A story without speaking characters (no dialog)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Chieftac

A story without speaking characters (no dialog)

#1 Post by Chieftac »

I challenged myself to make a story in which the characters aren't speaking with dialog. I know that if the characters aren't speaking with dialog but things are still happening, that you need to describe every single detail from what is going on so that the reader still knows what's happening in the story. For example you can say: "And then he shouted angry to the teacher that the grade for his test was really unfair" or "She blushed and said she liked him to." Instead of actually letting the character talk with dialog. My only problem with this type of writing is that i really don't know how to make this engaging enough so that the reader still can sympathize with the characters, or if it is engaging enough in the first place. With dialog it seems that the characters feel more lively but for now i want some tips on how to write a good story without this dialog.

SimonLayton
Regular

Re: A story without speaking characters (no dialog)

#2 Post by SimonLayton »

The story can still work without dialogue, for artistic choice and/or for style. Basically, you're writing a story with reported speech instead of direct speech. Technically, they're still speaking, but their dialogues are not quoted. And don't worry! The story will still be engaging. If you can write a story with only dialogue, then you can without it! Dialogue or no dialogue, just think: will the story have the intended effect you want if you write in this style?

Good luck on writing your story! :D
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#3 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Absolutely can be done! Keep in mind that the "show don't tell" principle still applies. Spelling out your characters motivations takes away the drama. Real people show who they are and what they think through their actions. Fictional people are more realistic if they do the same thing.

For example:
Chieftac wrote:"And then he shouted angry to the teacher that the grade for his test was really unfair"
Would be better as:
"His fingers clenched around the paper, glaring as though he might win a staring contest with the angry red grade."
or...
"He surged to his feet. The teacher started to turned back towards him. He didn't give her a chance. He started screaming."

and
Chieftac wrote:"She blushed and said she liked him to."
Would be better as:
"She blushed and stuttered so much she could barely get out the words."
or...
"Her jaw dropped open. He just stood there not quite looking at her, shuffling and blushing. She was sure her face was just as red. It took her a few minutes before she could find her voice to respond."

Showing the reader/player the situation and allowing them to interpret it on their own will keep the characters feeling real and engaging even if you aren't transcribing everything they say.

Loveli
Regular

#4 Post by Loveli »

I tend to write like that all the time (short stories mostly). It made me have a problem, is it alright to write some parts with the explicit dialogue and some with the dialogue not being explicit? It's just that I have found I tend to do this when the dialogue is not too important or I want to skip over some not so important scenes. Like this:
The girl in front of me turns around. “Hey, you should pay more attention or they may eat you up!” She then starts laughing.

“I am inclined to believe you.” I answer and start laughing whit her.

“My name is Clara and you?” She is smiling and her hazel eyes are shinning, it’s contagious.

“Danica.” I smile back at her.

“I will tell you all you need to know to survive, as in not getting eaten!” She gives me a wink and then laughs a bit more.

I laugh a bit too and thank her for the offer.

The teacher took us all over the school, giving us a whole tour. Every so often Clara would tell me more about what they where showing us. Like what would classes be like and what type of food they would probably give us. I found myself wondering how she knew so much if she was new here, like me.
Is this alright??
I think it's related to the topic so I decided to ask here instead of making a new one.
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

cuttlefish
Regular

#5 Post by cuttlefish »

Loveli wrote:is it alright to write some parts with the explicit dialogue and some with the dialogue not being explicit?
It's just that I have found I tend to do this when the dialogue is not too important or I want to skip over some not so important scenes.
That is definitely all right. I think it works in your example too :)

Loveli
Regular

#6 Post by Loveli »

cuttlefish wrote:
Loveli wrote:is it alright to write some parts with the explicit dialogue and some with the dialogue not being explicit?
It's just that I have found I tend to do this when the dialogue is not too important or I want to skip over some not so important scenes.
That is definitely all right. I think it works in your example too :)
That's very good to hear!! Thanks, I was a bit worried about it.
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#7 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

@Loveli
I'm with cuttlefish. I see that kind of thing in professional writing (novels) all the time.