Kaitlyn in Chinaland [GxB], [COMPLETE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Kaitlyn in Chinaland [GxB], [COMPLETE]

#1 Post by Godline »

Partners in Crime Anne and Godline Present...
The First Otome Chinese Learning Game!

When the self-consumed, all-American prom queen wannabe Kaitlyn gets sent to China as a punishment, she must navigate the waters of the language, the culture shocks... and the boys.

It's a West meets East romantic comedy about some of the pitfalls of living in China and struggling to belong.
Characters
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Godline on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

Re: Kaitlyn in Chinaland [GxB], [Language Learning]

#2 Post by Ghost #9 »

I really love that logo! Your presentation with the character profiles is quite nice as well, but I'm afraid I can't really comment much on which of them I like because there really isn't enough information to get to know them! The way they're drawn kind of makes them all look unfriendly as well. xD;
I do like Li Meng's design especially, though.

I find it kind of interesting that you provided a pronunciation for Kaitlyn's name, but not the Chinese names (which would probably be the ones that most folks around here would have the most difficulty pronouncing). I'm all for new and exiting presentations to assist in learning new languages, though, so I wish you tons of luck! Since one of the main goals of this game is to teach a language, I definitely think it would be a good idea to include some additional practice conversations.

Godline
Veteran

#3 Post by Godline »

Ghost #9 wrote:I really love that logo! Your presentation with the character profiles is quite nice as well
Anne does really nice art, so thanks! :)

I'm afraid I can't really comment much on which of them I like because there really isn't enough information to get to know them! The way they're drawn kind of makes them all look unfriendly as well. xD;
You're right. It's only a basic overview of the characters, so far. You'll have to wait down the line for more information!
I do like Li Meng's design especially, though.
Meng's a cutie. :)
I find it kind of interesting that you provided a pronunciation for Kaitlyn's name, but not the Chinese names (which would probably be the ones that most folks around here would have the most difficulty pronouncing).
Actually, that's not pronunciation. That's the pinyin version of her Chinese name. All the other Chinese names are pinyin (romanization) versions. For example Li Meng would normally be the characters of the name, not the romanized pinyin. :)
I'm all for new and exiting presentations to assist in learning new languages, though, so I wish you tons of luck! Since one of the main goals of this game is to teach a language, I definitely think it would be a good idea to include some additional practice conversations.
Thanks! I'm going to totally add conversations then. :)

<3 <3 <3 Good luck with your project too. Sounds awesome!
Last edited by Godline on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#4 Post by Shinoki »

1. Are there any Chinese cultural points, funny stories or anecdotes you'd like to see added to the story?
Kind old people trying to stuff food down your mouth, asking if you've had enough to eat, asking why you're so skinny... and trying to make the main character fat even though they're just being nice people?

2. Which characters do you like?
Li Meng. :v My parents watch that show...but lol, awesome.

3. Would you be interested in additional conversations/tests to practice the language in the game after completing the game?
That would seem nice. Maybe you could add a mini-Chinese dictionary, for the words that are learned from the story, for part of an extras section.

Other:
So, will this be voiced?
Also, so you mention that you put the roman-ization, will you put in pinyin with actual sound markings?

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#5 Post by Ghost #9 »

Actually, that's not pronunciation. That's the pinyin version of her Chinese name. All the other Chinese names are pinyin (romanization) versions. For example Li Meng would normally be the characters of the name, not the romanized pinyin.
Ah! I thought the pronunciation seemed a bit odd. Thanks for clarifying. : )
And, thank you for the luck as well! I'm looking forward to finally being able to put a WIP thread up. It's a fun project, but I've got quite a ways to go.

Godline
Veteran

#6 Post by Godline »

Shinoki wrote: Kind old people trying to stuff food down your mouth, asking if you've had enough to eat, asking why you're so skinny... and trying to make the main character fat even though they're just being nice people?
Haha. I thought this was more atypical of Italian/European cultures than Chinese! :) You'll have to tell me about your experiences!
Li Meng. :v My parents watch that show...but lol, awesome.
Fei Cheng Wu Rao is the bomb. MengFei. :) Haha. Which wasn't why we called her Meng mind you. ;)
That would seem nice. Maybe you could add a mini-Chinese dictionary, for the words that are learned from the story, for part of an extras section.
Cool. I think we can do something like that.
Other:
So, will this be voiced?
Also, so you mention that you put the roman-ization, will you put in pinyin with actual sound markings?
It wasn't initially going to be voiced, but each vocabulary point was going to have audio files attached. However if we found some suitable voice actors, we'd change our minds I'm sure. :)

No, we're using the sound markings (otherwise it's not *really* pinyin).

Mithrilda
Regular

#7 Post by Mithrilda »

I love the concept and storyline (though it is a bit cheesy). I'm making a Chinese learning game of my own (in a different way of course) it's nice to see another one.

Gao He Jia seems like my kinda guy :P

Maybe include somewhere how Chinese people fight each other and use subterfuge to pay the check for their prestige:D . It's always amused me.

Also, yes, I think it would be great to have other practice and tests outside of the main game just to further the learning potential.

Good luck and I can't wait for it to come out!

Godline
Veteran

#8 Post by Godline »

Mithrilda wrote:I love the concept and storyline (though it is a bit cheesy). I'm making a Chinese learning game of my own (in a different way of course) it's nice to see another one.
We should totally chat then. ;)
Gao He Jia seems like my kinda guy :P
I *think* (Anne will have to say for sure) that Gao is Anne's preference. ^^ I'm more partial to Wu myself.
Maybe include somewhere how Chinese people fight each other and use subterfuge to pay the check for their prestige:D . It's always amused me.
Haha. YES! Saving face. We do have a minor character that would fit perfectly.
Also, yes, I think it would be great to have other practice and tests outside of the main game just to further the learning potential.

Good luck and I can't wait for it to come out!
I think so too. Can't wait to hear about your game as well!

Godline
Veteran

#9 Post by Godline »

EPILOGUE WRITING IS ALMOST FINISHED

Which meansss we're well on our way to having the writing at 100%.

I don't have percentages for everything else but pretty much it gets done when it gets done.

Hope to have more to show (screenshots maybe?) after Christmas and the New Year!
Shèngdàn kuàilè everyone!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#10 Post by Googaboga »

That's great about the writing. Congrats on being so close to finishing :]. My little sister is actually studying aboard in Chine right now and she'll be back in a few days ^^.

1. Are there any Chinese cultural points, funny stories or anecdotes you'd like to see added to the story?

I don't know myself. Maybe I could ask my sister C:.

They all seem fine to me so far :>.

3. Would you be interested in additional conversations/tests to practice the language in the game after completing the game?

That'd be nice, as long as it's not too much trouble.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Godline
Veteran

#11 Post by Godline »

Googaboga wrote: Maybe I could ask my sister C:.
Yes! Ask your sister! I'd love to hear her experiences (and compare them with my own). ;)
That'd be nice, as long as it's not too much trouble.
Haha. That, by far, won't be the trouble part. But it is coming along nicely.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#12 Post by Ferdokki »

This sounds like it's going to be a cute game. =3 I wanna play and learn! x)

Ferdokki
Veteran

#13 Post by Ferdokki »

Oh, I totally missed these questions, sorry!

MONKEY KING. Nuff said.
Lol, if possible, I'd also like to see that quote the Emperor off of "Mulan" said. He was trying to convince the general to go after Mulan near the end, and used a flowing, metaphorical anecdote. The general didn't catch on, so then he was like, "You don't see a girl like that every dynasty."
Also, is "Fei Cheng Wu Rao" similar to "Take Me Out"? I'm not familiar with "Fei Cheng Wu Rao", but I'd like to see shows like "Take Me Out" be mentioned. =)
It'd also be interesting to see the characters tackle and debunk some of the general stereotypes associated with Chinese people.

I love all the characters! Every one of them is someone I can relate to in real life. xD I find Kaitlyn's character amusing. I've met several people like Gao Hejia in real life: You're kinda drawn to them, but they make themselves so unapproachable. x( *sigh* What a waste of good looks and intriguing personality. xP
I think people like Zhou Wu are easiest to get along with, so if I could choose between the two boys, Zhou Wu is who I'd go for.
And Li Meng is pretty. n__n

Hmm, I'm not sure.
If there was some incentive, then maybe. Like, if you make a certain grade on the tests, you can unlock a wallpaper or a CG.
Other than that, yeah, I guess it would be nice to have the conversations/tests available after finishing the game. This way, players can go back and practice the lessons. =)

Godline
Veteran

#14 Post by Godline »

Ferdokki wrote: MONKEY KING. Nuff said.
Haha. I had to make Gao's favorite show Journey to the West. Monkey King ftw.
Lol, if possible, I'd also like to see that quote the Emperor off of "Mulan" said. He was trying to convince the general to go after Mulan near the end, and used a flowing, metaphorical anecdote. The general didn't catch on, so then he was like, "You don't see a girl like that every dynasty."
I mightttttt put that quote in just for you. Somewhere. :)
Also, is "Fei Cheng Wu Rao" similar to "Take Me Out"? I'm not familiar with "Fei Cheng Wu Rao", but I'd like to see shows like "Take Me Out" be mentioned. =)
It is indeed. It's called If You Are the One in the English, and it was originally based on Take Me Out I believe.
I think people like Zhou Wu are easiest to get along with, so if I could choose between the two boys, Zhou Wu is who I'd go for.
And Li Meng is pretty. n__n
Yay! Someone else that would go for Wu instead of Gao. :)
If there was some incentive, then maybe. Like, if you make a certain grade on the tests, you can unlock a wallpaper or a CG.
Other than that, yeah, I guess it would be nice to have the conversations/tests available after finishing the game. This way, players can go back and practice the lessons. =)
Incentive is a very good idea.

Ferdokki
Veteran

#15 Post by Ferdokki »

Lol, there are so many versions of the series though! xD
Speaking of Monkey King, have you ever read "American Born Chinese"? It's a comic book by Gene Luen Yang, and I think it does a great job of doing a modern retelling of Monkey King's story and mixing it with present day characters. If you ever get a chance, I totally recommend checking it out!

Woooow, thanks for giving me hope about that quote! ^________^ I feel so special. ~w~

This sounds like it's going to be a great game. =D