I'm New to This

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
MsAllwood

I'm New to This

#1 Post by MsAllwood »

I am a person who has always just written. I get these ideas for these amazing stories and I can write them but I lose motivation with no one to share them with. I'd like to make a VN. I don't know where to begin.

Would anyone like to give me something to write to display my style of story telling?
Or Even how it should be written? A script? Book style? I'll post an excerpt from one of my stories.

Ex. of my writing.

"It's nothing really." he said, they both noticed the eyes that were on them. Sophia saw a brush of red flowers pass them by and she felt as if she could smell metal, a familiar copper smell that every nurse had learned within their first year. The smell of blood.The smell hit her nose, it was like copper. The smell was like that of a penny, it was so metallic. She found that she couldn't breathe. She could hear someone gurgling and sobbing at the same time. It sounded like someone was choking on water. A sob escaped the person and then Sophia found the strength to open her eyes. As she did she wished that she had been born blind. There was blood on the walls. There was a pool of blood on the polished wood floor. In the middle of the room was the body of her twin sister, gurgling, drowning in her own blood. Sophia was shaking in fear as she slowly almost robotically knelt in the blood that surrounded her sister. Sylvia's eyes were filled with fear, her beautiful face had droplets of blood on it and tears pouring from her eyes.

"Sylvia, who did this?" Sophia sobbed pulling Sylvia into her arms. Sylvia turned her gaze to the mirror. She feebly lifted a finger to the mirror.

"I don't understand. Sylvia please!" she cried. Sophia was covered in blood now her hands.

"Sophia, I still love you…no matter what." she coughed the words up. Sophia felt her throat tightening she wasn't going to be able to talk much longer. She saw the tears in her sister's clothes. The stab wounds. Sophia had trained for this, she had become a nurse so that she could help save people and now she held her dying sister. Sylvia started to shiver in Sophia's arms. The blood loss was starting to make her cold. Sophia pulled Sylvia and folded her arms around her trying to warm her.

"Somebody! PLEASE HELP US!" Sophia started screaming desperately. She didn't want to leave her dying sister alone. The stab wounds were all in vital places, in major organs. The person who did this had to have known what they were doing. Sophia kept screaming with Sylvia's eyes stuck on her face. She looked at Sophia.

"I forgive you, Sophia. I forgive you for everything." Sylvia said to her. Sophia didn't understand what she was saying or why she was saying this. Sophia held her sister and stroked her blood soaked hair.

"For what? What have I done wrong?" Sophia whispered as she heard sirens in the distance. Sylvia raised her cold hand to Sophia's face and cupped her cheek.

"For everything, I forgive you." Sylvia said as her eyes closed softly her last breath was taken and used to say those words to Sophia.

"SYLVIA! PLEASE! SYLVIA!" she screamed over and over again. Sophia began to sob over her sister's body. Sophia's form wracked. Apparently James had been on his break when he had heard the address where an ambulance was being sent. He had hopped in and used the time he usually spent reading a book rushing over to his brother's house. When he arrived he ran to where he heard Sophia's heart wrenching sobs. James was used to the smell of blood, he usually smelled it during surgery. He was a surgeon after all. He looked at Sophia and grabbed her blood covered hands. He needed to get her away from the body so that paramedics could bag the body and get it on the stretcher. He had never particularly liked Sophia. This was a different case of scenario. She threw herself into his arms getting blood all over his white coat as she did so. She sobbed into his chest. He forced himself to wrap his arms around her.

"Do you know who did this?" he asked with a smooth, ever emotionless voice.

"I don't understand why this is happening." Sophia didn't answer his question.

"Sophia listen to me!" he shouted.

"You need to take a deep breath and tell me if you know who did this!" he told her as she stared at him in shock.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: I'm New to This

#2 Post by SundownKid »

A visual novel is written rather similarly to a typical novel. You make an outline and then write the story in the same way. The main difference is that there can be less visual description of things that are already shown. Also, the dialogue is separate, like a screenplay. And of course, the non linear style with decisions if you want to make it truly interactive.