Fantasia : Minstrel's Rhapsody Demo

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Fantasia : Minstrel's Rhapsody Demo

#16 Post by azureXtwilight »

Ah, what I meant is using centered it made it show up at the bottom at the screen not at the center like it used to be, which makes it harder to read
Attachments
ScreenShot029.jpg

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

#17 Post by xavimat »

Hey, azureXtwilight! If you need help with code, you could ask your Secret Santa :lol:
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#18 Post by azureXtwilight »

xavimat wrote:Hey, azureXtwilight! If you need help with code, you could ask your Secret Santa :lol:
Oh sure! How do I change the centered-bottom position in the centered tag into centered-center?

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

#19 Post by Saltome »

Hmm... You can define your custom positions, can't you?
That's what the tutorial says.
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#20 Post by Donmai »

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the discussion here (it happens to me a lot of times :lol: ) but here I go. In The One in LOVE I've used the 'subtitle' layout to define my characters. See if it works for you:

Code: Select all

define n = Character('Name',
                        what_size=18,
                        what_kerning = 2,
                        what_layout="subtitle",
                        what_outlines=[(1, "#0008", 1, 1), (1, "#999", 0, 0)],
                        window_yalign=0.98, #vertical position of the text
                        what_xalign=0.5,
                        what_text_align=0.5,
                        who_size=20,
                        who_layout="subtitle",
                        who_outlines=[(1, "#0008", 1, 1), (1, "#908890", 0, 0)],
                        who_xalign=0.5,
                        who_text_align=0.5,
                        window_background=None,
                        window_yminimum=0,
                        window_xfill=False,
                        window_xalign=0.5)
Just style it to your taste.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

#21 Post by xavimat »

azureXtwilight wrote:Oh sure! How do I change the centered-bottom position in the centered tag into centered-center?
Well, the question is why is "centered" acting like that. It shouldn't.
Have you customized your "say" screen? Os maybe defined styles like "centered_window" or "centered_text"? (these are the defaults used by the "centered" character).

Try to define your own centered character using this:

define cent = Character(None, what_style="centered_text", window_style="centered_window")
If it doesn't work, try a longer definition:

define cent = Character(None,
    window_yminimum=0,
    window_background=None,
    window_xalign=0.5,
    window_xfill=False,
    window_yalign=0.5,
    window_yfill=False,
    what_textalign=0.5,
    what_xalign=0.5)
And use this "cent" character instead of the "centered" one.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#22 Post by azureXtwilight »

It seemed like the codes didn't work for me :( I'll PM Xavimat for some coding help so this won't go too off-topic :)

The Monkey Ninja
Regular
Projects: 3^07, OneTimeValentine, OtomeDesign
Organization: MooseCake Productions
Deviantart: the-monkey-ninja

#23 Post by The Monkey Ninja »

Going to leave my thoughts, BUT BEFORE I DO:
ketskari wrote:
An unexpected knock at the door interrupts their moment.

The Lady ended her icy vigil and turned to face Angelica. She seemed bored. (Past tense)

Not surprising, as she is immortal. Evading death and being above everyone else must be tedious. (Present tense)

The twist was a fun surprise--looking forward to seeing the completed story. :)
^actually the Present tense one is correct as Cheryl is STILL alive and doing those things. If you change that into past tense it will imply that Cheryl is A - no longer immortal, B - does not or is unable to evade death anymore, and C - is no longer above everyone else in status.
Though perhaps I'm missing another way you could change it without losing or altering the meaning.

Kokoro Hane wrote:Personally, I also think when she dances with the guys it should be an event CG as well, though not as strongly as the first CG suggestion, this would just be nicer.
azureXtwilight wrote:
They will all be dead and forgotten anyway, so I see no use for that.
^Wait what.
If you kill them off I don't think this game can be labelled an otome game any longer. Unless of course they were just meant to confuse the player and the REAL love interests are introduced later in the game (in the full game mind). ...Unless you were joking. You sly fox you -shot- XD
/yes

ONTO MY THOUGHTS.

As you know, since I gushed about it elsewhere XD, I was completely blown away by the plot twist.
When Aimee hit Esmond (and all the other guys over the head, but he was my first play so I'm using him for the examples XD) over the head I initially thought that the Princess was just... I don't know. Getting back at him for moving too fast, or proving a point to other kingdoms that she wasn't going to take their threats lying down and didn't need A MAN to ensure her kingdom was safe. Or something. So when her sprite changed to what I dub the "crazzzzzzy face" and the next scene showed him tied to a chair I was just-- I was slamming my hands on a glass table (re-inforced) and nearly knocked my glass of water over. Like HORY SHET WHAT IS THIS. I honestly didn't expect such a twist to the game -- I mean its Fantasia, we haven't had a Doppelganger: Dawn of the Inverted Souls vibe for any of them. AND THEN IT HAPPENED.
Needless to say I was intrigued, shocked, and am now paranoid about trusting games from cover-view.

I'm going to be honest, with positives and negatives and negatives that are actually a positive and blah blah blah ON TO THE POINT.
When I started the demo I was drawn in by the reference to the past Fantasia games and felt a mix of nostalgia and pride, because everything being recalled was something that, as a player, I had been able to experience alongside the heroes. After that however and some time in I found myself bored. Angelica just seemed very full of herself to me - though that is to be expected because she's a princess - but generally that aspect in female characters makes me want to backhand them -SHOT- (I don't know why, its just a thing). That's just a personal thing so its only a downside for me really - and I mean, it makes sense, considering she's
crazy and thinks that what she's going to do is right. Yay self-righteous lady with equally worrying employees that are a bad influence!
. Ignoring that though everything seemed slow and like it was going to be somewhat predictable -- which, after playing the demo several times, is likely what the plan was. It was precisely because of that slow-paced, I-know-where-this-is-going start that the plot twist was so absolutely shocking and...well. Exciting. So I guess its both a pro and con with the mediocre beginning because it made the twist that much more.
Someone on here said, and I can't be bothered to go back and find it and then quote it, that Angelica's sudden shift in personality was odd or not possible. I disagree - considering in reality you will find these sort of people. We have numerous medical terminology for such disorders including being bipolar, schizophrenic, psychopaths...and so on. Plus faking being a good guy is something 90% of the world populace does, so can anyone really think that the reveal was strange? I don't. I'm sure there could also be a possible magic twist but yeah XD Shall await the final game.
Some bad or confusing points:
(buckle down and grab some tea, because this first point is going to be a long one)

1) -Angelica and Cheryl's meeting confused me somewhat. Angelica made out that Cheryl had screwed a lot of things up and so had the existing immortals in general. Cheryl acted as though she were guilty and HAD done as such. Except.... she hadn't.

In total there are four immortals in Fantasia. Not including Thanos because he is Oswald's duplicate or shadow, something which the other two immortals that were created alongside Oswald had. In Fantasia: Realm of Thanos it is noted that there were THREE immortals, each with a shadow (making six in total) and this was how things were. It was how Fantasia worked and they were to handle the various life and death and rebirth tactics of Fantasia.

Oswald killed one (I always forget the guy's name XD) and Vestoria died as well (...unless I'm remembering things incorrectly). Their duplicates were also killed. That left exactly two immortals - Oswald and Thanos, his double.

Cheryl becoming an immortal filled Vestoria's gap. While Cheryl hasn't been described as having a shadow duplicate, I assume she does as well. So that's two - which means four immortals when considering the shadows. There were originally six (including the shadows). Valen is an immortal and Cain became one. Assuming they also got shadows, that is 8 immortals. Only two more than what was initially in Fantasia. Aside from possible overpopulation I don't see how the number could cause any problems, and all of these characters are good. Ignoring the possible doubles. IN WHICH CASE if we are to assume that no, there are too many, and as another assumption, the doubles are evil (a bit like Thanos) then surely simply killing the doubles would be the answer? Something possible by the others? Vestoria's was dead and she was able to live. So this should be possible for all the other immortals, correct?

On to the point of Cheryl being bad for falling in love with Oswald and making him good --- how was this bad? Oswald, Vestoria, and whatshisname were created and had a purpose in Fantasia. Surely killing Oswald would actually have a far more devastating reaction than letting him live? Who is going to handle the cycles if all the immortals are dead? *backhands Angelica*

Then in relation to Angelica worrying about her kingdom... I find it odd that she blames the immortals. What did they do? And there certainly can't be a complaint about not making things better for elves, because Gil's whole involvement in Fantasia: Realm of Thanos got him a higher position and Raven's deeds in Fantasia: Requiem of the Abyss certainly got some notice (even if he is crazy now). All those involvements involved immortals. So why is Angelica's kingdom's crippling state because of them?

...ramble ramble ramble.
I just find Angelica's hatred of the immortals heavily unfounded and something that definitely needs a look at. As well as the whole world-falling-apart because of immortals thing.

2) The end part after the Cain and Volg cameo was a flashforward to a future part in the full game (something that was done in MOGFs first demo as well). I found it very confusing though. Obviously not know the full extent of what is going on would do this but I think in terms of dialogue this may have also been why. Also the last few lines are only by Volg, but it seems like its meant to be two different speakers?

3) General - occassional awkward sentence, proverbs being used incorrectly, and incorrect spelling or word use.

4) A rollback error or something during one of the character's scenes at the ball - you could ignore it so it was fine, but just a heads up (probably a missing file, I didn't check to see what it said). Initiated by one of the choices I believe.

5) Character mouth movements seemed a bit awkward in this demo.

6) I would maybe enlarge Angelica's eyes a little as they seem a bit small on her face. (so just re-size eye image).

7) Esmond and...was it Fakir? Well anyway, their shocked/disturbed look when the Princess didn't kiss them bothered me. I don't think they should have treated it as that much of a shock, as if the Princess was being weird by rejecting them. Girls do that. (-shot-) Plus the follow up, "If this is a joke, it isn't funny" seemed wrong, again because they shouldn't have been THAT disturbed by Angelica rejecting the kiss (even when initially pretending she was going to kiss them. Their horror made me think they were like OMG-she-changed-her-mind-midway-and-didn't-let-me-kiss-her-THE-WORLD-IS-ENDING). I would just down it to being confused with a different facial expression and saying something more like, "What's wrong?".

Back to the good:

1) For the boys I love how floored all of them were. Especially Esmond because he suddenly seemed so awkward and lost all his confidence
when he found himself in that chair.
Reuben I just felt sorry for. Such a sweet kid XD And Fakir - I loved Angelica's "Ughhhh" expression when he said he wanted her to know him better. XD I was surprised by what an arrogant ass Fakir is because his sprite made me think of a gentle, shy giant. HOW WRONG I WAS. Anyway, I really enjoyed how he still retained some of his confidence even when in
THE CHAIR OF DOOM
and didn't look like he was
going to wet himself
the way the other two guys did.

2) I liked Angelica seeming more in control as a person
granted while having men strapped to a chair and looking rather crazy
than as her Princess self. Being self-righteous is better than the I'm-important-look-at-my-royal-buns air in my opinion. XD

3) Aforementioned plot twist ^ I'm excited for the full game now!

4) Enjoyed the main menu screen change after the first playthrough!

5) Enjoyed the MENZ and cameos. I still hope to see Oswald, because he is gorgeous. (I do wonder though, since they don't age, why do they look like adults now when both Cheryl and Oswald stopped aging at 18?) Volg was SMOKIN'. Cain in fancy clothes made me laugh though XD

6)
Aimee hitting the shet out of the guys' heads with a chair or whatever
sound effect was fantastic! Loud enough in my ear too that I felt like I was getting
bludgeoned to near-death.

All in all I really enjoyed the demo and am looking forward to the full game! MYSTERY AND SUSPENCE.
And I still hope choice-based romance.

/if you read all of this I am pleased. XD
--
Cloaks are wonderful things~ <3

My DA page for all my art:
http://the-monkey-ninja.deviantart.com/

Ex-Nanoreno2017 game One Time Valentine has a (very rough) demo out now!
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=43314

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#24 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yay, review!
If you kill them off I don't think this game can be labelled an otome game any longer. Unless of course they were just meant to confuse the player and the REAL love interests are introduced later in the game (in the full game mind). ...Unless you were joking. You sly fox you -shot- XD
No, this game is still GxB. There are still multiple love interests, but just not how it is usually done. :)
As you know, since I gushed about it elsewhere XD, I was completely blown away by the plot twist.
When Aimee hit Esmond (and all the other guys over the head, but he was my first play so I'm using him for the examples XD) over the head I initially thought that the Princess was just... I don't know. Getting back at him for moving too fast, or proving a point to other kingdoms that she wasn't going to take their threats lying down and didn't need A MAN to ensure her kingdom was safe. Or something. So when her sprite changed to what I dub the "crazzzzzzy face" and the next scene showed him tied to a chair I was just--
ANGELICA NEED NO MAN YES. AHEM. Basically now we are playing as the villain, it is not what I usually write, but yes, I am trying to make her as a very good villain in a sense that she actually cause bad impacts to people. She was supposed to pretend as a very graceful ladylike and fragile princess until the reality is whacked upon them. Also, she has no feelings or interest towards other people since they don't matter to her, except the players can choose if she wants to bother with other people or not. Also she was not supposed to be likeable, since she is the villain. But then again, is she? :p
Angelica and Cheryl's meeting confused me somewhat. Angelica made out that Cheryl had screwed a lot of things up and so had the existing immortals in general. Cheryl acted as though she were guilty and HAD done as such. Except.... she hadn't.
The problem was actually the overpopulation of immortals and the unability of the new ones to replace the old ones. I order to stay immortal, they used away the world's energy while being unable to maintain the jobs of the old and dead ones. There are also the possibility of other "Thanos"es appearing. So she is actually planning to slay away the useless ones in order to erase burdens on the world and leave Oswald alone to do the job. At least, that's what it seems to be right now.
The end part after the Cain and Volg cameo was a flashforward to a future part in the full game (something that was done in MOGFs first demo as well). I found it very confusing though. Obviously not know the full extent of what is going on would do this but I think in terms of dialogue this may have also been why. Also the last few lines are only by Volg, but it seems like its meant to be two different speakers?
Its a teaser :p
I would maybe enlarge Angelica's eyes a little as they seem a bit small on her face. (so just re-size eye image).
I am planning to remake her sprite actually :)
I liked Angelica seeming more in control as a person
granted while having men strapped to a chair and looking rather crazy
than as her Princess self. Being self-righteous is better than the I'm-important-look-at-my-royal-buns air in my opinion. XD
Me too. Her princess self is actually kind of a masquerade.
Enjoyed the MENZ and cameos. I still hope to see Oswald, because he is gorgeous. (I do wonder though, since they don't age, why do they look like adults now when both Cheryl and Oswald stopped aging at 18?) Volg was SMOKIN'. Cain in fancy clothes made me laugh though XD
Yes all of Requiem of the Abyss characters will appear with no exceptions! ... Also they looked like that due to *ahem* change of drawing style.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#25 Post by ketskari »

The Monkey Ninja wrote:
^actually the Present tense one is correct as Cheryl is STILL alive and doing those things. If you change that into past tense it will imply that Cheryl is A - no longer immortal, B - does not or is unable to evade death anymore, and C - is no longer above everyone else in status.
Though perhaps I'm missing another way you could change it without losing or altering the meaning.
People mix tense in conversation, a character's thoughts or dialogue or in other casual language (such as forum posts), but not in a narrative (storytelling) context, which should be consistent.
Narrative Tense | Narration

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#26 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thank you so much for the clarification! :'D