Witch's Brew [Temporay Hold]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

Witch's Brew [Temporay Hold]

#1 Post by Thirteen »

This game will temporarily be on hold, while I work on a more manageable game
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
TW: Demons, body horror, things with more than two eyes, sassy MCs, and a dev that's bad at its job
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Tagline: "Abusing magic in the name of love."
DevBlog
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Play as a young witch trying to find their place in the world!
Brew potions, make some sweet gold, and try to gain the favor of one of the interesting beings that inhabit your small town.

Maybe they'll even love you without the help of a love potion!
Probably not.

You are young witch fresh out of Glamkic Academy of the Magical Arts. You've graduated with a degree in apothecary, specializing in potions which alter the fate of others. But what about your fate? Truth is you've been single during your whole time at the academy, I guess Cambions aren't popular on the dating scene, huh? Now back at home, with your rather strange parents, you help with the family potions shop absolutely desperate for a significant other.
I'm sure you'd be able to find a suitable partner, but how will you go about romancing them?

With charm and grace?
Or will you intimidate them with you demonic powers?
Or perhaps a love potion?
Maybe you'll actually get to know them !?
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Characters

Name:Zemroth
Sex: Some unknown demon sex. They use they/them pronouns.
Their current form is not their true form. The more emotionally disturbed (whether positively or negatively)
they become the more demonic their appearance becomes.
They aren't that great at holding glamours...

Name:???
Called: "Zaza" by its child.
Zaza is an affection term and is a gender neutral equivalent to "mama" or "dada"/"papa"
Sex:Some unknown demon sex. It uses it/its pronouns.
It's pretty dang cranky. It absolutely hates humans, but tolerates them because Layla makes it.
If it had it its way it'd live in the abyssal plains and destroy all the humans, ever.
It takes care of its child by cooking and cleaning for them, as well as defending them from a certain
necromancer who can not stop OGLING THEM WITH HIS FILTHY HUMAN EYES.
It also tutors magicians in the dark arts on the side to make a lil' extra gold; usually gives it to Zem,
or buys fancy jewelry for itself.

Name: Layla
Called: Ma by her child
Age:Like 40, maybe???? No one can really tell ever since she enchained Zaza to herself.
She's like, kinda immortal now. Lil' bit immortal.
Sex: Female.
She's like your friend's cool mom. Really super neat, but she's not at all a good parent to her actual child.
She tries her best though, but just isn't cut out for it is all.
She spends a lot of her time at Glamkic Academy, she's an instructor on demonology, though is known for very for some of her more seedy activities.
She doesn't have the greatest relationship with Zemroth.
Zem feels like she just isn't really there for them. This, of course, causes Layla a great deal of distress.

❤❤❤The Baes❤❤❤

Name: Ariana
Called: Ari
Sex: Female
She's very small, but very tough. She is really into fashion, especially "dolly" fashion.
She's also really interested in magic, instead of being terrified by it as most non-magical humans are. She goes to the potion shop a lot to watch Zem mix potions.
She looks very stern and serious, but she's actually quite cheerful and very funny.

Name:Jared
Called: Douché
Sex: Male
He's studying necromancy under Zaza. He has a huge not-so-secret crush on Zemroth (everyone is aware of it except Zem themself).
Jared doesn't know how to express his feelings in a healthy way, so he is really mean to Zem. And pines over them in a really unhealthy way. He's sorta idealized Zem, which really isn't cool.
He's very insecure about his feelings, so he tries to cover it up with his harsh attitude.
He likes to hang around graveyards and draw as well.

Name: Carrie
Sex: Female
She's a really neat werewolf. She's super friendly and sociable, and cool with pretty much everyone.
She's a bit of a party animal though, and sometimes that gets her into trouble.
She's not in town when the full moon comes around. Mostly because she really cannot
control her werewolf state.
She has a hard time coming to term with the fact that she is a werewolf, but tries her best not to get too upset over it.

Name:Kennith
Called: The Mummy
Sex: Male
He's an invisible man, it sorta runs in the family.
He doesn't want to be invisible though. He's hoping that Zem could maybe come up
with a potion to make him visible, at least for a lil' while.
He swings buy the shop from time to time, usually to ask Zem about their potions and maybe drop of some flyers for a gig his band is playing.
He's pretty cool, he's in a band called "The Living Dead" and plays the drums.
He's super casual and chill, and prefers low key events. HE a bit introverted, but once you get to know him he's very open.
Name: Kü
Sex: Some unknown demon sex. It uses it/its pronouns.
It's Zaza's best friend. It's also a pretty powerful demon lord in the Abyssal plains.
But it's mostly a figurehead; its younger sibling rules behind the scenes.
It does a lot of political work though, especially public relations.
It's really soft spoken, and shy.
Even though it's very timid and kind, it can be absolutely ruthless when put under great pressure.
It has taken a shine to Zemroth, and often visits them and Zaza, especially when demon politics stresses it out.

Gameplay
It will be like a general Otome Game, with a "love" points system. But I'd also like to put in a potion making system.
I'd want the player to be able to make potions, and then sell them. With that coin they would be able to purchase new potion ingredients, and recipes.

I've decided to make the potion system sort of like a puzzle game, where certain ingredients make the potion a different color, so you have to mix ingredients to get the right color potion! I thought that'd be pretty simple, but also fun.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Progress

Character design: 99.9%
Story setup (Like exposition and junk) outline: 100%
Kü's route Outline: 5%
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Currently Working on

Outlining - Lord help me
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
I'd love feedback!
Unlike my first game, I will actually be putting effort in this game. It won't be just something I put together for practice.
I plan on making this free to download, but donations will be open.
Last edited by Thirteen on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Thirteen
Regular

Re: Witch's Brew [X x B/G/X][Fantasy][Comedy]

#2 Post by Thirteen »

Update 4-18-15:
Recently I've been outlining and working on character development!
My outline has covered the Prologue and half of the first chapter.
The outline is 3 pages long and 1,000 words! So you can expect this VN to be rather lengthy! I'm hoping to make it at least 20,000 words or more. But since it's going to be very dialogue heavy expect more!
I've also worked out how I want the game to be formatted. It will be running on a calendar system, and the story will go day by day, sometimes skipping some days. Days will be formatted as such:

Morning: Brew potions (an essential part of this game.)
Afternoon: Go shopping, or Hang out with someone.
Evening: If you went shopping you can choose to hang out with someone. If you chose to hang out with someone in the afternoon you can continue to hang out with them or hang out with someone else.
Night: Zem goes home.
(This format is subject to change! I'm still trying to figure out how I want all this to go!)

I'm not sure how long the game will span month wise, I'll figure that out during writing.
I've also got a basic idea of how I want the potion mini-game to work!
potion making mini game.png
If you'd like to see me talk about characters and the outlining process, and get more frequent updates on the game you should follow my devblog!
Next time I update the outline will be completed a significant amount!

Update 4-26-15:
So college right? I'm nearing the end of my first semester, so I haven't been able to work on WB at all. That being said once summer vacation comes I will have a lot of free time to work! I'll be trying to get some more outlining (which hasn't been worked on at all lmao) in the next few weeks!
Please be patient with me! I'm a 1 person team haha.
Also! As for future games my girlfriend has been wanting to make VNs, but doesn't really get the coding stuff, so I plan on helping her out with that. Hopefully in the future I will be able to share the games we make together here! Have a nice week! ^u^
Last edited by Thirteen on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

bellice
Veteran

Re: Witch's Brew [X x B/G/X][Fantasy][Comedy][Slice of Life]

#3 Post by bellice »

I'm sold.
The very fact that the main character's description basically goes 'thirsty af y'all' makes me want to play this. Also because I can romance a female werewolf and I friggin' LOVE female werewolves.
(By the way, you sometimes used 'he' instead of 'it' in Zaza's and Kü's descriptions.)

Thirteen
Regular

#4 Post by Thirteen »

bellice wrote:I'm sold.
The very fact that the main character's description basically goes 'thirsty af y'all' makes me want to play this. Also because I can romance a female werewolf and I friggin' LOVE female werewolves.
Yes!
Lmao I wanted it to be kinda silly game, so I thought this was the perfect basis for an otome game! honestly i don't think I've seen games where the protag. is just like "I'm thirsty where the baes at?"
Like the whole plot is that Zem is wants to go out on dates and be romantic! And the player has the options to abuse magic or go a more traditional otome game route!
Yeeeesssss femme werewolves are so important. And Carrie is such a fun interesting character, she's like my dream girlfriend haha.
(By the way, you sometimes used 'he' instead of 'it' in Zaza's and Kü's descriptions.)
Aw shit. Lmao you'd think I'd be better at this since I use it pronouns haha.
I do this on accident a lot because its sorta programmed into me, and both Zaza and Kü are very masculine entities in my mind. Like very masculine energy coming from them, even though a lot of their characteristics are considered femme.
bluh bluh bluh
ME APOLOGIZING FOR GOOFIN UP.png
Thank you so much for the feed back!

MadlyHazel

#5 Post by MadlyHazel »

Nonbinary main character? Yes, yes, and, guess what, yes. I bookmarked this game because not only is the MC nonbinary (they're pretty much a demon why should they have gender constraints what madness is that) but there's demons and mythology involved. That stuff is pretty cool. (I'm also probably gonna romance Ku because hahaHAHA).
But in all seriousness, I'm super excited to see more for this game.

Morgan_R
Regular

#6 Post by Morgan_R »

This looks awesome. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread! ^_^

Thirteen
Regular

#7 Post by Thirteen »

MadlyHazel wrote:Nonbinary main character? Yes, yes, and, guess what, yes. I bookmarked this game because not only is the MC nonbinary (they're pretty much a demon why should they have gender constraints what madness is that) but there's demons and mythology involved.
Yes! I don't know how many NBs are on lemma soft, but I'm NB, and I love when the main character is nonbinary, or if they have the option to be nonbinary.
(I also am really into the occult and demon mythos, because I'm a huge nerd, so this game is really self indulgent haha)
That stuff is pretty cool. (I'm also probably gonna romance Ku because hahaHAHA).
But in all seriousness, I'm super excited to see more for this game.
KU IS 2 PERF.png
Thank you! (Kü is bae. Love that Kü)
Thank you so much for you interest and feed back! I'll try hard to make this game very fun!

Thirteen
Regular

#8 Post by Thirteen »

Morgan_R wrote:This looks awesome. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread! ^_^
Thank you so much for your interest! :3c
I'll try my best!

Thirteen
Regular

#9 Post by Thirteen »

Sooo instead of writing an essay, i decided to do more concept art yay!
so here's Zem's actual demon form yaaaaaaaaaay!
look at this precious bab.<br />They're super flustered so bam demon harpy.
look at this precious bab.
They're super flustered so bam demon harpy.

edit:

I drew a full body version C:
would sell your soul for a corn chip
would sell your soul for a corn chip
Last edited by Thirteen on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasterPuppeteer
Regular
Projects: WIP Fantasy/Adventure VN
Tumblr: wolfganghelps
Deviantart: muhshroom

#10 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

Ahh, this looks and sounds great!! So excited for this, and honestly already so in love with Jared and Kü...

Thirteen
Regular

#11 Post by Thirteen »

MasterPuppeteer wrote:Ahh, this looks and sounds great!! So excited for this, and honestly already so in love with Jared and Kü...
Thank you!
And thank you so much for showing interest!
Haha I really like Kü and Jared is my precious manchild, but honestly the real star is gonna be Zaza. It's the best demon parent.

also here are some drawings, because I didn't want to go to bed haha!
Ku for president.png
jared is secretly the prettiest one.png

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

#12 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

Hello =)
I was secretly stalking this post but then I had a problem.
To the point I couldn't stay silent anymore...
I really love how you answer to everybody <3, so I want to see more !

As previously said I'm quite interested by this projet, the characters you've created and their future interactions.
By the way, your chibis are also really cute.
For the dateable characters I'm most curious about how I can win Kennith's invisible heart and Kü's I don't know how heart =3.

Good luck for this project.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#13 Post by Laiska »

Wah! This is super cool! If you ever need any help on the project I'd love to lend a hand ;)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#14 Post by Mad Harlequin »

So I have to ask: is the line "Touché, Douché" going to be included? If not, it should be. :lol:

Anyway, you've got another great concept here, Thirteen! I can't wait to see what you do with it.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

MadlyHazel

#15 Post by MadlyHazel »

Kü is so moe pass it on wow.

I love Zem's demon form. It's actually really cool, considering it seems that a lot of it DOES come from Zaza, considering its' their parents, after all. It's interesting to see how the bird theme plays with Zem.