Health Bar Feedback Requested

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Eiliya
Regular

Health Bar Feedback Requested

#1 Post by Eiliya »

This is the basic layout of my enemy health bar. I'd like some feedback on it (preferably constructive critique). Keep in mind that this is just the sketch, it'll be cleaned up once I've had some further feedback. The art's been commissioned, by the way :-P

http://i.imgur.com/tx5Xgr8.jpg

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

Re: Health Bar Feedback Requested

#2 Post by Kate »

It looks great in my opinion. I like the contrast of the colors in the colored version. Also, nice little gem design.
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

SwedishJazz
Regular
Tumblr: zeuswares

#3 Post by SwedishJazz »

Looks really cute! I'm sure it will look great once polished.

Eiliya
Regular

#4 Post by Eiliya »

So, here's a link to the completed health bar. Add a skull to it, and you'll have the one for use for boss monsters. The theme of the game features the avatar of an evil god descending to the mortal world to lay the foundation of a kingdom in the name of his god, and takes place more or less entierly in a dark, spooky forest. I was thinking of using this concept (darkened wood, vines, thorns and cobweb) for the entire UI, but what do people think?

http://i.imgur.com/PkKePfs.jpg <-- Link

SwedishJazz
Regular

#5 Post by SwedishJazz »

From the health bar, I expected it to be for a more colorful, cheerful game! But I think the finished product looks very nice.

Eiliya
Regular

#6 Post by Eiliya »

It's got bloody thorns, cobweb and a skull (on the original sketch, at least). Except for the crystals, everything is made from dark colors. I really hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you get the idea of a colorful, cheerful game from?

Camy
Regular
Completed: When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten, Not Lost, A More Beautiful World, Beach Volley, and Here With You.
Projects: The Prince's Heart, Delphine's Discovery, A Vampire's Choice, Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Connection Pending, and Our Final Moments.
Organization: Freelancer, Pixel Pineberry Studios
itch: camy
Discord: camyza

#7 Post by Camy »

Bring out the bloody parts more on the tips on the thorns. I just thought they were part of a gradient the first time I looked. Add just a teeny bit more shadow to the thorns too since the other shadows (on the wood, health bar, and gems) are darker so try to make it match.

I really like the appearance overall though, really spooky and gritty. Adding on the reflection on the health bar was a great idea since it seems like it's blood.

Eiliya
Regular

#8 Post by Eiliya »

It is blood, actually, and when it drops, it's supposed to leave smeared marks along the glass container :-)

I'll forward the feedback to the artist and see what can be done about the colors.

SwedishJazz
Regular

#9 Post by SwedishJazz »

Eiliya wrote:It's got bloody thorns, cobweb and a skull (on the original sketch, at least). Except for the crystals, everything is made from dark colors. I really hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you get the idea of a colorful, cheerful game from?
The gems are colorful, and the overall look is cartoony. It does imply a darker setting, but to me, gives a Grim Fandango sort of vibe - cartoonish and tongue-in-cheek darkness. But then, it's just one piece of the ui! It's hard to judge the overall style just by looking at one piece.

Eiliya
Regular

#10 Post by Eiliya »

Hrm, hrm, I do see where you're getting at with that, the crystals have gotten a lot of feedback about them being too colorful.

Anyways, here's an example of the finished version, with health dropped. http://i.imgur.com/pOnpqrC.png