Help with a Title?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
BlueB
Regular
Projects: Forbidden Arms

Help with a Title?

#1 Post by BlueB »

I know the writer should have the most say when developing a title for a project, but for the life of me I cannot think of one that fits my game. Hopefully some kind souls out there will help me out.

I'm not posting this in the WiP because I don't have much to show for the game yet: Just a whole lot of programming and some dialogue.

Here's the basic summary:

Emmalyn was born into a family of craftsmen. For generations, her ancestors have created beautiful pieces of art, specializing in jewelry and other accessories. However, one trait separated their work from any other; Fabrons have the natural talent of enchanting their wares with magic. In the past decade, it has become close to impossible to obtain a weapon by any legal means, due to the heavy amount of regulations that surround buying and owning one. Monsters run rampant across the world, making it dangerous to travel without protection. Thus, Emmalyn's grandparents opened an accessory store in South Stuat, a small town in the country side, to sell their magical talismans. Using their enchanted arts, they created accessories that could turn into weapons, avoiding the regulations about owning personal arms. The three generations of Fabrons, including Emmalyn, her parents and grandparents, made a decent living off of their new niche business. However, three years ago, Emmalyn's parents went missing while out foraging for materials, leaving her and her grandfather alone to man the shop.

While training under her grandfather to become an accessory maker, a young man named Louis enters the shop, claiming to be sent by the Bureaucrat King himself. Word has reached the capital of a shop that sells jewelry which can turn into weapons, and by means of proxy, is operating illegally. The King offers a deal: create a mirror with the ability to see far into space and time, and the shop may remain open; if the deed is not done, the shop will be closed. Emmalyn's grandfather accepts, and sets to work to create the piece, while at the same time training Emmalyn. However, a sudden heart attack send the elderly man tragically to his grave, leaving Emmalyn alone to complete the task...

The game plays much like Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. The player hires adventurers to go fight monsters, which drop items that can be used to make accessories, which are sold for profit. Players can change Emm's outfit, find romance, and explore the town of South Stuat, all while racing to complete the fabled mirror.

The best I can come up with is "Reflect: Something or other" or things that are equally lame. Can anybody gimme a hand?
Hey, I'm on deviantArt! Currently doing commissions.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Help with a Title?

#2 Post by fleet »

Mirror of Destiny :wink:
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#3 Post by sendo »

You got me with 'craftsmen' and 'Recettear' gameplay. The plot sounds intriguing too! I will be keenly watching your project ^v^.

I'm bad with titles myself, but how about 'Mirrorcraft' :oops: ? fleet's suggestion is pretty good too.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

BlueB
Regular

#4 Post by BlueB »

Hmm... I like the suggestions so far. "Mirrorcraft" is starting to grow on me a lot, actually. :) The name might change while I work through it, but for now, I think this one will stick. Thanks so much!

Also, thank you for your input, crestforge. I hope my game will meet both our expectations :D

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#5 Post by sendo »

You're welcome, glad you liked my suggestion! ^^ I'll be eagerly waiting for your WIP thread to roll in :)
Finished VNs:
Image Image

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

IMO, "Mirrorcraft" sounds too much like "Warcraft" or "Minecraft". People might associate it with one of those games, so it wouldn't be the best title. That, and the mirror is one of a kind, whereas the title makes it seem like all she does is craft mirrors.

Here are some of my ideas:

"Mirror of the King"
"Forbidden Arms"
"Glass of Fate"
"The All-Seeing Eye"

BlueB
Regular

#7 Post by BlueB »

Wow, I didn't even think about that. :oops: You're absolutely right.

Forbidden Arms sounds really nice... I love it, actually. Perhaps I could tagline crestforge's idea. Something like "Forbidden Arms: A Crafting Tale" or around those lines. I'll mull it over. Thanks, SundownKid!

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#8 Post by ThisIsNoName »

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw Forbidden Arms was the game Wild Arms.

My gut reaction when I read the topic was A Broken Fate, but that might sound a bit too close to A Broken Age. :lol:

Chieftac

#9 Post by Chieftac »

I see that the main story not only involves a magic mirror but also it set around the magic shop. I don't know if the store is the main location in the story or if the main character travel across the lands. If you change the story a little bit to make the store also the main location which you must protect against the monster then you could name your game something like this:

Emmalyn: The Shop of Magic

or

The Mirror of Faith

or

translate the following in japanese: I need to make a mirror to safe the magical shop.

Like the anime: Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita which is translated to: I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.

or

use the location in titles (South Stuat makes the people live there Stuaters or something like that). Then you could make the title something like: The Stuater's Mirror of Faith.

or

In japan they sometimes also use German titles for some reason i don't know. Maybe you could translate your title also to german.