Burn the bridges;chapter 1 alpha[Mystery][slice of life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
bluedragon77

Burn the bridges;chapter 1 alpha[Mystery][slice of life]

#1 Post by bluedragon77 »

Burn the bridges:chapter 1 is a visual novel...my first one kind of complete.

It is a novel about two young transfer students with a troubled but hopefully interesting past,trying to turn a new leaf in their lives. I prefer visual novels with lot's of choices, so there will be routes. The first branching will happen when you will pick with which main character you want to play, the guy or the gal.However after that I hope to have a computer club route, a library route, a HEMA fencing route(pretty unique if you ask me), a form your own club route and a hidden mystery route. Personally my favourites so far are the fencing and mystery routes, so that is why so far those are the most fleshed out ones in my head.
Most of the choices however will be hiding a hidden skill system. Also one of the skills unlocks all routes, while the others unlock only one route. This choice is however useless later in the game(unless I decide otherwise). I am only sorry that I forgot to at least display the skills at the end since right now they don't do anything...

As for the romantic relationships, I plan to make it like this depending on the routes and their subroutes, some routes will have several romantic interests:
-boy pursues girl
-girl pursues boy
-girl pursues girl

So far in the first chapter I have done this:
-the introduction of the settings,main characters(also the choice of which one of them you will play)
-the introduction of the homeroom teacher,however his character design is a placeholder.

Known issues:
-grammar-sorry,even though I am mostly praised about it, English is not my mother tongue.(if you can please post some grammar errors here and how you would correct them)

What I hope to do for the beta:
-improve the grammar and my writing in general
-find a sound artist or at least add some sound
-display the skill scores at the end of the game
-release on android and ios

What I hope to do for chapter 2:
-introduce most of the other love interests
-more skill challenges
-more bad endings
-add the choice of which club will you join

On chapter 3 the players will already be on their route.
Chapter 4 and any further chapters if they will exist will contain the routes and endings.

Gameplay Time: ~10 minutes-up to 30 if you are a slow reader and try all the choices.

However "Talk is cheap, show me the code." So here is the link on github for anyone who wants to join on development:
https://github.com/bluedragon77/Burn-the-bridges
If you join as a programmer/storyteller I will assign a route or two to you. Keep in mind that from now on we should write everything in separate script files as much as we can. But I have a way bigger need for artists, especially sound artists.

Downloads
Active downloads:
Linux:
http://www.megafileupload.com/4Nwj/alph ... ux.tar.bz2
Mac:
http://www.megafileupload.com/4Nwl/alphabuild-mac.zip
Windows:
http://www.megafileupload.com/4Nwn/alphabuild-win.zip
Active:
All:
http://www.megafileupload.com/4Lue/alphabuild-all.zip

Anyhow,please comment, suggest, review, criticize, show me it's strengths and weaknesses!
Last edited by bluedragon77 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Burn the bridges;chapter 1 alpha[Mystery][slice of life]

#2 Post by philip »

Well, just tryin' to help out so I read your post, downloaded the active download and was prepared to go through the alpha version. Alas, the mac download will not open. Guess I will have to wait til your next release, or until you fix the present download!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

bluedragon77

#3 Post by bluedragon77 »

Here I reuploaded the versions for different OS-es.

Sorry I don't have a mac. I personally use Ubuntu Linux only. And I don't know any acquaintances that use macs...

If there was an error message, could you paste it here?

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philip »

@bluedragon77-

There was no error message; when I clicked to open the game nothing happened.

I downloaded the mac version just now, with the same result - there is no error message of any kind, but the game does not open.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

bluedragon77

#5 Post by bluedragon77 »

I am kind of late, but this is quite weird, for me it runs fine.