Luxumbra Chronicles Demo[Fantasy][New Update][Visual Novel]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Chibishedevil
Regular
Tumblr: chibishedevil
Deviantart: rikkugurl

Luxumbra Chronicles Demo[Fantasy][New Update][Visual Novel]

#1 Post by Chibishedevil »

Luxumbra Chronicles
Luxumbra Chronicles is a story about morality and choice.

After a long break, this project has been resurrected!!
(I've decided to go ahead and try to gather a team for this project. I'll be opening a help thread in the appropriate forum soon.)
Honestly, I'm still on the fence whether to continue developing in Unity or switch back to Ren'py. Both have good and bad points, honestly. Clearly, I've improved a lot of things from the original demo in the Unity version. The unity version is missing a lot of the basic features that Ren'py comes built with (saving, basic menus) but other improvements. (true camera pans and particle effects)
This story and I have a long history, jumping from format to format. It was originally a Webcomic, but it wasn't 'multimedia' enough for me, so I attempted to making it a webseries. Turns out, it's kinda hard to find actors so that didn't work out either. Finally, someone made the suggestion of making it into a Visual Novel. Having some programming experience under my belt and the nature of the story, I thought it was a great idea. I've been hammering away at this for the past year+. I have only really played a handful of visual novels, so outside input from people more experienced in them would be wonderful.
Chandler, Prince of Ebonreach, having ended a recent war with the Solaran tribes of the eastern deserts is seeking an alliance with the magical country Mystria in the north, who helped him win the war. He returns home to rumors and hostile attitudes and a dark plot working against him. Work to uncover the truth of what is going on.
Features include:
  • Act One of the Story (Story is divided into four acts)
  • Fantasy Story that has been developed and worked on for several years
  • Evolving main character, depending on player choice
  • A Light/Dark choices that change the direction of the story
  • Branching Storyline, many endings
  • Unlockable scenes and friendships
  • Music in the first act by Cylight Studios
  • Backgrounds in Act 1 by ham
Features planned but not yet in:
  • Acts 2, 3, and 4
  • Art/Unlockables Gallery
Things planned:
  • Sounds and Sound design (and the remaining music)
  • Voice Acting
  • New Backgrounds
  • Character Artist
  • GUI design
Seeking help! People currently needed! Kickstarter planned in the future!
  • Programming Assistance
  • Background Artist
  • Character Artist
  • GUI Artist
  • Voice Actors!
  • Possible Animation? (we'll see about this one)
Follow on:
Facebook!
Tumblr!
Twitter![/b]
Some Screenshots:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Characters:
Prince Chandler Tremont

Chandler is the main character. Prince of Ebonreach, seeking more peaceful times after the recent war. Chandler can be described as fun and lighthearted, but he is very serious when he needs to be. He's always the first to laugh at a joke, and is usually the loudest to laugh. He also very emotional. He often wears his emotions (for good or bad) on his sleeves, and isn't ashamed to let people know how is feeling. This often gets him in trouble when he is angry, but he doesn't get angry very often. He can be also kind of a goofball if he feels the mood needs to be lightened, or someone is taking something too seriously.

Grand Magister Leon Devereux
Leader of the Northern Country of Mystra. He is also seeking more peaceful times and an alliance with Ebonreach. Leon always thinks and plans before taking any action. Something that earned him the title of Grand Magister of Mystria. He is always calm in any situation, rarely taking action unless it is absolutely necessary. Though often hidden behind his hat, he is often cheerful, yet also very calculating.

Aurelia

Captain of Chandler's Personal Guard. She is direct and formal with her speech. She does everything in her power to maintain order and do her duties.

Prince Chaz Tremont

Chandler's Younger Brother
Chaz is often described as the more serious one of the two brothers, although he is still lighthearted at times. He feels the need to keep a more logical and serious tone to help balance things out with his brother Chandler. He often makes snide and quick remarks, but he usually is joking or playing when he does. He is a quiet person, only really opening up to the two people he trusts the most, his brother Chandler and his childhood sweetheart, Mina. Though much more serious, he does let himself smile a lot of them time and it's usually pretty golden when he does.

Mina Devereux

Court Magician in Ebonreach and Leon's Younger Sister. Although, she acts much younger then she actually she is, she always looks out for Chandler and Chaz and tries to keep a smile on her face.

Damion Blackwood

Chancellor of the Imperial Council of Ebonreach

And Many Other Character revealed throughout the story....
Last edited by Chibishedevil on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Luxumbra Chronicles Demo[Fantasy][Mystery][Visual Novel]

#2 Post by philip »

@Chibishedevil-

Is there, or will there be a mac version?

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Chibishedevil
Regular

#3 Post by Chibishedevil »

philip wrote: Is there, or will there be a mac version?
Yep! Working on that now.
It is only the great men who are truly obscene. If they had not dared to be obscene, they could never have dared to be great.
- Havelock Ellis

<3

Chibishedevil
Regular

#4 Post by Chibishedevil »

Added a mac zip! Working on the linux and windows zips now.
It is only the great men who are truly obscene. If they had not dared to be obscene, they could never have dared to be great.
- Havelock Ellis

<3

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philip »

@Chibishedevil-

Thank you! Downloading now.

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by philip »

@Chibishedevil-

Just finished playing through the demo - a very interesting story; I will look forward to seeing the full release.

There was one exception that popped up:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/act1.rpy", line 1722, in script
n "HAhahahahaaaaa!!"
IOError: Couldn't find file 'music/flighthymn.ogg.'.

And I did notice three or four typos. Other than that, you're off to a good start . . . charge on!

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Chibishedevil
Regular

#7 Post by Chibishedevil »

@philip

Gah, thanks. I've fixed the error. *glares at that sneaky period* All the files have been updated to reflect the change.
- Havelock Ellis

<3

Chibishedevil
Regular

#8 Post by Chibishedevil »

Updated to a new version with several fixes :)
- Havelock Ellis

<3

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by philip »

@Chibishedevil-

Whoops . . . download link not working!

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Chibishedevil
Regular

#10 Post by Chibishedevil »

@philip

Ack, typo in the link. Fixed now ^_^;;;;;;;;;;; Thanks for catching that.
- Havelock Ellis

<3

BornSecular

#11 Post by BornSecular »

Hello!
So I'm a tester by day, and visual novel enthusiast by night. I couldn't help but bash at the beta and I found a reproducible bug.

From the opening screen (which I really like, BTW--I like the silhouettes with colored outlines), click in order:

Load -> preferences -> click on middle part of fancy menu graphic -> return button

Then you get this message:

Code: Select all

While running game code:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 323, in execute
screen extras:
screen extras:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 329, in execute
if lulight == 3:
NameError: name 'lulight' is not defined

Please let me know if you'd rather I just looked at the story instead of trying to break your game in general!

Chibishedevil
Regular

#12 Post by Chibishedevil »

BornSecular wrote:Hello!
So I'm a tester by day, and visual novel enthusiast by night. I couldn't help but bash at the beta and I found a reproducible bug.

From the opening screen (which I really like, BTW--I like the silhouettes with colored outlines), click in order:

Load -> preferences -> click on middle part of fancy menu graphic -> return button

While running game code:
screen extras:
screen extras:
if lulight == 3:

Please let me know if you'd rather I just looked at the story instead of trying to break your game in general![/quote]

Ah, yeah.  Thanks.  I'll look into that.  Thanks! :)
- Havelock Ellis

<3

Saltome
Veteran
Deviantart: saltome

#13 Post by Saltome »

Chibishedevil wrote:
BornSecular wrote:Hello!

While running game code:
screen extras:
screen extras:
if lulight == 3:

Please let me know if you'd rather I just looked at the story instead of trying to break your game in general![/quote]

Ah, yeah.  Thanks.  I'll look into that.  Thanks! :)[/quote]

You don't have to look into that. I ran into that problem too.
The reason it happens is that renpy shows the title screen before it "creates" most ingame variables.
After starting the game the problem no longer happens.
Personally I suggest removing the gallery from the options screen, at least as a short term solution.

Anyway. I finally finished. I'm gonna keep it sweet and short. I enjoyed it wholeheartedly. I hope you will hang on until the end.
I loved the action sequences. Infact, that's where my most liberal suggestions are. :D But you will see that for yourself.

That said, I compiled a vast list of liberal corrections and suggestions, and comments and rambling-ons for you to drudge through. And I will attach it to my post.
Naturally you are not obligated to follow any/all of them. They may even contain errors. They are simply the things I personally feel would benefit the game.
Attachments
LuxumbraChronicles.txt
(21.2 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Deviant Art: Image
Discord: saltome
Itch: Phoenix Start

BornSecular

#14 Post by BornSecular »

I only had a little bit of time to start your demo, so I have not completed it. But I want to start with good job on getting something (anything) out there! I admire the people who can follow through and get a project out...since I haven't mastered that yet!

It looks like Saltome had a bit proofreading/editing suggestions, which is good because that was one of my "generic" feedback items. It would help a lot if you can take your script and read through it as just text to catch typos and grammatical errors. Try using a different font or background color to make your brain think it's something entirely new so you don't miss the errors you've gotten used to seeing a million times.

Gameplay:

I would recommend text to tell players they need to hit enter to proceed from name screen (whether they enter a name or not). Usually you can left click to proceed, but you can't there so it was a bit surprising.

Why are we pointing out the people with almost-crimson hair right away if the female leader is who we're actually going to focus on in the story?

Can the peanut gallery text boxes have names too? Perhaps "soldier 1" or something along those lines? It would help keep dialogue straight when it passes between Main Character & peanut gallery. Example: Main Character: "Silence could be a trap. I'm not sure I like this." "Solarans aren't smart enough to trap us." <--indicate no-name character said this. I thought it was the main character again.

Return to main menu or quit text: update to "all UNSAVED progress will be lost." I saw this for the first time after I made my first save and wanted to return to the menu. It makes it sound like my save will be lost too. :(

Proofreading:

A group of figures emerges (with an s)

"They are a patrol apart of an army" makes no sense. Are they "a patrol, a part of an army."? Or are they "a patrol part of an army"? (Still awkward--could simply say "they are a patrol." or even better "They are a patrol from an army.")

Wrong spelling: primitave -> primitive

JB Coleman
Regular

#15 Post by JB Coleman »

Hi there I am very interested in your project i am a professional voice actor and would love to join this project here is my demo reelhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MgKXPm9NerA