FrozenApple's Future Project Ideas

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
FrozenApple66
Regular
Projects: Lunescara (Hiatus) The Cottage (NaNo16)
Organization: Pink Squirrel Games

FrozenApple's Future Project Ideas

#1 Post by FrozenApple66 »

As my writing for Hotel Geist draws to a close... (I hope to get the demo up during Spring Break~!) I thought I might as well post the idea I have for my next two games. I'd like your guy's opinion on what sounds better! :D (I also hope this is the right place to do this...)

Idea 1: Southbound (Horror/Tragedy/Drama)

Synopsis: Alex and her boyfriend Jeff are taking the subway to the airport. Along the way, the train is suddenly delayed. As they wait in their small compartment things go from bad to worse. The lights go out and there is... something on the train with them. Will they escape or just be another victim?

Gameplay: Play as EITHER Alex or Jeff and try to escape the train by moving through the train, talking to the other passengers, and collecting items. (I will need a lot of help with this point and click part of the game as I am completely clueless when it comes to coding and programming.)

Expected Rating: PG-16 (Gore, foul language)

Expected Length: Medium

Idea 2: Lunescara (Romance/Fantasy GxB, BxB)

Synopsis: MC (Name Changable) has spent their entire life training to become the Oracle, an being that will decide who is to become the next king of Lunescara by gaining the ability to look into someone's soul. Each of the princes are desperatly vying for MC's attentions but who will walk away with the crown and possible MC's heart?

Gameplay: Decide the next king of Lunescara and deal with the aftermath by making certain choices.

Expected Rating: PG-16 (Foul language, suggestive themes)

Expected Length: Long

Let me know what you think~!! :D

rakada
Regular

Re: FrozenApple's Future Project Ideas

#2 Post by rakada »

the 1st one sounds better

FrozenApple66
Regular

#3 Post by FrozenApple66 »

@rakada

Thanks for the input. Do you mind if I ask why? I know these are very bare-bones ideas but what makes Southbound sound better than Lunescara?

rakada
Regular

#4 Post by rakada »

i think the 1st one seem more interesting since it could have many interesting way that it could possible end unlike the other one just going to come down to pick the guy you like best an do his route quite a few game do that already. even tho the story doesn't sound bad

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I would be inclined to agree but only because the 2nd one sounds like a stereotypical Otome game setup. The 2nd one could be interesting, but it would need a little extra flair put into it to set it apart from other games. For example, what if it was actually a comedy. The MC has to hide the fact that she never actually had psychic powers and must use hare brained schemes to get their innermost secrets before she gets found out and (perhaps) replaced by her rival. That would be a more unusual and interesting setup that is more self-aware.

The premise of the first one is a little more unusual but it doesn't have a real hook to it. Looking at it somewhere I would probably pass it off as generic or only for slasher fans. Maybe it could have a paranoia element to it where the boyfriend and girlfriend start to mistrust each other and question who they really are. Maybe one of them is secretly trying to wring some information out of the other or capture them for some reason, and the monster/killer/whatever follows their orders. The game can have an unreliable narrator who might secretly do things without admitting it to the reader. Happiest possible ending: they had the wrong person and the whole thing was staged, with the other person just being ordinary joe. Evilest possible ending: The victim really does know a deadly secret and ends up having to kill the agent and their goons, or dies trying.

rakada
Regular

#6 Post by rakada »

well even if you add a little extra flair put into it the end point still be one of the guys become king and if you had a bad ending something happen to the girl / < get found out she a fake and get replace , what possible could make it more interesting is that none or only one of the guys are what you would say nice kind good etc type of guy and that they all scheming to become the next king even going so far as to threaten you or certain friends or people that the main girl knows start disappearing etc would add a sense of mystery and suspense to the game i think

and with the 1st one there lots of ways it could go that the something is actually good an came to help you and that your gf is the one who killed them all

or that the two of you and a few survivors is that left and that one of you is the person who did it an you have to find out who it possible could be before time run out for you would add a sense of mystery and suspense to the game you could also make choices because of your paranoia to team up with someone to kill someone off or do it yourself and the person you kill wouldn't be the killer so it actually could change what ending you got since you wouldn't have as many allies as before to help against the murderer

or could be that you were the one killing everyone all along you just didn't realize it

could also have a spit personality so that you don't even realize that you were the one killing everyone

or that the train was an experiment for secret organization and they were testing a new type of gas so that there was no monster etc on board everyone just went crazy an killed themself

Just a few things I came up with in the last 5mins.

Could possibly come up with something better with more time.

FrozenApple66
Regular

#7 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Thanks so much for your comments guys! Those are really great suggestions! :D

I think I want my next project to be something a little more light-hearted though. HG is focused on ghosts and stuff like that after all. (Though I am defiantly keeping Southbound on the back burner.) I've had another idea but I know it's really cliche. The animal-ears theme. Except, I haven't really seen an Otome version. (Except for that one with all of the wolves and Daisies.)

I'll post a follow up with a proper idea outline soon.

rakada
Regular

#8 Post by rakada »

The animal-ears theme. Otome game i think could work if you looking to do a light-hearted story

FrozenApple66
Regular

#9 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Idea #3:

Title: Beauties and Beasts
Rating: PG-16
Synopsis: Almost every time a human is born an companion appears with them. This companion is known as a Beast: an humanoid animal meant to be a life-long companion for that person. The most common Beasts have animal traits similar to domestic pets but rarer breeds exist.

Gameplay: SOL and developing relationships for the MC of choice.

Playable Characters: toying around with having the option of choosing between 3 characters?

Main Character 1: Ruka, an undergraduate student who lost her Beast at a very young age. Her parents lacked money to buy a new one as it is very rare for an Beast to exist without an Bonded Human. This led her to growing up jealous of the other kids, that is until she met Harriet. The two girls study the "Beast Phenomenon History" at the local university.

Main Character 2: Harriet, Ruka's classmate. She has felt out of place her whole life because she was born without a Bond. Her twin brother, Davey, has a companion.

Main Character 3: Clem, Davey's Beast companion. She works at the Beast Shelter downtown and has been staying with Harriet while he is out of town.

What do you guys think of the concepts of Beasts? And, do you think it would be too complicated to have 3 MC?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#10 Post by SundownKid »

The story doesn't necessarily have to be too complicated with multiple protagonists, but it puts a lot more pressure on the writer to make sure it doesn't end up complicated. After all, each character has to have their own journey and the stories have to intertwine in some satisfying way. I wouldn't really find it any more fun to read a story with multiple protagonists than a single protagonist, and yet the effort and risk the writer takes on is greater.

As far as the story idea goes I feel that it suspends my disbelief a bit too much, more specifically why and how these Beasts exist. I don't like how it simply handwaves the entire thing while expecting the reader to go along with the premise. Why do they pop into existence? Why do they have animal traits when they have no relation to animals? Why do humans have to be born and they just pop into existence? Is the whole world based on rational science except for this bit of pixie dust?

FrozenApple66
Regular

#11 Post by FrozenApple66 »

@ Sundownkid (Edit from my last reply)

After giving this some thought... I'm going to say that the Beasts are manifestations of that individual's spirit guide. That is the normal thing in this universe: humans have spirit guides to help direct and protect them in life.

If you don't have one, such as the case of Harriet, many people see it as a sign that something is wrong with you.