Crook To Queen [Comedy, Fantasy] [GxG] [Yurijam]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

Crook To Queen [Comedy, Fantasy] [GxG] [Yurijam]

#1 Post by Smudgeed »

Since I finally I some free time I figured it would be the best time to make this post I've been putting off for a while now. I present my Yuri Jam game; a little thing called "Crook To Queen". Crook To Queen, or C2Q, is a visual novel following the life of an unorthodox criminal Katrina Eoh and how she meets a couple of women who change her life forever. It features a diverse cast of queer women and several endings that feel vastly different from each other. This is meant to be a game everyone can enjoy but...I'm not going to lie...there will be several puns, crude humor and poorly drawn penises.

Katrina “Kat” Eoh is broke, poor, poverty-stricken; what ever way you want to slice the bread she can’t afford. Working as a fake-medium and fortune teller just doesn’t make as much money as it used to. For once though, it seems her luck might be turning around after the sweet princess enters her small business. What better costumer than a naive princess? Right? Turns out Katrina couldn’t be more wrong, and some time between chanting random words and waving her hands around, the princess ends up possessed. One small mistake turns her life into something more, slowly, Kat turns from crook to....a much bigger crook.

The player character. Kat is a superstitious witch who spends most of her time tending to her illegal tomato garden. Though her life is certainly far from boring, Kat enjoys dulling her life up. She enjoys tasks such as knitting and steaming broccoli. Kat isn't very bright, but she's quite skilled at throwing out some witty one-liners...and puns...she throws a lot of those.

An old friend of Kat's, Dalia started off as an adversary but slowly fizzled into a questionable friend. Dalia runs the local taven and is a snarky women with a passion for money and ways to obtain it. She's short, but mention that to her and she'll spit in your beer. Dalia and Kat don't always get along, but they appreciate each other a great deal. Though Dalia won't admit it, she wishes she could be more honest with Kat; there's a lot this businesswomen is hiding. Most of it is illegally obtained money.

The princess and an incorrigible troublemaker. Through she comes off strong, Emilia means well. The more she sneaks out of the castle, the more she begins to realize that her parents might not be doing such a great job. Like all princesses, Emilia has her share of problems and stresses, but it's nothing good prank won't fix. Yes, she is the one who put fart charms on all the chairs in the meeting room. Yes, the ones that make it sound like you farted every time you sit down. Yes, she does find it hilarious.

Marie is Emilia's dedicated knight and friend, recently though, she's found that most of her time is spent pretending to be the princess while the actual princess is out doing who knows what. Marie, being the great friend that she is, doesn't mind it much. She's a calm, caring person who understands her role as Emilia's servant. It is, of course, all she's ever known. A secret romantic, Marie would be lying if she told you she didn't hope for something more.

Lynn is a sultry alchemist whose time is spent sleeping and smirking. She's a highly skilled witch through she rarely does anything meaningful. She believes her invention of the "energy drink" is the best she's ever going to do and would much rather spend her time flirting with women she finds cute. Though she's the local apothecary, she can't be contacted most days through the week and so another woman--Sheena--has taken to opening up a rivaling business.

Art, writing, crying: Me, Smudgeed.
GUI, being amazing: Hazel-Bun

• GUI done and coded
  • Spites 90% done, some minor characters need to be drawn
  • Music 100% done
  • Game set for early 2016 release

If you have any questions/comments/concerns please leave them here! I'd love to hear from you! :) Let me know what character you like the best, what you'd like to know more about, etc.
Last edited by Smudgeed on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.

bellice
Veteran

Re: Crook To Queen [Comedy, Fantasy] [GxG] [Yurijam]

#2 Post by bellice »

GxG and lots of puns? Seems just like my kind of game. Definitely looking forward to it and so far, Dalia seems like my kind of woman. I do like rivalries that turn into romance. :D

Belphégor

#3 Post by Belphégor »

Wow !! Everything looks so promising !
Your protagonist seems like she will play off beautifully with all of the cast's diverse personalities (the bit about her spending "most of her time tending to her illegal tomato garden" killed me :lol: ).
The premise could lead to some great screwball comedy, and since your MC is addicted to wisecracking this can only turn into comedy gold :D

The colors are really gorgeous ! :o I especially love how bold Dalia looks with her lovely tanned skin and glinting golden eyes..
The Princess' michievious personality sounds like a lot of fun and could lead to some pretty interesting character development.
For now these two are my prime contenders for first route :)
The fabulous hair is another turn on, but that one goes for every single one of the characters :P

I would probably play Lynn last, but only because she seems to be that mysterious character who opens up a whole new arc with many ramifications. I'm eager to see how her route and that of her sister will tie in with each other :wink:
Plus, I'm a sucker for the overpowered laidback mentor type :P

Best of luck to you ! I'm really looking forward to playing your game a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶m̶b̶l̶r̶

Smudgeed
Regular

#4 Post by Smudgeed »

UPDATE: I've done a lot of the writing, I'm still very busy with other work, but I'm confident I'll have at least one character done by the end of October.
bellice wrote:GxG and lots of puns? Seems just like my kind of game. Definitely looking forward to it and so far, Dalia seems like my kind of woman. I do like rivalries that turn into romance. :D
I'm glad you like it! Everyone I've talked to seems to really like Dalia, not that I can blame them :') I have a feeling you'll like Dalia a lot ;) I am planning on writing her first, so if I don't finish on time, she'll be done and ready to play at least
Belphégor wrote:Wow !! Everything looks so promising !
Your protagonist seems like she will play off beautifully with all of the cast's diverse personalities (the bit about her spending "most of her time tending to her illegal tomato garden" killed me :lol: ).
The premise could lead to some great screwball comedy, and since your MC is addicted to wisecracking this can only turn into comedy gold :D

The colors are really gorgeous ! :o I especially love how bold Dalia looks with her lovely tanned skin and glinting golden eyes..
The Princess' michievious personality sounds like a lot of fun and could lead to some pretty interesting character development.
For now these two are my prime contenders for first route :)
The fabulous hair is another turn on, but that one goes for every single one of the characters :P

I would probably play Lynn last, but only because she seems to be that mysterious character who opens up a whole new arc with many ramifications. I'm eager to see how her route and that of her sister will tie in with each other :wink:
Plus, I'm a sucker for the overpowered laidback mentor type :P

Best of luck to you ! I'm really looking forward to playing your game a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶m̶b̶l̶r̶
Haha she is designed to play off of everyone a little bit, Kat is definitely the type of person who gets on well with a lot of people!

I'm glad you like Emilia and Dalia, both are very fun to write. But I think (or hope so at least!) that you;ll find each character is fun in their own ways.

Oh no, you're on to me and my secrets with Lynn and her sister.

And thank you! Please, stalk me (oh, that sounds weird..). Glad you're looking forward to the game :)

ms45
Tumblr: saint-barbara
Deviantart: ms45

#5 Post by ms45 »

This sounds really fun!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

GUI update coming by Tuesday at the latest ^0^
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Smudgeed
Regular

#7 Post by Smudgeed »

ms45 wrote:This sounds really fun!
And it is ; )

UPDATE:

I've been avoiding the internet to really get working and while I've managed to get tendinitis, I got a good chunk of the writing down!
The game won't be released by the end of October, but I can give a 100% promise that it will be out in the next three months! I'm aiming for the end of the year, but I'm giving myself January to do more editing if necessary! Since I'm taking longer, I might even add more stuff ;) or not, we'll see how that works.

Since I can't colour, I figure I'd just post up the art for Shari and Sey. And Sheena, since she's so much fun to write. Hmm, that's a lot of 'S' names.
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (16.93 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (18.31 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
1.JPG

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Some sneak peeks at the GUI!
Attachments
extras_idle.png
crook_gui_quit.png
mm_hover.png
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Sayashiro
Regular
Projects: Freak-Quency, Cafe Memoria, Amplitude, Spring Breeze, Escape from Puzzlegate, Project Aivisu, All the Pretty Flowers

#9 Post by Sayashiro »

This looks really fun and interesting. I like the character designs and GUI design as well; it fits perfectly. Shari's description reminds me of Pheobe from Friends. =)
/ Sayaka Mashiro / Voice-Over Artist / Casting Director /
l Website l http://sayashiro.wix.com/sayakamashiro l

Smudgeed
Regular

#10 Post by Smudgeed »

Sayashiro wrote:This looks really fun and interesting. I like the character designs and GUI design as well; it fits perfectly. Shari's description reminds me of Pheobe from Friends. =)
It IS really fun! I can't remember the last time I had so much fun creating something. I hope you'll enjoy the game and I'm glad you like the designs :) I've never watched Friends though....I know...I know.... but I'm glad some connections are being made to it haha

Now that the wonderful Hazel-Bun is done the GUI. I can start putting everything in the game! My wrist is still injured but that can't stop me from coding. I've created the Itch.io page for it as well, and submitted it for the Yuri Jam.

I finally get to update with more exciting stuff and that makes me happy :')
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Smudgeed
Regular

#11 Post by Smudgeed »

With my computer's wifi not working, it's been hard to update the progress of this game but it is progressing! I've updated the progress on the first post but know that all that really needs to get done is the writing! Game still on schedule and everything is working out nicely :) Here are some screen shots. Thank you for reading :)

EDIT SINCE I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A NEW POST: My harddrive failed, I've lost most if not all files for this game and other games I was working on :'( so uh, this has been cancelled until further notice. :\
Attachments
5.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG