Red Eyes - The tainted blood [16+] VN / RPG Hybrid (ON HOLD)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

Red Eyes - The tainted blood [16+] VN / RPG Hybrid (ON HOLD)

#1 Post by Ryue »

Red eyes is the first in a planned game series which tells the story of 3 “brothers” who try to fight against a coming storm and their own
destinies. It is a dark fantasy visual novel / dungeon crawler hybrid where every decision you make (regardless of if it is during
conversations or during battles) will have effects on your characters and the story itself.

It uses a customized 3d dungeon crawler engine (which is being open sourced and will be in the cookbook section shortly) and a customized
rpg engine in order to fulfill the premise. Theme wise it is a dark fantasy game and includes drama, gore and character death but also
splinters of hope and possible romance.

It is based on a simple premise “Even during the darkest of times, even the darkest of deeds can create a sliver of hope which can unleash
a fire that burns the darkness away”.

About the game
Type: Visual novel / Dungeon crawler hybrid
Themes: Dark fantasy, Drama (including character death), Romance
Rating: 16+ (it contains a zombie apocalypse. As the zombies are graphically shown 16+ for safety)

Synposis
I’m one of them. One of the 3 who call themselves brothers despite not being related by blood. We were drawn together since our childhood
as if we we were connected somehow. That is why we called each other brother. As we grew up we nicknamed each other but strangely not
how others nickname each other.
Instead we gave each other nicknames associated to sins. Not that they are not absolutely fitting, as we are filling the roles of these names
completely, but it is unusual nonetheless. We are Steve steel (Pride), Mike Slozensky (Envy) and Peter Wolf (Wrath). We grew up together
in Nedrow, USA. Like I said, we three were connected together, and this is our story. The story of how just after our 18th birthdays we met
our demise, meet a being of darkness, and be given a chance, a single sliver of hope for salvation, for a return. The thing I met was a
demon I can’t describe it in any other way with how much anger and hatred it had pent up. It called me names and cursed my existence and
then told me of a coming storm that only we could stop but only if I remembered, then it threw me down. It let me fall into a dark forest in
ancient times. I found myself in an old kingdom in the medieval Transylvania.

During my travels through this kingdom I uncovered things I wouldn’t have believed anyone who told me.

Not only did I meet people from this ancient past and talked with them, interacted with them.

No, I also found out that magic and mythical creatures REALLY exist!

And more so, that this kingdom was beset by a darkness, by the darkness caused by a tainted blood. A darkness that threatened to turn it
into a smoldering ruin and which had also set its eyes on to me and all I held dear.

A darkness like a coming storm. A darkness that even made the dead raise to eat the living.

But even in this darkness there was a small glimmer of hope. As I talked with the people to uncover the truth of my being there and this
darkness I made decisions. Every decision I made affected them all. If they lived or died, if they were happy or frightened. Even when I fought,
the decisions I made had an impact on the world around me. They let people either believe in me as their only hope, or see me as their worst
nightmare. Just as I began to understand that it was my decision, my decision alone that would decide the fate of this kingdom, its inhabitants,
the whole world, and more importantly, of Nedrow, the drama around me began to unfold in its completeness. But I understood at long last.
Why I was chosen to be there, why this demon was so angry at me and what could be done to stop the coming darkness. It was all clear to me
because it was not all as it seemed, not all was as I thought I knew because there was still a glimmer of hope, a small glimmer that could
begin a fire that could burn the darkness away. Because I MYSELF am not what I always thought I was. Neither were my brothers as they stood
with me, by my side in the darkest of hours with bared weapons and claws. As this was our hour, this was what we were born for!

This is the story of how it all ended. The story of my fall and my rise. This is the story where I learned the truth and where I decided if I would
bring salvation or damnation. This is the story of the end of the beginning and how a small glimmer became a fire that burned the darkness away.

Characters
Protagonists
Steve Steel Pride
He is the leader of the 3 brothers. He seems regal and quite prideful most of the time and knows his way around woman. Ending up with a new
girlfriend every other week. He just finished his education to become a cop and is now partnered up with a senior officer.

Mike Slozensky Envy
He is the strategist of the 3. He is quite a wallflower most of the time and quite a genius when it comes to book knowledge or computers.
He is studying computer science and is known to be a top hacker in some circles. His hobbies include planting video cameras almost everywhere
so that he can get informations before others and is always on top of them.

Peter Wolf Wrath
He is the warrior of the 3 and the most aggressive one. He and pride are often at odds because of his strong sense of honor and his reluctance
to bow his head to anyone at all. He is currently studying economics in order to take over the dojo his family runs after finishing his studies.

Major characters
Lust
A red headed succubus who plays a major role in the modern times and also in the medieval times. Her allegiance and also her true
goals are unknown. What is known is that chaos always follows in her wake and that she has a strange relationship with Wrath
while her eyes are on Envy.

Carmen
A blonde haired girl from the past. She has a knack for getting into trouble and danger and is quite a tomboy. Even though she is
well liked around the village it seems like she is hiding a big secret. Furthermore there is a connection between her and princess
Katherine.

Princess Katherine
A red headed princess and 2nd in line to the throne. She is regal and calculating a born politician as they come.
There is something strange going on around her and she has a connection to Carmen.

Minor characters
Sarah
A latino and the partner of pride in modern times. She is his senior and needs to teach him the ropes on the streets.

Status
[*]Story outline 100%
[*]Script 30%
[*]Character design 100%
[*]Sprites 100%
[*]Backgrounds 30%
[*]CGs 20%
[*]GUI 100%
[*]Music 0% (got a few samples but they are for an old version of the game)
[*]Sound 20%
[*]Voice overs 0%

Team
Artists
[*] Sendo (CGs, dungeon crawler tiles)
[*] Shadilyn (Sprites, CG)
[*] SundownKid (GUI of the visual novel part / main menu,...)

Writers
[*] Sakura Hughes
[*] Wolf

Beta testers
[*] Kevin (not from this forum)
[*] Tom (not from this forum)

Programmers
[*] Wolf
[*] Kinjo (helped out with a few cleanups for the dungeon crawler. Left the project)
[*]

Planed dates
[*] Release of the game: Middle to late 2016
[*] Release of the first demo (combat): August 2015
[*] Release of the first full demo: Early 2016
[*] Release of the dungeon crawler source code: Mai 2015 The source code can be found here

Example screenshot album
http://imgur.com/a/uivlu

Questions
As usual I'm open for all critique be it positive or negative and try to incorporate things that are being mentioned into the game.
My main questions being:
1.) What do you think of the game concept of it being a hybrid?
2.) What do you think of the story?
3.) What do you think of the characters?
4.) Do you feel something is missing or not fitting?
5.) Do you have any suggestions, ideas?

About myself and this project
Hi

I’m Wolf on the forums and Ryue in the renpy irc chat. My real name is Thomas I’m almost 37 and I’m a professional software developer.
Jobwise I’m creating desktop applications (and until a year ago web applications). Hobbywise I’m creating small games (with this being
the first big game so far), and I’m a passionate tabletop rpg player.

I’ve played tabletop rpgs for over a decade now almost exclusively as gamemaster where I created the adventures my rpg groups played.
This project came to be when I had a few bad experiences with tabletop groups who played quite bad and I found myself in the situation
that I just wanted to tell a story a story where one could immerse in, a story where nobody tries to powergame, ... . Thus I looked for a
new medium and found visual novels. When the idea was born I planed the whole game originally as a small story to play through....
a typical visual novel and tried some of the basic ideas with a few rpg players I know by pitting them into the shoes of the hero and
played the game as rpg sessions of a tabletop game. During this I saw what they said was good and bad and took it to heart and
additionally I saw that a more typical visual novel approach was not something I REALLY wanted, thus the final idea of how the project
shall look was born:
A Visual novel / RPG hybrid and not a typical one where you have a bit of conversation and then a long RPG part that has not much to
do with the conversations part but instead a full hybrid where decisions in one part can have huge impacts on the other part.

As I began to look around for tools to use I found renpy and gathered experience there and saw that it would be best if I split up the game
into multiple games so that I can develop them in a controlled way and also in a way that my purse survives (as I have paid artists and
also programmers as team members). This all happened in 2012 now 3 years later I’m finally at a stage where I have enough experience
with how things work and managed to finish the dungeon crawler engine. Now I’m just putting things together and get the final pieces of
art, .... So that the story I wanted to tell 3 years ago can finally be told.
Last edited by Ryue on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Red eyes - the tainted blood [16+] Visual novel / RPG Hy

#2 Post by Ryue »

This post here is for updates. I plan on putting up updates every 1-2 weeks so that the progress can be seen and also questions can be asked or comments given.

Current focus
The current focus lies on finishing up the first demo for this all of the following points need to be fullfilled (100%):
[*] Demo storyline 100%
[*] Music 100%
[*] Sound effects 90%
[*] Demo storyline graphics 100% - a few additional graphics I'm getting still. Same for some sounds.
[*] Demo random scenes 100%
[*] Dungeon crawler Rewrite
[*] RPG part Rewrite
[*] Demo integration of the RPG part 0%

Color explanations: Green: means finished. Orange is what I'm personally focusing on. Red means on hold / waiting for other parts to finish.

Defintions / explanations
Random scene: As the game is a VN/RPG hybrid there are not only fixated encounters / happenings but also some that can happen on random. These happenings are called "random scenes".

Updates
12.04.2015: Initial WIP thread
13.04.2015: Wrote down current focus
26.04.2015: Map for the demo is finished. The hired programmer is working on the character system. First graphics for the random scenes are in. Update of the planed release dates.
03.05.2015: Small update with an example screenshot album being added. Progress wise side images are added now, and the next part of the character system (conditions) has been started.
10.05.2015: Waiting finished code part of the programmer and on the last graphics for the demo scenes. Used the time to do a few restructurings.
07.06.2015: Waiting for the final parts of the character system (waiting for a few parts and defining the next for the progrmamer). The graphics are now being used for the demo scenes. Testing is still needed for them. And one of the programmers who help me left the project. Much is happening in real life and it is possible that the demo won't make a june release but isntead an early july release (still hope for june but without the additional hand it is not 100% guarantee atm).
22.06.2015: Work on characters has finished. Work on the combat system itself has begun. A small screenshot has been posted in regards to combat pictures and positioning of them.
02.08.2015: Combat system stands. Currently Alpha tests are still being done and changes implemented including a rewrite of parts of the combat system to more prominently use screens instead of a mix of screen and object oriented code.
20.08.2015: Changes implemented. Restructuring RPG classes and remodelling RPG system. Alpha tests still.
30.08.2015: Last changes are implemented, the combat screen has been remodelled to look better. Latest version out to closed alpha/beta testers. If they don't find anything the demo for the combat engine will be put up tomorrow for an open beta.
31.08.2015: Finally I put up the open beta / demo for the combat of the rpg engine: Combat demo/open beta
01.01.2016: After many attempts I'm giving up on my own 3d engine for the time being and use renpystein as base code for the 3d engine for now. Additionally the story script itself for the demo is going to be redone in the coming week. Furthermore on some positive note, a new (better) ingame choice menu is in place now which looks better than what I used before.
17.01.2016: The rewrite is commencing. The prelude is done and the 1st scene also. Currently working on the second scene.

Cookbooks
As this project led to the creation of 1 (and in the future more) cookbook threads and posts I'm going to post here which cookbook threads were created over the course of the project:
Last edited by Ryue on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:00 am, edited 15 times in total.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Red Eyes - The tainted blood [16+] Visual novel / RPG Hy

#3 Post by Ryue »

Updated the thread and added a link to an example screenshots album on imgur. I'll use this during the next time to showcase specific parts of the game and also if I need some opinions.:
http://imgur.com/a/uivlu

Currently while the hired programmer is working on the character system I'm working myself on things I neglected so far. Fixing specific known bugs and also adding things that were missing like the side images. In this case I added them in a way where I add them programmatically as I got quite a lot of characters where I need side images. Now I have run into a problem there though and would like some input there. In the example album above there are 2 side images shown.

The girl sprite is a bit different from the male sprite which leads to her being displayed slightly to the left and down. My question is is this disturbing? (so far from ppl I had asked personally I got half 'yes' half 'no' as answers and I'm interested in how much it is disturbing or if it is not disturbind to ppl. Keep in mind though that this difference is for almost every character shown as every sprite is a bit different than the other).

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Ryue »

10.05.2015: Waiting finished code part of the programmer and on the last graphics for the demo scenes. Used the time to do a few restructurings.
This week has been quite one for refactorings. I redid how I load character and also side images and restructured the folder and filename structure of the project in that process. This enables me now to:

1.) Load all character sprites dynamically
2.) Load all side images dynamically while still having the ability to say that the center of the head for this and that sprite is located at these x / y positions

This makes putting new sprites in way easier and also makes the showing of the side images easy as well. Now I can use the exact same words for the shown sprite and the side image which also makes writing the scenes in renpy easier. As Example:

Code: Select all

Show Steve Modern ArmsDown Grin
Steve Modern ArmsDown Grin "I'm officer Macalister, tell me where you're going? "
If there is any interest in that code, then I'll post it in the cookbook section.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Need to adapt 2 more scenes to the new schemata on how sprites and side images are defined and I'm completely finished with the refactoring. And as soon as the hired programmer has done his part I can create and put in the combat system.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Ryue »

07.06.: It has been a bit late for an update but I did want to wait out till I got enough feedbacks in regards to the crawler engine and see what the status on the demo is.
Currently it looks like the demo will either come out at the end of month or will have to be postboned till july. I myself got as less time as I feared to work on it and one of the programmers who wanted to help me left the project again. Be it as it may. On 24th of may I released the dungeon crawler as planed (link is under planed section of the first post in the thread). Now I'm focusing to get the character system finished by the other programmer and then start myself on the implementatoin of the combat system. Currently when I have time I make table tests for how combat is planed to work and see if it works out as intended. Additinally I'm tweaking a few things where beta testers found problematic parts or things that dont work completely out as intended.
I also updated the % completed for the demo.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Ryue »

A small update:
As the characters have been finished I've myself begun working on the combat screen and the combat system.

A small image of the part that places enemy mobs on screen. In this case a horde of wolves. Each of these wolves can represent a single wolf or even a whole horde of wolves itself (thus each of the images displayed is a single enemy). The combat system will be able to handle combat between individuals or between whole armies composed of thousands of beings on each side.

As can be seen I'm currently still doing fine adjustments for the positions (so that no wolf is clipped off and they are positioned nicely behind each other so that all can be seen and thus also easily targeted), ...

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ryue »

Update:
I took more time than usual to post as I had a few troubles in the private sector (which are now cleared) and additionally I wanted to finish the combat system already. But alpha tests have shown a few things that need to be changed and also a few comments made by alpha testers and ppl I asked indicated that the menu how it was implemented is not the best way to present it. So I'm going to rewrite parts of the code in order to make better use of screens for the combat part.

As soon as this is finished the closed alpha will continue, then a closed beta and then an open beta (will post the combat system demo as soon as its open beta time for it.
Afterwards the plan is to integrate the finalized combat system into the full game demo. Then the first demo (except for music and sound effects) is finished.

Due to the unexpected setbacks I updated the planed dates a bit (demo in August and release in spring)

Summarized status change for the game: Combat system stands. Currently Alpha tests are still being done and changes implemented including a rewrite of parts of the combat system to more prominently use screens instead of a mix of screen and object oriented code.

Kaina Blue
Regular
Projects: Howl of the Blood
Tumblr: kainablue
Deviantart: KainaBlue

#8 Post by Kaina Blue »

Hello! Since I'm constantly coming back to this game, and checking your progress, I thought it would be polite and (hopefully) encouraging to post a comment, because I would really like to play it. :)
I do know I played one official dungeon crawler and that would be Bard's Tale. I had a lot of fun with it and gameplay of that sort is very fine with me. Since you said it was a hybrid, what elements of RPG does it exactly involve? (I apologize if I missed that info in some of your posts, couldn't find it now). Since I like RPG fights but I do prefer a little bit more dialogues, as soon as there is at least 40-60 odds, I'm good.
Sound very interesting. I am going to assume that this isn't a classical good vs evil setting since ''brothers'' (as their nicknames suggest) have a dark side. Hope I am right. Am I? :D I don't like modern-medieval mash-ups, but that's just my personal taste. Zombies are also not something I like for minions of the dark side, but I'm open-minded.
Based on their short descriptions, they seem ok. What I would really want to see is their conversations. I believe that dialogues are the best way for depicting characters. That's why I am really looking forward to demo. :)
Sorry, not at the moment. Also, I like the art style - not to serious, not to cartoony. Love the werewolf's grin. :D Is the demo coming out soon?

Also, that one question:
The girl sprite is a bit different from the male sprite which leads to her being displayed slightly to the left and down. My question is is this disturbing?
In which way? Like, is it chauvinistic or something else?

That's it from me. I am really looking forward to this game. Good luck!

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ryue »

Kaina Blue wrote:Hello! Since I'm constantly coming back to this game, and checking your progress, I thought it would be polite and (hopefully) encouraging to post a comment, because I would really like to play it. :)
Hi
Nice to see some feedback at long last :) So you are welcome :)

The questions you had I'll go into point by point:
I do know I played one official dungeon crawler and that would be Bard's Tale. I had a lot of fun with it and gameplay of that sort is very fine with me. Since you said it was a hybrid, what elements of RPG does it exactly involve? (I apologize if I missed that info in some of your posts, couldn't find it now). Since I like RPG fights but I do prefer a little bit more dialogues, as soon as there is at least 40-60 odds, I'm good.
Funny you mentioned bards tales as it is the main inspiration behind the crawler / combat part (bards tales 2, 3 to be exact as they got differing ranges for enemies). For combat screen layout though etryan oddissey is more of an inspiration. But to your question why I call it a hybrid instead of VN with RPG elements or a dungeon crawler with VN elements. It is as each part (VN and RPG) matter to each other. To elaborate here. You travel from location to location in the dungeon crawler view (which will be the main view of the game, aka what players will see the most time). Then at specific locations events can happen or battles. During the events you can read the story and make decisions. Now that is what also a normal dungeon crawler with VN elements has.
But in this case there are some additions which is why I call it a full hybrid:
Your RPG stats matter and can drive the story forward in the dungeon crawler
* You enter a specific location while walking through the forest. Then a skill test is automatically done (in this case a perception test). Depending on the result of that roll (and thus how good your char is at noticing things) it can be that you trip over a root and hear a females laughter at you kissing the ground (critical failure). Or you notice nothing out of the ordinary (failure). Or you notice a small path trailing off the route you were following which leads to a blocking tree disappearing in the dungeon crawler (success). Or you notice the path and even hear a females screams for help from there (critical success).
Your RPG stats help with story decisions / or hamper you there
* During an event you try to stop a horse from falling off a ledge. You can try to calm the horse (skill roll on animal ken) or try to stop it with brute force (strength test). If the roll succeeds you stop the animal.....if it fails then it stops still but YOU fall off the ledge and into the stream below. And if you fail critically......both of you fall downwards.
* During a conversation you try to calm someone down. Thus you choose the appropriate answer you think is best. This results then in a persuasion skill roll while the answer you choose modifies how difficult this roll is (also if the person likes you or not plays a role there).
Decisions made during combat but also events have side effects
* If you gather treaure after treasure then mercenaries that are with you will increase their loyality to you.
* If during events you make decisions like helping people and tending to the wounded the loyality of templers with you can increase. On the other hand also a merciful death to someone infected can do that......or can raise their ire depending on who is with you.
* During an event when you have chosen an option where for example you burn down the blocking veins in front of you with fire sprouting from your hands......then you need to hope that you have loyal troops with you as else they either loose their trust in the "sorcerer" / "demon" / "devil" that leads them or even worse they try to attack you to destroy one of the evils that are harming the land and people. The same holds true if you use powers during combat.
* To build on the previous example. IF on the other hand you heal someone mortally ill and people see it......it can be that they begin to pray to you depending on how they see this type of action. And your troops getting more loyal to you.
Loot
* After a battle loot can be increased by skills sometimes. For example survival skill tests are automatically done when you defeat wolves to see if you manage to skin them, or a perception test to see if you find the gem hidden in the pocket of a thug, ... .
Death matters
* If someone dies during a battle he/she is dead. At the end of battles you have a chance to heal them so taht they don't really die but that is it. Thus they won't appear in events any longer and some events won't appear while others can activate through this ("You let my sister die now I'm here to settle things with you" as example). Additionally what is maybe worse is.......death is not necessarily the end and this can lead to battles starting immediately after a long battle.

So in other words (and as a short summary). I call it as a hybrid as things you do in the rpg part affect things you do in the events and vice versa. Planwise it is so that you travel a lot but you DON'T have to grind mobs. You get XP for events also and how you handle them and you don't have to grind mobs for hours upon hours to be able to continue onwards (I always hated that in rpgs). You CAN grind though which makes things easier but it should not be so that you can't continue without doing this.

I hope this clarifies this part, if not don't be shy and ask :)
Sound very interesting. I am going to assume that this isn't a classical good vs evil setting since ''brothers'' (as their nicknames suggest) have a dark side. Hope I am right. Am I? :D I don't like modern-medieval mash-ups, but that's just my personal taste. Zombies are also not something I like for minions of the dark side, but I'm open-minded.
Yepp you are right there. I'm a horror rpg GM since over 10 years. And I found out through that that characters that are neither really good or evil are just the best (it makes them also more lifelike). If we take the 3 brothers.....their nicknames are there for a reason. They got them because that is who they are....or more their primary "fault" there. OR the thing they try to get rid of the most. Also even though they call themselves brothers.....they tolerate each other, are friends and think of themselves as brothers but still there are cracks even in this. As example 2 of the brothers have a score to settle with a specific woman. One of these scores being a pretty big and.....deadly one. BUT they have always NOT done it because they know how the 3rd brother will react to this. And their fear of his reaction so far outweighed their hate (although if that will stay so depends on the players choices then ingame). Thus the good guys all have their dark sides. But what is with the evil guys? They have their reasons that THEY think rectify what they do. Some of them are really evil in terms of they just love to see others suffer while others do evil things because they think they are doing the right thing (isn't it almost always so? Good intentions pave the way to hell). And some of them do things even out of love.....or what they think is love. So also the evil guys are not "pure evil" (except a few rare exceptions) but also are more or less in a grayish area morality wise.

The modern / medieval mashup is normally also not so mine. I dislike those stories/films where ppl from modern times end up in medieval times and triumph over all thanks to their intellect. Funny then that I choose a similar mashup huh?^^ Now that one has a reason aside from the usual one (and believe me neither of the brothers will be able to build a SMG in medieval times. They lost much of their memories anyway ;) ). The reason is simple. The game is "just" a leadup to a successor game I already planed when I planed this game. The successor game will play in modern times and be a story successor for the current one. The basic idea is something that was used extensively in the Highlander films and series. There the protagonists where humanlike beings that were hundreds or thousands of years old. Whenever they met one another there was a flashback to earlier times where they last met (or when they met for the first time) before the film/episode commenced in the modern times. In this case I took it to a new level. The "flashback" will be the whole game. While the successor game will be the "continuation in modern times".

For the Zombies: I needed something that could serve as minions in modern times but also in medieval times and that could be beaten in both "times". I have to admit I like demons and undead (most of the time I GM'd I GM'd world of darkness). In the end I had 4 options to choose from (zombies being one of them) which I could use as "minions". But as I had just seen highschool of the dead back then (wish they did less fan service there and instead had brought out more episodes but whatever) I decided that Zombies will be the minions. They are easily controllable and can serve as antanogists in all times. And what is better.......you can get to like a specific NPC and then one little error and.......he tries to eat you.
Based on their short descriptions, they seem ok. What I would really want to see is their conversations. I believe that dialogues are the best way for depicting characters. That's why I am really looking forward to demo. :)
Yepp the real personality is always coming out only in the dialogs. The demo will take a bit still though as I'm currently finishing the rpg engine itself (just rewriting it as after the latest changes it was clunky as hell but making good progress there). But if you want to get earlier views than the rest........I'm searching for alpha/beta testers :) (half of mine have RL stress currently and thus are as good as unavailable).
Sorry, not at the moment. Also, I like the art style - not to serious, not to cartoony. Love the werewolf's grin. :D Is the demo coming out soon?
I liked it too when I saw it. And the werewolf grin is just...... :) Especially if you think about having these teeth in your tender flesh^^. For the demo see the quote before :)
Also, that one question:
The girl sprite is a bit different from the male sprite which leads to her being displayed slightly to the left and down. My question is is this disturbing?
In which way? Like, is it chauvinistic or something else?
No it is more if the positioning is disturbing immersion. I myself am having the problem that I always feel every single pixel a picture is off and it destroys my immersion completely. But as its not for me I want to know if it is ok or problematic for those that are the target players for the game :)
That's it from me. I am really looking forward to this game. Good luck!
Thanks for the luck wishes and the feedback!

Kaina Blue
Regular
Projects: Howl of the Blood
Tumblr: kainablue
Deviantart: KainaBlue

#10 Post by Kaina Blue »

Thank you for such an elaborate explanation of the hybrid thing. I understood everything, don't worry, and now I am even more interested in your game! :D
I dislike those stories/films where ppl from modern times end up in medieval times and triumph over all thanks to their intellect.
That was exactly my first thought! I am so glad you dislike it too. Now I'm certain I won't get annoyed by smartass futuristic conversations in medieval setting. :D

It is very clear that you are putting a lot of effort in it, and it sounds like it will be a lot of work. But I hope you will persevere since I think it is very much worth it.

Again, good luck! :)

p.s. About the testing - my exams start next week and on a same day I start a new job. :? So, for the next month or so, I'll be very very busy, and very very much freaking out. If you still need some testers after that period, feel free to contact me. :)

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ryue »

Tnx again.

So update time:
20.08.2015: Changes implemented. Restructuring RPG classes and remodelling RPG system. Alpha tests still.
When I finished rewriting the rpg parts....they were clunky as hell to use. Also a few parts of the screens were hindering the view of the pictures of the enemies. And to make matters worse I tested a few extreme cases for the dice rolling on paper and............found out that for high attributes and high skillvalues for the enemy it is almost impossible to achieve any success (so far I only tested normal level attributes and also skill levels up to competent level).

Skillvalues and attributevalues. Both range from 0-10. For humans attributes of 5 is the norm (except willpower which is 6). Skills on the other hand have a normal rating of 0 but 3-4 is a competent rating. What I originally tested was attributes of up to 6 and skill ratings of 1-3. When I tested attributes of 6 and skills of 7 I found the problem.
To make it a bit more clear. With how dice rolling worked high attributes 6-10 OR high skills 5-10 were no problem but both high attributes and high skills broke the system.

So this leads to what I'm currently doing:
1.) Restructuring the RPG classes (one hell of a work to do but already beginning to be easier to use and no more clunky)
2.) Remodelling the dicerolling system. This has been done already on paper need only to put it into the PC.....funny part though is that the rolling system is now WAY easier AND more balanced (and can simulate all from normal guy, to hercules to a whole army without problems).
3.) The sight problem. Here I already have a solution. I'm using the same layout as etryan oddisey has:
The menu completely to the left, the stats of the chars below.
Although in my case also the text will be below on the top row an initiative list will be existing.
In essence this:

So the current steps are to finish restructuring the RPG classes and also reorganizing the screens to follow this design (the old one had the menu in the middle which was........bad). And after that and a few tests by me I can continue alpha testing.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Ryue »

Úpdate 30.08.2015: So what have I done since the last post? I have been working on the combat engine so that the results it has look like something that is a bit more than a text only display :) I think I did a quite acceptable job there with just copy & pasting backgrounds from other parts of the game. Furthermore I redid the screens in order to make the better looking layout AND also redid parts of the program to have it more object oriented.
A close look here:

What is next? Now that is up to all that read this here so to say :) I put up the latest build version for my testers to test and if they don't find anything I'm going to put up the combat engine for a public test so that this whole week it can be tested by all of you.

During this I will also contact artists to help me create the backgrounds that really fit the combat and brighten up the screen :).

That is the next step. After that is also finished and all tests are ok I will integrate the rpg engine into the main game and then prepare for the full demo.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Ryue »

31.08.2015:
As I promised yesterday the combat demo/ open beta is now ready:
Combat demo/open beta

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Ryue »

19.09.2015:
As the demo brought a few good infos and feedback I changed most of the things ppl found bad over the course of the few weeks. Sadly I went sick else I would have completely finished those changes already (got sick last friday until including this wednesday.........got a "nice" reminder there that I HATE stomach flus).
But back to topic. During the changes due to feedback (also a bit during the initial programming of the combat system) I noticed more and more that there is an imbalance in the dice rolling mechanics I use.

As an info there: I'm currently beta testing the rpg mechanics I created for the game on roll20 as a pen and paper game.

The beta here and also the pen and paper beta showed some basic problems there. My tries to correct these problems........failed. The only possible solution would have been to get so complex that it would have been impossible to use as a pen and paper system (and to become a nightmare to program in in the computer version). So since getting better again from the stomach flu I've been redoing the whole system from scratch. It is way less complicated than before and more stable at the moment but has a few things that I do not like but will have to accept.

Most notably: The old system made skills work differently from attributes, giving them their unique flavor in terms of how the dice mechanics work for them. The new system just plainly goes standard and adds the two togehter to get the total dice pool (for those of you pen and paper gamers: Its now a typical attribute+skill dices success based system). Hurts me a lot to do that but in all honesty sometimes you have to do things you don't like and concede defeat.

So what does this mean for the game and also the rpg demo? Do I give up? NO! So what else does it mean?:
1.) I need more time to integrate the new dice rolling schemata into the computer rpg system
2.) I need to thoroughly beta the new dice rolling mechanics both via the demo http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=33837 and more importantly via the roll20 pen and paper group (this is more important as it more easily brings problems to light).
3.) Then I need to integrate all solutions for all additionally found problems into a new solution.

In essence.......it is a big time plan setback by 1 possibly 2 months as I want to make sure that the system is doing what it should do (not that I overlook basic problems again) and that it is stable enough to be used.

As soon as new versions and infos are available I will as usually post.

sbester
Regular
Completed: Crime Opera: The Butterfly Effect
Projects: Crime Opera II: The Floodgate Effect, Untitled Gundam Fanmade VN
Organization: Crime Opera Studios

#15 Post by sbester »

Looks great! Will check it out when released!