Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#4096 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Some very late fanart of TCAST I did in between working on backgrounds :)

And... this is not going to be finished today. I was pretty exhausted and this wasn't helping. I was trying to figure out how to create lots of detail on lots of small items without me actually having to paint everything since I really don't have time for that. I'm really trying to avoid going that.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4097 Post by SusanTheCat »

Fun with expressions:

This is the main character for Camp Renard.

Made using this tutorial:
http://careko.deviantart.com/art/Facial ... -158053744

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#4098 Post by clua »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:@Clua, I'm a little confused about what is above and what is below the water. Maybe either a couple semi-transparent colour layers for what was under underneath or some reflections on top of the water would help?
XD Thank you! and sorry for the late reply...I managed to add some reflection of the fishes, since the are the ones floating over the water

here is how it ended

Its been a long time since I drew fanart for fun>

done with firealpaca
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#4099 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: And... this is not going to be finished today. I was pretty exhausted and this wasn't helping. I was trying to figure out how to create lots of detail on lots of small items without me actually having to paint everything since I really don't have time for that. I'm really trying to avoid going that.

You probably SHOULDN'T put lots of detail on small items in a background. Selective focus is very important. Especially for a game, the character sprites are what are supposed to be in focus, so putting too many hard-edged details in the background can be distracting, shift focus from where it needs to be, and wear out the viewer's eyes. Only put detail where you need it. Looking at concept paintings can be a great study, since they have fast turnaround times and the artists have to focus on mood and setting over details. Look at some of Disney's concept art. Notice how everything in that image is just a simple shape with a couple of colors except for the focal object, yet your eyes trick you into thinking it is a very detailed scene. I particularly like the fact that one corner of the image is literally just a scribbled color.

With your lighting, HDR means a person wouldn't be able to make out the details on that shelf anyway - they would be in shadow against the strong contrast of the sunlit windows. They could see the individual shapes and packages, but probably wouldn't be able to make out anything other than blurs of color on the labels.

The background is looking nice otherwise. (Edit: I guess my advice here is - "Be more lazy! Loosen up and get a little gestural! I love what's happening with that right side of the image.")

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#4100 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:You probably SHOULDN'T put lots of detail on small items in a background. Selective focus is very important. Especially for a game, the character sprites are what are supposed to be in focus, so putting too many hard-edged details in the background can be distracting, shift focus from where it needs to be, and wear out the viewer's eyes. Only put detail where you need it. Looking at concept paintings can be a great study, since they have fast turnaround times and the artists have to focus on mood and setting over details. Look at some of Disney's concept art. Notice how everything in that image is just a simple shape with a couple of colors except for the focal object, yet your eyes trick you into thinking it is a very detailed scene. I particularly like the fact that one corner of the image is literally just a scribbled color.

With your lighting, HDR means a person wouldn't be able to make out the details on that shelf anyway - they would be in shadow against the strong contrast of the sunlit windows. They could see the individual shapes and packages, but probably wouldn't be able to make out anything other than blurs of color on the labels.

The background is looking nice otherwise. (Edit: I guess my advice here is - "Be more lazy! Loosen up and get a little gestural! I love what's happening with that right side of the image.")
I definitely agree. Next time round I'm going to try more painterly backgrounds and force myself to loosen up. Might help to do some traditional art, I'm faaaaar more loose with it. Something about digital art makes me tighten up and focus on details a lot... which is a good and bad thing and probably related to the zoom function. I have so many psychological blocks with backgrounds I don't even. What I know technically, what I know with techniques and what I have in terms of skill just... aren't hooking up together to form anything cohesive. Lack of proper practice probably. Backgrounds are going to be done first for the next project so I have time to do them properly.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4101 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Something about digital art makes me tighten up and focus on details a lot... which is a good and bad thing and probably related to the zoom function.
I fall into that myself sometimes. The zoom function is definitely your enemy there. Try to work on 100% as much as possible (easier said than done, I know). Restricting yourself to only 1 or 2 sizes of brush can help too - you can't get too finicky with details when you can't shrink down to a tiny brush tip.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:What I know technically, what I know with techniques and what I have in terms of skill just... aren't hooking up together to form anything cohesive. Lack of proper practice probably. Backgrounds are going to be done first for the next project so I have time to do them properly.
I do film studies to practice. I take movies I know had excellent cinematographers (like some of my former boss's movies; cause I'm biased that way) and take screenshots of scenes that are framed well or dramatically. I have it set up so I can just tap a key while watching and the images get saved using sequential file names to a folder.

It's really great practice, because movies are multi-million dollar affairs that have teams of artists pouring over every single shot to make sure they are perfect (I know from personal experience), so each one is like a little class in composition and design.

Pertinent to your current background. :P Blobby background for the win!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#4102 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Something about digital art makes me tighten up and focus on details a lot... which is a good and bad thing and probably related to the zoom function.
I fall into that myself sometimes. The zoom function is definitely your enemy there. Try to work on 100% as much as possible (easier said than done, I know). Restricting yourself to only 1 or 2 sizes of brush can help too - you can't get too finicky with details when you can't shrink down to a tiny brush tip.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:What I know technically, what I know with techniques and what I have in terms of skill just... aren't hooking up together to form anything cohesive. Lack of proper practice probably. Backgrounds are going to be done first for the next project so I have time to do them properly.
I do film studies to practice. I take movies I know had excellent cinematographers (like some of my former boss's movies; cause I'm biased that way) and take screenshots of scenes that are framed well or dramatically. I have it set up so I can just tap a key while watching and the images get saved using sequential file names to a folder.

It's really great practice, because movies are multi-million dollar affairs that have teams of artists pouring over every single shot to make sure they are perfect (I know from personal experience), so each one is like a little class in composition and design.

Pertinent to your current background. :P Blobby background for the win!
That's a really good idea! I hadn't thought of taking screenshots of DVDs before for practice. I'll definitely have to give it a go when I have time. Thank you~ (I'll so have to start with the Jade Palace in Kung Fu Panda. The colours in that movie were to die for)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4103 Post by azureXtwilight »

Dumping a quick art made in 1+ hour.
sh.jpg
My problem is I am very lazy, and though I don't add too much details to lineart and such. Maybe next time I shall redo this, ugh >_< #excuses I don't know if the oversized clothing works though. :cry:

Viridis

#4104 Post by Viridis »

sprite I made for my newest project, I like how it turned out but I want to know what other people think... Sorry for the size but for some reason the spoiler isn't working for me

Roiya
Regular
Projects: unnamed project

#4105 Post by Roiya »

@viridis-wow thats impressive. i like the pose.

since ive been MIA for a week heres an art dump of a sprite i made for nekosousei's game:
I hope that i have improved
My DEVIANTART=) contact me there for commisions or recruitment if you likey my art
looking for a project to join
http://roiyachan.deviantart.com/
projects i am helping:
Scattered Starlight (GxB, GxG),
feel free to contact me though if you have an interesting one^^

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#4106 Post by sapiboonggames »

IT'S A SHOTA! :twisted:

Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#4107 Post by Lumella »

Not much to show as of now. Here's one of the unfinished sprites from my game, Last Cycle's Vision.
I fancy the thought that I did well drawing him. c:

ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

Maltagliati
Regular
Projects: Lotus, Driftwood

#4108 Post by Maltagliati »

Cannot...do...fanservice! D:< /flips 1000 tables

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4109 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Maltagliati wrote:Cannot...do...fanservice! D:< /flips 1000 tables
He has no nipples! /flips more tables

Every time I see someone draw an anime character with no nipples I get an immediate image of that Marilyn Manson creepy image of him with no nipples. Do you want me to keep getting these unpleasant brain images?! :cry:

Maltagliati
Regular
Projects: Lotus, Driftwood

#4110 Post by Maltagliati »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Maltagliati wrote:Cannot...do...fanservice! D:< /flips 1000 tables
He has no nipples! /flips more tables

Every time I see someone draw an anime character with no nipples I get an immediate image of that Marilyn Manson creepy image of him with no nipples. Do you want me to keep getting these unpleasant brain images?! :cry:
Yes, it's precisely why I do it. :D The more images, the better. /cue creepy laugh in the background
But thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten completely about it.