In Orbit [GxG Otome] [Romance/Sci-fi]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

In Orbit [GxG Otome] [Romance/Sci-fi]

#1 Post by Greeny »

The movies have taught us everything we need to know about alien life. They're blue, ugly, probably tentacled, they communicate telepathically and they're here to use superior technology to enslave our barbaric little planet. Meanwhile, in reality...

A single alien observation ship floats undetected in orbit. Their orders are clear: No contact with the human species. But when their only doctor falls ill and is unable to diagnose, let alone treat herself, they have no choice but get help from the nearest planet... Earth.

Characters:

She considers herself a very rational person, although it does her absolutely no good when she has her head in the clouds at all times. So when she finds herself with her head well above the clouds, will she be able to keep her cool? It's challenging enough making sense of aliens that look almost perfectly human and trying to tackle the task they set upon her, but the line between human and alien starts to get blurry when love is in the air...

It's quite unusual, when the first person you meet aboard an advanced military spacecraft is a socially awkward pacifist with authority issues. With a deep fascination of cultures and an extaordinary talent for languages, it's no surpise that Chief Scout Fan'Zu'Qi, nickname Zooky, was appointed to deal with the human guest for the duration of her stay.

She hails from planet Amnata, pioneer and powerhouse amongst the two planets of the Biglobal Union.

For someone with a mystery disease contracted from an alien planet, she seems to take it all a little too lightly. It doesn't have to be funny, if a joke can be made, it needs to be made. Especially if the joke is pervy and the look on your human doctor's face is just adorable. The real question is, will she be able to keep her hands to herself for long enough to get treated, and what kind of person really lies behind the mask of wit?

Fei hails from planet Nu'Tam, newcomer to the interplanetary civilization and troublemaker of some renown.

Because it's not officially part of the Biglobal Union military, it's anyone's guess what a soldier of the Amnata secret service's elite lapdog unit is doing on board of the military's low-priority covert observation mission. It's certainly not going to be the soldiers who ask her, they'd prefer to keep as much distance between themselves and her as is possible on a cramped spaceship. Nobody knows much for certain about the Black Tactics unit, but there are many wild rumors...

He was once the first Nu'Nam captain to be granted the rank of Admiral since the conversion of the Amnata Space Fleet to the Biglobal Union Military. A great honor, and well earned. So the fact that he's now down to Vice Admiral may explain why he's so grumpy so often, but don't speak about it to his face.

Progress:

Script: 53%
Sprites: 16.8%
Backgrounds: 16%
CGs: Eventually
Music: 61%
SFX: 0%
Voice: 0%
GUI: 20%
Programming: 10%

Project goals:

In Orbit is certainly by all means primarily a Romance story first, sci-fi second. There are a number of things I want to achieve with this. I want to write a story that centrally has a gay romance, without being about homosexuality, or blantantly catering towards the other gender. I also want to try and subvert a number of tired old tropes in the romance genre, without derailing it into a parody and still being close enough to what people expect to be a comfortable, enjoyable romance story. And I also want a story where the subplot remains solid throughout the whole story, instead of fading into the background once the smooching begins.

In Orbit will have interactive elements, as well as multiple endings to achieve, but whichever romance you choose to pursue, I have a particular story to tell so interaction will be somewhat limited. I'm aiming for an average novel-length story on any given playthrough, so in practice the word count will be around 150 000. It will be released commercialy, along with a free demo.

The team:

Writer, producer, programmer, visionary, #1-guy: Greeny
Editor-in-chief: BonBocchan
Chief Executive Artist: Kaireen
Composer: PENDING REVIEW
GUI Designer: asterisk0228
Last edited by Greeny on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: In Orbit [GxG Otome] [Romance/Sci-fi]

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Sounds awesome! (plus it's yuri so it's even better)
i'll cry if you yell at me

bellice
Veteran

#3 Post by bellice »

Hell to the f-ing yes.

I definitely like what I'm hearing so far. I love playing oblivious protagonists. It usually makes for a few very entertaining situations. The love interests are all very interesting and varied. If you really do manage to avert some of those old romance tropes, then you can be sure that I'll be buying this. My thirst for good lesbian romance is endless, y'all.

Looking forward to hearing more!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#4 Post by KittyKatStar »

Yes yes yes x100

Romance and Sci Fi annnnd it's GxG? This is beyond beautiful.

ngareci
Regular
Completed: Grinning Heart: the meeting & the voyage, Nacira

#5 Post by ngareci »

It looks interesting!
I like the characters! Good luck on this project!~
Completed Project
Image Image Image
===========================
Deviantart

vance

#6 Post by vance »

Interesting.
One question though; will this game have choices? Will you be able to romance Vei Agni for example, instead of Fan'zu'qi?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#7 Post by noeinan »

This looks awesome, and the art is gorgeous! :D Doing the sci-fi dance.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#8 Post by Razz »

Whooooaaaaaa *excited*

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Greeny »

vance wrote:Interesting.
One question though; will this game have choices? Will you be able to romance Vei Agni for example, instead of Fan'zu'qi?
Yes, there will be choices! There are three potential love interests. A cookie to anyone who can guess which ones they are.

I am terrible at revealing progress updates OTL
so I'll just leave this here:
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!

bellice
Veteran

#10 Post by bellice »

Greeny wrote: A cookie to anyone who can guess which ones they are.
The Vice Admiral, a clone of the main character and the drop dead gorgeous planet in the logo.
Now gimme dat cookie.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Greeny »

bellice wrote:
The Vice Admiral, a clone of the main character and the drop dead gorgeous planet in the logo.
Now gimme dat cookie.
H-How did you-?!!!

bellice
Veteran

#12 Post by bellice »

Greeny wrote:
bellice wrote:
Now gimme dat cookie.
H-How did you-?!!!
'Tis a gift, my dear.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Greeny »

Background images are coming in nicely this season! Such a bountiful harvest, I thought I might share.

In writing news, I've been going around refining the choices and flags a bit. Word of warning: I do not play by the

Code: Select all

menu:
     "Visit place where obviously you'll find romance interest #1":
           $ romance interest #1 flag = True
     "Visit place where obviously you'll find romance interest #2":
           $ romance interest #2 flag = True
     "Obvious dummy choice":
           jump worthless_piece_of_scene
school of visual novel branch design.
Ultimately, however, I didn't want to try and obfusciate which choices are romance flags, either. It will be easy to make sure you get the romance you want. Choices will mainly reflect the protagonists feelings on a situation, as well as giving you a hand in characters development.

In Orbit will be a relatively coherent, tight narrative (read: linear) all the way through, but you may be surprised how much your little choices in character development affect the endings!

Annie Quinn
Regular

#14 Post by Annie Quinn »

I really like this VN's concept. I'm a sucker for sci-fi romances. I think my favorite character is Zooky. Good luck with this project! (: I'll be keeping an eye on it.

bellice
Veteran

#15 Post by bellice »

Annie Quinn wrote:I really like this VN's concept. I'm a sucker for sci-fi romances. I think my favorite character is Zooky. Good luck with this project! (: I'll be keeping an eye on it.
I'm looking forward to Zooky as well, but...Agent 9....*drools on her desk* I mean, just look at those sexy sexy scars. <3