Black Lotus(BxB,Mystery,Horror,Thriller)-Update Please Read!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
pocoscon
Regular
Projects: Black Lotus(Hitatus), Lethal Love,

Black Lotus(BxB,Mystery,Horror,Thriller)-Update Please Read!

#1 Post by pocoscon »

12/18/14-So sorry for the lack of updates. The last month and a half has been really complicated. First school was bad due to my depression and then a few weeks back I kept getting stomach pain. This past week, I've been in the hospital in order to get surgery on a gal stone, which was the cause of the pain. It's because of all this that the writing is going slow and for the next week it will likely still be that way due to me having to rest :( . As for the art it is all being redone by Silversnow who is doing an amazing job. She's been working really hard for me and I'm a bit angry with myself for not being healthy. I'm really grateful for her for the motivation and keeping me on my toes. I'm hoping to write Black Lotus tomorrow and that the pain will cease. Anyway, sorry for the delay. Thanks to anyone who stay with this project.

Plot- After surviving a near suicide attempt and dealing with his inner demons, Yasu Yamada finds a ray of hope years later when doctors declare him mentally stable. With a father whose is dead, and no one else to care for him, he has no choice but to go back to his old hometown Nasae and live with his distant cousin. When arriving, he suddenly feels deep nostalgia and happiness because his youth was always in the town. Enter Takeda Moji, Yasu's childhood friend, who never learned the reason for why he left. Upon meeting again, the pair strike up their friendship quickly, and slowly, Yasu feels like his old life is coming back. However, even with himself feeling at home, Yasu quickly feels trapped and begins to think that his life is under someone's control. When getting a warning from Mariko Usagi, a girl know for her strange ways, about how the town isn't as happy as it seems, Yasu slowly remembers the events that took place before his departure from Nasae and how a single mistake caused the town to become infected by creatures known as the Tainted. But as he helps Mariko fend off these creatures, Yasu will learn that even the ones close to him may be hiding a very dark secret.

Characters
Yasu Yamada -Our protagonist. A full human with the special power of being able to see the Tainted. Yasu is a calm and collected guy, who doesn't have much trust in others because of how badly he was bullied for being pudgy. Though still looking basically the same, Yasu has come to care very little of what others think of him, and prefers to focus on his water coloring. When meeting his best friend again, Yasu's solitude is quickly gone, and he finds himself meeting old faces from his past. Though most see him as being cold and a loner, Yasu can actually be very friendly, especially to those who he cares about. Due to his suicide attempt though, he often keeps secrets about his past, and lies to everyone that he just left because of family problems. Yasu also has a love for chocolate which is close to being an obsession, and is afraid of anything sharp.

Takeda Moji-A Tengu who was Yasu's best friend before leaving. When learning of his return though, Takeda does everything in his power to fix the friendship they lost after Yasu left. During his childhood, Takeda was always bullied along with Yasu because of their status of being the 'trash' of the town. Takeda though, was always kind of knight in shinning armor for his best friend, and protected him from the bullies that always attacked them. When Yasu left though, he was strangely calm about his departure, and spent most of his time with Yoshiro. However, when his mother married Yoshiro's dad, Takeda changed his image into something that society would accept. Now older, Takeda has become a suave, charmer who is always being surrounded by girls. Funny thing is he doesn't actually date any of the girls that go after him, but isn't afraid to flirt with them either. His hobbies range from training his Tengu power, to going to the library and reading. Because of his friendly and outgoing nature, many in Nasae have come to trust him completely, and even Yasu is taken in by his positive aura. However, Takeda has never been able to fully forgive Yasu for leaving him alone, and secretly has a very bad taste for human flesh.

Yoshiro Moji- Another one of Yasu's childhood friends, and Takeda's stepbrother. Like Yasu, Yoshiro is a human, but has the special ability of being able to heal any wounds with great speed. However, the downside to this is that every time he uses his power, he loses a small portion of his life. As a child, Yoshiro was always confined to his room due to his father's fear for his life. However, upon sneaking out one day, he met Yuya and Takeda, and quickly became good friends with them. Since that meeting, Yoshiro always found ways to escape the eyes of his father to be with them, and was shown many of the beautiful places Nasae had to offer. However, Yoshiro's life became difficult when Yasu just went up and left, and lost a part of himself, with Takeda being the only one who could keep him happy. Now older, Yoshiro is still locked away in his room, but relishes in the music he creates during his free time. Personality wise, Yoshiro is timid, and very shy, often becoming scared when around too many unfamiliar faces. He highly looks up to Takeda however, and becomes happy when seeing Yasu again. Still, despite being sickly, Yoshiro still has a good heart, and is always trying to find way to help others. However, like Yasu, Yoshiro holds a secret, and might not actually be the pure person people have come to know him by.

Eren-A wolf who has been labeled as jungle boy because of his love for always going into the forest. As a child, Eren lost his parents in a tragic accident, and became an orphan, hiding out in caves that the forest had. During one of his many escapades of protecting his animal kin, he came across the trio and struck a very quick friendship with the three. For Eren, it was a happy time as he had no family to call his own. He was especially close with Yasu, and saw him as an older brother figure. However, upon Yasu's departure, Eren slowly began to hate the species that weren't animals because of how they treated him, and hurt the forest. Eventually, he frayed away from society, and forgot about the relationship he had with the trio, only seeing the animals as his true friends. Now, Eren spends most of his time protecting the forest, and killing anyone who threatens it or the animals. Many in Nasae have become afraid of him, and his violent nature. The only non-animal person he tolerates is Mana, due to how he cared for him. Upon learning of Yasu's return, Eren struggles with whether he should trust him, or kill him for the mistake he caused before he left. Despite seemingly being violent, Eren is still caring to those he loves, and secretly wants a family.

Keith- A 'snake' who is known as the trouble maker of the town. Even as a child, Keith loved to cause misfortune for others, and mischief. His greatest enemy though was Takeda due to how he always lost fights to the Tengu whenever he attacked Yasu or Yoshiro. Now older, Keith spends most of his time getting with girls, causing trouble, and using his demon powers to hurt other people. However, due to his high status, no one can touch him unless his father allows it. Keith is also a bit of a sadist, to the point that he 'gets off' at others pain. He still sees Takeda as his greatest enemy, and vows to destroy everything he cares for, especially if it's Yasu. However, even with being a rather insane and rash guy, Keith is very emotional, and has a hard understanding of love and friendship. So, in a way, Yasu has become a bit of an obsession for him in that he believes that Yasu holds the key for him to break away from his miserable life.

Ardalain Milest- A skilled witch who is always good at making others uncomfortable. Since a child, Ardalain has been spoiled rotten, and doesn't know the meaning of no. She often picked on Yasu and Mariko because of their 'creepy' looks, and enjoyed the attention her classmates gave her. Now older, she is basically the same, except for being the 'idol' of the town. Unlike the others, she doesn't care for Yasu's reappearance in town, but does care for the fact that her 'future husband' Takeda is spending so much time with him. Selfish, childish, and rude, one has to wonder how Ardalain is so 'liked'. It's probably because of her witch powers though. Is also a tad oblivious to others feelings for her, greatest example being Keith.

Mariko Usagi-A girl who shows up at the oddest moments. Mariko was never an outgoing girl during her younger days, and always had a way of making people disliking her because of her being a know it all. Yasu was one of the few though who could tolerate her, though the pair rarely got along. Now most of her days are spent at the shrine trying to find out what these strange creatures are. When realizing Yasu's return though, Mariko becomes wary of him, and believes he's the reason for all the trouble the town is having. Personality wise, Mariko is still a know it all, and also noisy when it comes to the lives of others. She is also a bit proud, never wanting to admit that she's wrong. Still, she longs to fix Nasae, and protect the people from the threat that's infesting it

Sub Characters
Tainted(Image coming soon)- Unseeable creatures that infest the hearts of any living thing, making the host become irrational, violent, and unstable. Though weak by themselves, if they manage to take over the heart of a powerful being, it could be very destructive for the town. Luckily there are those who can see them, and completely vanquish them from life. However, Yasu and Noir are the only known ones who are able to do so in Nasae.

Sakura(Image coming soon)- A hardworking police cat who is always trying to keep everyone in town safe. Serious, stout, and a bit impatient, she will do anything to catch the criminals, even if they are supernatural. When not doing her police duties, or solving a case, Sakura can be found training with her gun. Many wonder if she knows how to relax.

Vaan(Image coming soon)- The quirky subordinate to Sakura, and good friend of Takeda. Unlike his boss, Vaan isn't really into the whole police thing, and just does it to impress girls, though he does work his hardest to keep the town safe. He greatly admires, and sometimes envies, Takeda because of how well he does with girls. Unlike his boss, Vaan does believe the town is infected with the Tainted, and helps out Mariko later in the story.

Screenshots

Promotional Art

Updates

06/11/14-Sorry guys, but I kind of messed up the demo date. I rushed the date and that didn't give us much time to do art, finish the writing, and go over everything, so it'll take a bit longer then I thought. Good news is I've reached 19,000 words in the story. Prologue is almost finished and I'm writing the first chapter =). I'll admit that the writing might go a bit slow this month. I'm a kind of pressed for time because of school and have lately been down due to some bad past experiences with depression. Still, we're giving it our all and I'm really grateful for Silversnow and all the hard work she's putting into the art. She's really helping the story come to life and has motivated me to keep going no matter what obstacles come in our way. So, for those who support us, thank you =).

Progress
Writing
Planning-25%
Prologue-100%
Takeda's Path-0%
Eren's Path-0%
Yoshiro's Path-0%
Keith's Path-0%
Secret Path-0%

Art-
Backgrounds-5%
Sprites-15%
GUI-0%

Music-0%

Questions-

Do you like the premise of the story?
What do you think of the characters?
If so, who do you like the most?
What do you think of the art?
Do you have any tips?

Credits-
Art-SilverSnow(You're so kind for all the help :mrgreen:)
Logo-sasquatchii(Thank you so much :mrgreen: )
Story-pocoscon
Coding-pocoscon

An-Hey everyone. I'm so grateful to those who take the time to read this. Anyway, Black Lotus is an idea I've had for about two months now. Unlike the other game, I'm working on this one as a boy love game (though there will be two obtainable girls) and is more mature due to horror, death, and some love scenes. This is my first time doing a horror game. The theme was inspired from horror based anime. I decided to go with fantasy characters because it would make the game much more interesting. Thanks to BarabiSama, the story went from having high school characters, to making them young adult . Like she said, it makes the story flow better, so I'm super grateful to her :mrgreen: . SilverSnow is my artist, and I'm really happy for her help. I love her art and she's really fun to work with :D . Anyway, here's some more info for the game :) .
Last edited by pocoscon on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 36 times in total.
Black Lotus(A work in progress)- (BxB,Horror,Thriller,Fantasy) Tells the story of a boy who must save his home and friends from dangerous creatures known as the Tainted. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=28588

Catching the Sun(A work in progress)- (GxG,Slice of Life,Friendship,Drama)

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=29404

Michalina
Regular

Re: Black Lotus(BxB,Mystery,Horror,Drama,Fantasy)

#2 Post by Michalina »

1.Yes, it seems really intriguing and mysterious. And it's BxB.
2.I think they are all very interesting and all the pathes will be fun to play :D I'm curious how Mariko will look like, so I'm waiting for a picture :)
3.Wahh, it's so hard to choose! All of them are cool in a way. I love childhood friends in BxB games, but Keith and Eren are really nonroutine characters and I'd like to play their pathes too!
4.It looks nice. I love Yoshiro hair ;w; The BGs are finished? I'd like to see them!
5.I don't know much about VNs, because I've never made any, so I don't have tips :)
Anyway-good luck with your project! ;)

pocoscon
Regular

Re: Black Lotus(BxB,Mystery,Horror,Drama,Fantasy)

#3 Post by pocoscon »

Michalina wrote:1.Yes, it seems really intriguing and mysterious. And it's BxB.
2.I think they are all very interesting and all the pathes will be fun to play :D I'm curious how Mariko will look like, so I'm waiting for a picture :)
3.Wahh, it's so hard to choose! All of them are cool in a way. I love childhood friends in BxB games, but Keith and Eren are really nonroutine characters and I'd like to play their pathes too!
4.It looks nice. I love Yoshiro hair ;w; The BGs are finished? I'd like to see them!
5.I don't know much about VNs, because I've never made any, so I don't have tips :)
Anyway-good luck with your project! ;)

Thank you so much =). I'm hoping to make all paths interesting and something people would love to read. And yeah, bot Eren and Keith are nonroutine. I'm happy about that because I was worried they were boring XD. I love Yoshiro's hair as well to. SilverSnow did a great ob with it. As for the BG's, I have them, but need to code them once the art is a bit more done. Anyway, thank you so much for the kind words and answering the question. I'm really grateful =).
Black Lotus(A work in progress)- (BxB,Horror,Thriller,Fantasy) Tells the story of a boy who must save his home and friends from dangerous creatures known as the Tainted. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=28588

pocoscon
Regular

Re: Black Lotus(BxB,Mystery,Supernatural,Tragedy)-New Art!

#4 Post by pocoscon »

Yay, the art for the characters looks are done :mrgreen: ! I'm really happy right now! SilverSnow thank you so much for your hard work. They look amazing :oops: .
Please tell us what you think of them, and I hope to get more feedback on this.

Michalina
Regular

#5 Post by Michalina »

Yay, it's updated! ;w; They all look so awesome! Great work :D

SilverSnow
Regular
Completed: Bus Stop, Before the Tale, White Book Complete Volume, See You, The Raven
Projects: Secrets...
Tumblr: stchematelier
itch: st-chem-atelier
Discord: SHatsuyuki#1452

#6 Post by SilverSnow »

Michalina wrote:Yay, it's updated! ;w; They all look so awesome! Great work :D
Thanks for keeping an eye on us! ^^ We really appreciate it a lot!

Since Pocoscon gave me permission, I shall now start posting art preview or sketches to make our thread lively! \\\ ٩(๑❛ワ❛๑)و //// Or simply tell you that the people working on this project are alive.

This is SilverSnow signing out!

pocoscon
Regular

#7 Post by pocoscon »

Michalina wrote:Yay, it's updated! ;w; They all look so awesome! Great work :D

Silversnow has done a lot of work =). I'm really happy you like her stuff. I just hope more people notice her art. She's very good and has been extremely helpful with this game. If it wasn't for her, I doubt I'd have the amount of motivation I do now.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Black Lotus(BxB,BxG,Mystery,Horror,Thriller)-New Art!

#8 Post by Ran08 »

The sprites are looking really nice! :) I even commented in your blog, hahaha. Yoshiro is still my favorite, though. <3 He is such a cutie patootie!

SilverSnow
Regular
Completed: Bus Stop, Before the Tale, White Book Complete Volume, See You, The Raven

#9 Post by SilverSnow »

10/21/14 -Art Preview!-
Posting a preview of a sprite's trial sketch currently in progress. Mana in his casual outfit.
And in his working attire. Guess you already figured his job.
May I add that I'm fangirling every male character Pocoscon created. (⁄ ⁄^⁄ᗨ⁄^⁄ ⁄) Thanks for visiting our thread!

pocoscon
Regular

#10 Post by pocoscon »

Ran08 wrote:The sprites are looking really nice! :) I even commented in your blog, hahaha. Yoshiro is still my favorite, though. <3 He is such a cutie patootie!
Oh I just saw. Thank you so much =). It's nice for the support. I'm super grateful to you for following us and leaving some feedback. Thanks again =)

SilverSnow
Regular

Re: Black Lotus(BxB,Mystery,Horror,Thriller)-Update!!

#11 Post by SilverSnow »

Just came to drop a gender bend fanart of Yasu ❤
Will go back working now....

pocoscon
Regular

#12 Post by pocoscon »

SilverSnow wrote:Just came to drop a gender bend fanart of Yasu ❤
Will go back working now....

I love Yasu's look ^^. Maybe this could also be an otome game. She's beautiful :D

Khalliope
Tumblr: jasmine-amyy
Deviantart: khalliope

#13 Post by Khalliope »

I'm a sucker for mysteries and horrors so yes, I think the premise of the story sounds interesting.

I love the huge variety in the cast - each individual character is so different from the others. I think their personalities are well thought out and realistic.

Pretty tough question, but I would have to say Yoshiro. Who can't resist the super sweet and shy boys? They always have interesting secrets to hide.

I think the art is fantastic. No complaints on that!

Do you have any tips?
From my ten minutes worth of experience visual novel making, I can't really say much. All I can say is, since this project seems rather new, try to keep everyone constantly in the loop and motivated! I see a lot of projects dropped because of one or two team members that have just off and went suddenly. Setting several small goals with realistic deadlines helps manage the project, let your team divide their workload and motivate them to get things done!

Saitoki1582
Regular
Completed: Fluff Hood's Adventure, The Halloween Night
Projects: Mechanoid

#14 Post by Saitoki1582 »

Yay, another BL!...Okay that was quite a lot of text...finished!
Yeah, I love mystery and it seem intriguing.
I like them.Each character seem interesting in their own way, and their design are unique, too. I liked Eren's design the most :D
I would go with Takeda because I have a thing for childhood friend who turned bad boy with yandere potential :P
Designs is unique, and art is ok for the most part except some of the guys. Takeda's body is a bit off center and his right hand look too stiff, it should be bended a little. Maybe make Eren's abdomen a bit wider because it look way too thin.Also even though guy doesn't have hip as wide as girl, their hip should still be visibly wider than their waist at front view when they don't wear baggy clothes like Yasu's.
Do you have any tips?
Just my personal thought...but maybe you should make the introduction a bit more vague because I felt a bit spoiled reading the summary :P

SilverSnow
Regular

#15 Post by SilverSnow »

Saitoki1582 wrote: What do you think of the art?
Designs is unique, and art is ok for the most part except some of the guys. Takeda's body is a bit off center and his right hand look too stiff, it should be bended a little. Maybe make Eren's abdomen a bit wider because it look way too thin.Also even though guy doesn't have hip as wide as girl, their hip should still be visibly wider than their waist at front view when they don't wear baggy clothes like Yasu's.
Thanks for pointing that out ^^ I felt something was off :oops: