Red Ties (Psychological|Slice of Life|Heavy Themes) w/DEMO

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
HidekiKun
Projects: Red Ties
Tumblr: hideki-husbando
Deviantart: vissnande
Soundcloud: Cicinee

Red Ties (Psychological|Slice of Life|Heavy Themes) w/DEMO

#1 Post by HidekiKun »

Bring me your suffering
The rattle roar of broken bones.
Bring me the riot in your heart.
Angry, wild and raw.
Bring it all.
I am not afraid of the dark.

... Sit down for a while if you wish to listen to a story -- do you want some coffee perhaps? Because if you desire
a story, this won't be one I can finish in half an hour. I already called to say I'd be late getting home, so please don't
worry about that. Now ... this is a story about how human life is flawed and imperfect -- yes I do know it may sound
like the introductory to a self help book, yer not the first to say that.

It's funny how much two years can change a person, simply from an event, or from someone else doing something
that impacts ya. Of course, the change may not always be good but on the other hand it isn't always bad either. Let
me tell ya about the years after I finished high school, when life was reaching that point where it just ... didn't seem
all that fulfilling anymore and somethin' needed to change. I'll try to cover the most important details that left an impact;
I only warn that this will not be a light story.

A story of a boy who lost in his way in the fog of his own mind. A boy who had to learn to accept his own flaws and
learned how to heal himself while healing others.

GENRE: Slice of Life, Drama, Romance, Psychological, BL, Fluff, Mature, Supernatural
WARNINGS: Heavy themes such as suicide and depression, death, sexual abuse, sexual content, swearing, and violence.

DEMO LINK
v. 1.09

Now that we got the warnings out of the way and everything is not so unhappy and gloomy, welcome to the visual novel I started in an attempt to creatively archive two years of roleplaying on tumblr, and I thought I could at least extend it out to the public as well. I don't see many game medias that cover more topics such as depression and personality disorders (I mean there are games that focus on themes such as that, but it's not something that I see very often).

It follows the journey of my character, through his viewpoint, and in some ways you are in control of the choices he makes in his life, and with what outcomes will arrive from that. There is one true path, and there are diverging paths that could lead to different outcomes that I often wonder about ("what if this happened instead of this?"). I won't cover every little roleplay I did because some are just ... unneeded to the development of the characters, but there will be smaller, fun paths that lighten up the mood and steamier ones except none are implemented right now.

Please keep in mind this is a personal project ... I am in no rush to finish it, and I'm doing it for my own fun. It isn't very far along story-wise, and I am thinking of rewriting parts of the script to sound less ... clunky I suppose describes it. I am using music not made by me, and credits will be included in-game later on, for now I have everything saved in favorites and such on.

Either way, I believe I'm rambling and you guys are here for information.

FEATURES:
  • Multiple endings
  • Variety of main characters
  • Relationship system
  • CG scenes
  • Outfits that don't remain the same the whole game
  • Breaking the fourth wall
  • Probably terrible puns
UPDATES:
03/06/15 - Redrew a lot of the sprites, some of the old ones are still lingering. SCRIPT IS STILL GROSSLY CLUNKY AND WEIRD. Need to expand on the first bad ending, give people a chance to go back to normal route like ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS. YOU SURE?
27/10/14 - Added the first of the bad endings, the script is still being reworked and added onto.
01/11/14 - A demo of the game is out and able to be downloaded at this location. There's finally a starting screen! The two branching paths are still being worked on, but blocks to keep people from scrolling back have been implemented.

Name: Hideki Hamasaki
Height: 6'4"
Personality: Hideki can often come off as someone that's uncaring, or antisocial, sometimes with a short temper and a sharp tongue. Despite the initial negative impression he can give off at first, he's the type of person to protect and to be loyal to a close friend, someone who when you're upset, he'd wind an arm around you and let your rant for hours about your crappy boss or how your favorite show killed off the best character. Despite it so, there's weight that he carries on his shoulder that he's not yet sure of how to remove-- if its even possible.

*I still need to redo his full-size sprite

Name: Raiden Lemarchal
Height: 5'9"
Personality: Raiden is naturally quiet and stoic, rather introverted. He tends to stick to himself or one person normally, finding a hard time being in a group of people. He is a hard person to get to know, simply because of how he'd rather keep himself detached from others ... his past aged him too fast. He is also rather blunt, not afraid to say what is on his mind or how he feels about something.

Name: James King (Jirou King)
Height: 6'5"
Personality: Owner of the cafe Hideki works at-- and his uncle. James is like the cool uncle you wish people had, the type which people feel comfortable around due to his caring nature and soft-spoken tone. Apparently he also has some connections in the music business, since he always seems to have albums before other people do. To Hideki he's like a father, and Hideki to him akin to a son.

... plus a lot more characters that will appear.

ImageImageImageImage
Oh look you get to see old sprites!

1. First impressions perhaps? On the game itself or characters/plot/etc.?
  2. Would seeing your relationships with characters help? Or take away from the 'reality' of the story? (since we can't see our relationships in real life with people in terms of numbers)
  3. Do you prefer having connections with the characters before you get into emotional parts of the game? What usually achieves that for you (getting to know them, seeing their life)?
  4. Does the writing script flow? Where does it seem chunky to you? (if you have played the demo)
--------------------------------------
In plague we trust.
Pixel by Kyrislian!

HidekiKun
Projects: Red Ties
Tumblr: hideki-husbando
Deviantart: vissnande
Soundcloud: Cicinee

Re: Red Ties (Psychological|Slice of Life|Heavy Themes) w/DE

#2 Post by HidekiKun »

Although double-posting is really not encouraged, I wanted to show off the difference (full-sized difference) between the first sprites I made and the seconds as well.

HIDEKI
Image VERSUS Image

RAIDEN
Image VERSUS Image

JAMES
Image VERSUS Image
James' sprite I'm not so happy about, something about his arm is throwing me off and I can't quite place a finger on it. Either his shoulders are too raised or his arm is in an awkward position???
Attachments
hideki-irritated.png
hideki-irritated.png (29.71 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
hideki-irritated.png
hideki-irritated.png (36.99 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
In plague we trust.
Pixel by Kyrislian!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Red Ties (Psychological|Slice of Life|Heavy Themes) w/DE

#3 Post by philip »

@HidekiKun-

Started to play through this and got a bunch of exceptions - began with line 235 continued to line 265. I'm playing on a mac, with Safari.

That aside, the story was interesting; there were a few grammar mistakes here and there. I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of the story.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"