What was your first story?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
deviltales
Regular

What was your first story?

#1 Post by deviltales »

I have an idiot title, I know...
Point is, can you remember the first story you wrote and actually felt proud of it?
Mine was in seventh grade, and it was actually the first time I wrote purely for enjoyment, not as a school essay of homework.
I wrote about a cyclop and a fairy, who became friends and tried to ease their loneliness. 4 years passed since them and I'm still proud of it. :lol:
What was yours :D?
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

Re: What was your first story?

#2 Post by inhalance »

I think I wrote my first story (or mini-story, since it wasn't that long) around 4th grade. It was basically my own spin-off of Red Riding Hood, with a little girl who goes to visit her grandma with a basket of cookies, an evil wolf wants to eat all of the cookies, etc.

I was really influenced by fairy tales back then, which inspired me to attempt to write one of my own ^^;
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

My first story was in 3rd grade elementary school, when I stole an idea from an Astrid Lindgren story and tried convincing others that it was my own. Since then, I've gotten much better at copying. ^_^
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#4 Post by lemonscent »

^ omglol.

Mine was about about twenty people who were killed by a certain psycho. They beame toys after they died, forever to be manipulated by their murderer. And then the toys decide to have revenge, but the main character is a marionette that's tied by the strings and she can't move and avenge herself, no matter how hard she tries. The toys kill the man and then their souls go up to heaven or something, but the main character hasn't avenged herself, and thus is stuck as a marionette for eternity.

That was written in like fifth grade lol.

I was actually really proud of the story. But I read it again a few years back and it was utter crap lol;; I still like the basic plot of the story, but the execution was just terribad.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

Armee
Veteran

#5 Post by Armee »

My first story is around third and fourth grade in elementary, it's about a little grumpy girl living in the farm and her chicken. In the end, her chicken died because she lost the chicken, her family found it and bring it home. The chicken named Dinah and the girl name Dot, I still remember the title:"Dinner is Dinah!"... I still have the copy of it somewhere in my room... When I read my old stories again, I found out that I'm used to be so proud at such ugly small and funny things.

deviltales
Regular

#6 Post by deviltales »

@inhalance
that is really cute :o3. I actually love wolves. I think the one from Red Riding Hood was vastly misunderstood :lol: .

@Taleweaver
lol :lol: . That's a good one.

@lemonscent
Wow O_O. First time I wrote something more horror-ish I was like " nah, I'm better off with my melancholic characters". Poor marionette though.

@Armee
That's a very interesting title you have ther. I may presume the chicken got cooked for dinner?
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#7 Post by Boomsickle »

The first story i wrote about was in high school in my creative writing class. The story is written in a first person perspective. I wrote about a man who wakes up in a birdcage protruded over a large cliff. Being dazed and not knowing how he got there he searches his small metal birds cage for something to jog his memory and to find a clue to get out. Eventually he finds piece of paper and something to write with. As the sun comes out he notices a beaming ridge and just a truly beautiful spectacle. A little bit after he hears a creek and notices that the wire holding up his cage is becoming loose, unable to do anything he sits and watched the beautiful scenery when his cage begins to plummet understanding his situation he begins writing on the paper his life story or at least the twenty or so minutes he could remember.

The story ends rather abruptly as i was making the story as if the man in the cage was writing it so he never got the chance to finish his sentence because he died. The end. All my stories in that class were real dark and all my characters died at the end of their stories. I'm pretty sure my class thought i was depressed but i just felt like that was the best way to end it. :/

deviltales
Regular

#8 Post by deviltales »

Boomsickle wrote:The first story i wrote about was in high school in my creative writing class. The story is written in a first person perspective. I wrote about a man who wakes up in a birdcage protruded over a large cliff. Being dazed and not knowing how he got there he searches his small metal birds cage for something to jog his memory and to find a clue to get out. Eventually he finds piece of paper and something to write with. As the sun comes out he notices a beaming ridge and just a truly beautiful spectacle. A little bit after he hears a creek and notices that the wire holding up his cage is becoming loose, unable to do anything he sits and watched the beautiful scenery when his cage begins to plummet understanding his situation he begins writing on the paper his life story or at least the twenty or so minutes he could remember.

The story ends rather abruptly as i was making the story as if the man in the cage was writing it so he never got the chance to finish his sentence because he died. The end. All my stories in that class were real dark and all my characters died at the end of their stories. I'm pretty sure my class thought i was depressed but i just felt like that was the best way to end it. :/
You know, I always felt first PoV is a lot harder than third PoV, but I enjoy writing first PoV far more. Personally, I like to sneak into my character's mind to write their thoughts, feelings and reactions.
And I like your story. Just because it has a bad ending - well, sort of - that doesn't mean it is not good.

NoahSindri
Regular
Projects: Truculence, Noraska:The cats valley
Organization: Sunset Productions

#9 Post by NoahSindri »

I wrote it when I was 4 or 5 i can't remember...
It was about a lion who ruled his kingdom in a really bad way...
and all the people really got tired of his treatment
so the wise turtle told them to make him a trap
not to get into details they captured the lion king and they lived happily ever after ^^
Attachments
foto.jpg
foto.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 3566 times

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#10 Post by Gear »

My first story? I think it was 9th grade (my parents forbade me from writing anything but essays as a kid), and I wrote a story about a boy who brought a gun to school. It was inspired by a kid who ACTUALLY brought a gun to our school.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#11 Post by arachni42 »

I believe I've written stories from the time I learned to write, but I don't remember super early ones. The first one I really remember was probably in second grade, and it was soon after I saw an animated version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It also had three nouns in the title and I think it was some sort of meandering fantasy story that seemed long and epic at the time, but it couldn't have been more than a few hundred words, probably less. Yes, I was proud. That was my magnum opus until 7th grade, where I wrote a "book" that I filled the better part of a standard rule notebook with... it was ~80 handwritten pages long. It was about a girl who could travel into the future for brief periods with the power of her mind. I wrote 60-70 pages of a different story in 8th grade, about a girl who gets asked out by this cocky guy she hates and says she wouldn't date him if he were the last guy on Earth... (Naturally, the next morning she wakes up to an empty world and finds out he's the last guy on Earth.) Didn't quite finish that one... but I was proud of having been able to write that much. But I didn't write any more of that length until college.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

khfan12
Regular
Completed: Clarity, a MH KN
Projects: "With You", Truculence

#12 Post by khfan12 »

My first story was written in about 5th grade. There was this girl named Maria (she was my first EVER OC) and she was familiar with most of the nicktoons. (Spongebob Squarepants, Jimmy Neutron and Timmy Turner) She and her mother then moved away from her hometown to Amity Park, where Danny Phantom is. She meets Danny, Tucker and Sam at school, and about a week after moving there, they discover that she has powers and that the reason that she moved was because an old enemy of hers was constantly trying to make her life, pretty much a living hell. Danny and the others accepted her, she defeated her enemy, and her twin brother and younger sister came to live with her and her mother. The end right? Wrong.

It is then discovered that the guy wasn't her only enemy; she had another after her who threatened her family and friends, as well as kidnapping her younger sister. She was going to run away in the middle of the night, but Danny stopped her. They got the rest of the nicktoons together, and left to go after her sister's kidnapper.

Some of Maria's old friends help her out, including Cody, a boy who she's liked for a while.

Lot's o' things happen, and things went boom.

Good guys won in the end.

Yeah, I was very creative as a child.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Clarity - MH KN- Solo Project
Projects:
With You (working title) - Lead Writer/Concept/ETC
Truculence- Concept Artist, Proofreader

Armee
Veteran

#13 Post by Armee »

deviltales wrote:@Armee
That's a very interesting title you have ther. I may presume the chicken got cooked for dinner?
You're right! After that I started to write more mystery and angst story, to me, romance's sometimes a likeable genres, but I don't focus on it too much. Most of my story's about friendship.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#14 Post by OokamiKasumi »

My first complete story was written in the 10th grade. It was a horror story about a Siberian husky that takes very messy revenge on his human murderer. It was written in first person POV from the point of view of the husky's companion, a Chow who wasn't quite intelligent enough to know what was really going on.

I really didn't like people back then.

What makes me so proud of it was that it won a short story contest that spanned three states and was published. This one story began my life-long obsession to become the full-time author I am today.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#15 Post by Sapphi »

Boomsickle wrote:The first story i wrote about was in high school in my creative writing class. The story is written in a first person perspective. I wrote about a man who wakes up in a birdcage protruded over a large cliff.
I really like this concept. A lot.
OokamiKasumi wrote:My first complete story was written in the 10th grade. It was a horror story about a Siberian husky that takes very messy revenge on his human murderer. It was written in first person POV from the point of view of the husky's companion, a Chow who wasn't quite intelligent enough to know what was really going on.

I really didn't like people back then.
That is awesome! And I can relate, since when I was younger my interests in fiction and in art were quite animal-centric for the same reason.

As for me, I feel like I already answered a similar question like this here before, but it might just be deja vu. I "wrote" my first stories before I knew how to physically write the alphabet yet, so not all of them have words. I still have them stashed somewhere. They're made of paper taped together, illustrated with stick figures in pen. As I can remember, they were whimsical fantasies involving my family members, such as "We all go to the pet store and buy a cat" and "We acquire a baby flamingo and I subject it to various mild but highly amusing torments".

Also, when I went to kindergarten, I noticed that the napkin dispensers in the cafeteria looked like square owls. So I went home and wrote a book about what was essentially a napkin dispenser flying though the night.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬