Project Lost Girl (Working Title)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular
Projects: Lost Girl

Project Lost Girl (Working Title)

#1 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

This is a game some friends and I have been working on for a while. It is a semi-kinetic visual novel about a girl from another world randomly showing up an anime convention. As a con-op, you have the pleasure of showing her around... or continuously pulling her out of trouble.

Scope
This started out as more of a test than an actual game. The version we are working on now has only one day although the full idea had all three days of the convention. Because this is our first game ever, I've set it up so that the game is really small so we wouldn't be in over our heads. So while there are no extremely interesting puzzles or crazy twists within this chapter, it is just a fun little thing to play. Right now there are only two main characters.

You:
This is a male college student who decided to staff at a local anime convention. His character is still being planned out, but for the purpose of the first day, he can technically be anyone... not really even a "he" as his name or gender are never stated.

Lyra:
She has somehow found her way to our world and conviniently landed at an anime convention, so her strange garb and unnatural hair color don't stand out at all. She has a somewhat serious disposition with a bit of dark humor mixed in... oh, and she hates cameras for some reason.

Erika:
She is rather upbeat and is way too good at Diamond Dance Moves. (Kinda like Dance Dance Revolution, but with twice the amount of color)She just recently got placed in the game, so there's not a lot of data on her.

Music and screens
You can also hear a song from the game here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImRoHXRTirw

One neat thing about the game that I'm pretty happy I got working was dynamic music. When a choice menu comes up, the music changes its tone a bit to sound more like you have to select something. I'll demonstrate this in a later post.

I did the programming and music.

The character art is done by Jeffanime1. You can see his other work here.
http://jeffanime.deviantart.com

Although I modeled the background in this one, my friend Luna is doing those. We also had character design help from another friend (beez).

Progress:

Script for Day 1: DONE
Character sprites: DONE
Backgrounds: 10%
Music: 75%
ambient sound FX = DONE
UI = 0%
Other images (start screen and full screen images): 90%
Special effects (animations mainly): 60%
UI SFX: 100%

I'll be updating this with new stuff over the next few weeks. Please let me know what you think about any aspect of it.
Music and sound effects
SoundCloud | YouTube | Facebook
Free SFX and music
OpenGameArt
Let me know if you'd like some help.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Project Lost Girl (Working Title)

#2 Post by fleet »

You have a unique idea for your story.
How does a semi-kinetic visual novel differ from a kinetic novel or a visual novel?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular

#3 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

Thanks.

I say semi-kinetic because the game has two main paths, one of which leads to a more kinetic novel and the other path is more choice oriented.
Music and sound effects
Free SFX and music
OpenGameArt

ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular

#4 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

In honor of screenshot Saturday, here's a fwe lines of script and some code to manipulate an image.... told you she hated cameras.

Yes, I know there's a typo. (or 2?)
Music and sound effects
Free SFX and music
OpenGameArt