As Fate Would Have It [BxB][Romance][SliceOfLife]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
trevers18
Regular
Projects: As Fate Would Have It

As Fate Would Have It [BxB][Romance][SliceOfLife]

#1 Post by trevers18 »

As Fate Would Have It
Plot:

Chris is a 20-something working as a real-estate accountant in a city somewhere in America. After graduating from college with a financing major and using his parent's trust fund to pay off his college debts, he and his friend Kat, a redhead with a sharp attitude and a passion for drawing, moved to an urban city to begin life anew. As they both became busy with their jobs, they began to see each other less and less. One day, they decided that they would do everything they could to make it to a small coffee shop nestled in the heart of the downtown area to talk about their week and catch up with each other. And then something shifts their world.

One day, a new person walks into the cafe - a handsome guy with an infectious smile and a great sense of humor by the name of Leo. Without intending to, Chris immediately begins crushing on him, hard. As the weeks go by, Chris is suddenly forced with the realization that, not only does he like this mysterious stranger, the feelings are reciprocated! As a relationship begins to blossom, Chris must navigate the waters of a shaky new love and the struggles of being an openly gay couple in America.

That's not Chris' only problem, however. Chris' sister, Julie, soon becomes suspicious about Chris' supposed relationship with a girl named Isabella (a cover-up for Chris' actual relationship). Julie doesn't approve of the LGBT community, and Chris knows this. He does everything in his power to hide his relationship, but soon enough, Julie becomes suspicious enough to probe around and attempt to find out what Chris is hiding. Follow Chris as he attempts to navigate the struggles of dating and the struggles of dating a guy, as well as attempting to shut down his sister's investigation of his personal life. Will he overcome his obstacles and find true love and financial stability?

Features:
  • Fully-developed, realistic characters
  • A modern love story set in urban America
  • Minimal decision making - what you do decide majorly impacts the story
  • Possibly 5 endings (amount not concrete)
  • A game designed entirely from free assets
  • Two different versions: a high resolution version and a standard 800x600 version
  • It's free!
Major Characters:
Chris

Chris is the protagonist of our story. He is a real-estate accountant who loves financing and anything to do with numbers. He is best friends with Kat and he is Julie's brother. He is easily embarrassed when he talks to someone he likes, but around his friends, he is extremely comfortable and often very sarcastic. He loves to poke fun at Kat constantly.

Currently, he is not 100% open about his sexuality. Kat knows, and obviously, Leo knows, but to everyone else, Chris is supposedly straight.

Chris comes from a rich family. His family had great luck with the stock market and they are rolling in dough. They gave Chris a trust fund because they believed he would do great things for the family. They hoped that he would end up on Wall Street with a six figure salary and a beautiful wife. Chris thinks it's pretty ironic how much he flew in the face of those expectations.

Kat:

Kat is Chris' best friend and confidante. She is a fiery 18-year-old with a passion for drawing and an even bigger passion for seeing her best friend in love. She and Chris have been best friends since fourth grade and have told each other everything. Kat is 100% okay with Chris' sexuality and supports him to the best of her ability in every decision he tries to make.

Kat is an artist who makes a little bit of her income by selling commissions online. She does pencil sketches and digital drawings, but can't seem to grasp the exact concept of painting with a brush. She has somewhat steep prices for her commissions, but her drawings are generally high quality, so sometimes people overlook them in return for good-quality assets. She specializes in drawing flora, animals, and nature, but can also draw people and man-made objects if requested.

Leo:

Leo is Chris' crush and possible boyfriend. Leo stumbled into the coffee shop that Chris and Kat go to one day, hoping to see if their coffee was as good as his brother told him. It was there that Leo met Chris and began flirting with him.

Leo is a contractor who spends a lot of his time downtown, away from his apartment. His apartment is only a few blocks away from the downtown area, but because he walks everywhere, he usually ends up late for a lot of his appointments and obligations. All that walking, however, does keep him in quite good shape. Leo's only family in the city is his brother and his brother's wife, both of whom he visits frequently. He is extremely contemplative and often wises about the existence of humans and their purpose in the universe. He is also quite the romantic.

Julie:

Julie is Chris' only sibling. She lives in the same city as Chris, working as a lawyer. She is more up north, however, so he doesn't see her too often. She does business in downtown but she tends to stay within her region. She specializes in car accident injury cases and theft cases.

Julie loves all things extravagant and works hard towards an elegant, lavish lifestyle. She lives in a studio apartment, well-furnished and completely modern, with her dog, a Terrier named Sophia. Julie takes great pride in her appearance and has no shame shelling out thousands in clothes, shoes, makeup, jewelry, and pampering. When she isn't knee-deep in paperwork for her cases, she's at the spa, the nail salon, the hair salon, or the gym to keep herself and her body in tip-top shape.

Julie doesn't approve of the LGBT community because she believes that it is a sin against God to be attracted to someone of the same sex. Although she isn't fully devout, she does believe in Christianity and does her best to uphold the values of God and even fights to maintain the traditional form of marriage, between one man and one woman.

Sprite credit to Konett <3

Development:
Characters:
  • Personality: 100%
  • Sprites: 100% (special thanks to Konett because I used literally 2/3's of her sprites for this and I will most likely use more.)
  • Relationships: 90%
Assets:
  • Backgrounds: 90% (special thanks to Uncle Mugen for his backgrounds)
  • Ambiance Music: 10%
  • Sound Effects: 5%
Story and Development:
  • Plot: 60%
  • Events: 20%
  • Coding: 7%
Screenshots:
I will post albums of screenshots on imgur and link them to here, as the 800px wide limit prevents me from posting high resolutions screenshots.
How You Can Help:
I would appreciate any kind of feedback you would like to offer me! Feel free to pick apart my characters, my plot, or anything you feel could use some expanding upon! I'd love to hear some constructive criticism. You're also welcome to offer any event or plot ideas you feel would benefit the story (if I use one, I'll credit you at the end of the game!)
Last edited by trevers18 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.

trevers18
Regular

Re: As Fate Would Have It [BxB][Romance][SliceOfLife]

#2 Post by trevers18 »

Can I have this moved to Works in Progress, providing it fits the criteria? That's where I intended to post it and I guess I clicked on Ideas >.>

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#3 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Cute. I like BxB so will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Don't have much to say at this point. If you're planning to make it realistic, I'd suggest adding in some humour - particularly as the MC will probably have some difficult issues to go through with his sister and possibly the rest of his family.

trevers18
Regular

#4 Post by trevers18 »

Lesleigh63 wrote:Cute. I like BxB so will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Don't have much to say at this point. If you're planning to make it realistic, I'd suggest adding in some humour - particularly as the MC will probably have some difficult issues to go through with his sister and possibly the rest of his family.
I'll do my best on the humor! ;)

Demetis
Regular

#5 Post by Demetis »

trevers18 wrote: I'll do my best on the humor! ;)
Looking forward to seeing that XD Since I love humor combined with slice of life * v*
Excited to see how the characters will interact with eachother too ovob Do you have a date planned for the demo since you just mentioned it? XD

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#6 Post by Aviala »

This seems like an interesting project and I'll definitely play it when it's out! I'm really excited to see how you portray the relationship - there seem to be only a handful of VN's that acknowledge the existance LGBT community - most seem to prefer to focus only the romance, not the reactions of the surrounding world, and when there are problems, the stories seem to focus on this "forbidden love" trope that can be done right but rarely is.

But you seem like you care about this stuff so I have (cautious) high hopes for your game. 8)

trevers18
Regular

#7 Post by trevers18 »

Demetis wrote:
trevers18 wrote: I'll do my best on the humor! ;)
Looking forward to seeing that XD Since I love humor combined with slice of life * v*
Excited to see how the characters will interact with eachother too ovob Do you have a date planned for the demo since you just mentioned it? XD
No planned date, but I hope to get one out before I move into my dorm in college (August 20th). Character interactions will be uber important, too; literally, it's all the game even has lol.
Aviala wrote:This seems like an interesting project and I'll definitely play it when it's out! I'm really excited to see how you portray the relationship - there seem to be only a handful of VN's that acknowledge the existance LGBT community - most seem to prefer to focus only the romance, not the reactions of the surrounding world, and when there are problems, the stories seem to focus on this "forbidden love" trope that can be done right but rarely is.

But you seem like you care about this stuff so I have (cautious) high hopes for your game. 8)
I notice that a lot of BL VNs focus entirely on the fact that it's two guys in love and nothing else, and for some reason it's always heavily sexualized. That bugs me a lot because actual human relationships are nothing like the portrayed relationships in these games lol. Plus, it perpetuates that harmful "gay people are super horny and have sex all the time" cliche. I hope to avoid that and just portray the relationship as a real relationship.

EDIT:

The Julie update! I've coded in a few scenes with her. She's cold and relentless - just the way a money-hungry, disapproving-of-everything sister should be!
screenshot0018.png
screenshot0019.png
screenshot0020.png

trevers18
Regular

#8 Post by trevers18 »

Update time! More screenshots for everyone! The second album of screen shots can be found here. Here's a highlight from the album:
#nightmare
#nightmare
EDIT: I almost forgot, here's the current Lint:
The game contains 709 dialogue blocks, containing 5,090 words and 25,900
characters, for an average of 7.2 words and 37 characters per block.

The game contains 2 menus, 43 images, and 12 screens.
And we're not even a quarter of the way there!