inking or shading...or how to draw hair properly...well, at least I'm not too bad a hand with Photoshop, anyway ^_^;;
Story of Dream Infinite dev blog@ http://www.storyofdreaminfinite.wordpress.com | Works in Progress Thread Here

cesullivan
Regular

Re: Story of Dream Infinite [Comedy][Fantasy] DOWNLOAD BETA

#4 Post by cesullivan »

For now I've decided to release the game as an open beta, since I'm not 100% sure it's finished.

You can download it at cesullivangames.com/sodi.

Right now, only the Windows version is available, but I'm going to try to have the Mac and Linux versions up tomorrow--Is just didn't want to put them up without testing hem first.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#5 Post by Googaboga »

Congrats on releasing a beta :mrgreen:. The game sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get around to playing it (I told myself I wasn't going to play anymore VNs until school was out >.>) but I'll be sure to download it and give it a try when I have the chance.

I really like Ms. Fields by the way X3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#6 Post by Haze »

Played the beta, and wow, I loved it. I'd actually been waiting for the game to come out on Thanksgiving, so I'm glad I got to play it now. :D
I loved how the game was constantly lampshading itself. "Was that a deus ex machina solution right there?" "COMPLETELY SENSELESS DEATH" " "Repeating the same four things all day...'Welcome to the Apothecary' 'Would you like to buy something' 'What do you want to sell?' 'Thank you!'" "We can't run from the sorceress-if we did, nothing interesting would happen." . Man, I loved it. It was just so hilarious. The ending with Ms.Fields/Kawaii Ichigo is...oh my goodness, it was just great. Speaking of endings, I've gotten 4 out of 5 so far, haven't found Ending 4 yet.
The only thing I disliked about it was that it was so short. It seems like an intro to a larger work to me.
You ended with a sequel hook and everything! Will they get in the Sorceress's castle? Will they die a completely senseless death, or will the sorceress be defeated? :lol: Plus, touching the rock saves the game, so it seems that the game isn't over just yet to me.
Is there more, or is the game's story complete?
Also, in case you're not aware, there's a way to enter the Konami code in Renpy manually through the keyboard. I think the choices are fine as they are, but here's a link anyway.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

cesullivan
Regular

#7 Post by cesullivan »

Haze wrote:Played the beta, and wow, I loved it. I'd actually been waiting for the game to come out on Thanksgiving, so I'm glad I got to play it now. :D
Thanks! I am actually shocked that anyone was waiting for the game to come out. I didn't think anyone was really paying attention ^_^;; Sorry it was late...
Haze wrote:The only thing I disliked about it was that it was so short. It seems like an intro to a larger work to me.
You ended with a sequel hook and everything! Will they get in the Sorceress's castle? Will they die a completely senseless death, or will the sorceress be defeated? :lol: Plus, touching the rock saves the game, so it seems that the game isn't over just yet to me.
Is there more, or is the game's story complete?
It is actually intended to have a sequel, or possibly be the beginning of a series. Since I was using this as a project for a class, I had to keep the scope small and finish by the due date. I'm not entirely sure when I'm going to have time to actually work on the sequel though. I know I have to do a big project next semester that has to be based on an existing transmedia world, so that will probably take up most of my time next semester. And I want to make a few changes to this game over Christmas break before I release the "finished" version.
One thing I'm thinking of doing is changing the way that you get Ending 4--I think I might have made it a little too complicated for anyone to actually get it.
Probably, next summer I'll be able to work on the sequel.

cesullivan
Regular

#8 Post by cesullivan »

Just as an update (if anyone's still interested at all), I'm going to try to get the final version out before the new school semester starts, which for me is January 14th. I probably won't release the Mac/Linux versions of the beta after all. While I intended to get out my old Mac and install a Linux Virtual box for testing, I got kind of busy before Christmas, and I've been sick the past couple of days. Yeah, I know...excuses, excuses -_-;;

Anyway, I think I know what I'm going to fix now, so I'm just going to fix those couple of things, then release it so I can get ready to move on to the next project (which may or may not be a visual novel).