Super effective writing tips from Pixar

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
theSardonyx

Re: Super effective writing tips from Pixar

#31 Post by theSardonyx »

I guess it also differs mostly on the person.
dmasterxd wrote:Regarding the debate between writing as you go and having an actual ending in mind, I just wanted to put my opinion in. Although I don't have a completed Visual Novel on here yet, I have written some screenplays, original stories and fanfics. One of the fanfics I wrote I used the write as you go approach and pretty much ended up BSing my way through to the end of the story with the final being as random as it could've been.

I then wrote an original story with a specific ending in mind, I followed it to the point and had all the twists and turns planned ahead and it ended up being my most popular story.
I've been writing for around 9 years now (although that doesn't mean that I'm professional), so I have my fair share of experience. I get constantly hounded by plot bunnies I don't know what to do with, and get this: they're all pretty much complete. They have beginnings, conflicts, endings- the works. But that didn't mean I got things done.

"Writing as you go" doesn't mean writing when you only have a beginning. The reason why some people end up "BSing [their] way to the end" is because they probably did not visualize the story in their mind first.

Think of writing as walking down an unfamiliar street. You have a goal: to reach the end of it. But you don't know what you will find at the end of the street. So you end up taking steps forward, meeting people, getting caught up in accidents, etc. You'll know the end when you see it.

Maybe because this is how I think that I find it easier to write without a particular ending in mind.

"See, stories have a mind of their own. They go the way they want to. Despite you being the god in the world of the story you create, somehow, the characters also form a mind of their own. They will make their own decisions, be their own selves, and before you know it, the story already went into a complete tangent, a path that's completely off from what you originally planned. ... My characters are alive, in their own way, and can shape their own paths..."

I say let your story make its own ending.

((Of course some people will disagree with me, but I felt the need to state my opinion.))

Fujihime
Regular
Projects: Purrfectly Ever After
Tumblr: purrfectlyeverafter

#32 Post by Fujihime »

Thanks Ktalkimist! It opens up my mind in a lot of stuff.
It's a very good article and shall be my mantra from here on!

Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

#33 Post by Sonya »

I really like #21, identify with the character/situation. So true.

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#34 Post by SinSisters »

We were learning storytelling is school, and rules similar to these popped up (especially #16, about raising the stakes). Andrew Stanton, co-writer of the Toy Storys, Monster Inc, and part of other various Pixar movies, gives an excellent Ted Talk about storytelling. Even if you think you know it all, if you watch this I'm sure you'll come away with at least two new thoughts about storytelling (personally, mine was the 'Make me care' and the one about inspiring other people). You can watch it here.

-Nat

Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

#35 Post by Sonya »

SinSisters wrote:We were learning storytelling is school, and rules similar to these popped up (especially #16, about raising the stakes). Andrew Stanton, co-writer of the Toy Storys, Monster Inc, and part of other various Pixar movies, gives an excellent Ted Talk about storytelling. Even if you think you know it all, if you watch this I'm sure you'll come away with at least two new thoughts about storytelling (personally, mine was the 'Make me care' and the one about inspiring other people). You can watch it here.

-Nat
Wow, thanks for sharing that link. I can't believe there's a TED talk on this! :o