Do you care about how many options there are?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Do you care about how many options there are?

#16 Post by Asceai »

InvertMouse wrote:Many games, especially AAA ones, claim to have tons of options, but they end up leading to the same conclusion. They're only illusions of choice. In that case, I'd rather have even just a single choice in the game, but that decision truly changes the outcome of the story.
You know, speaking of Mass Effect 3.....

Le Hewitt
Projects: point blank notation (NaNoRenO 2015)
Tumblr: dreamsofpriapia
Deviantart: lehewitt

#17 Post by Le Hewitt »

Asceai wrote:
InvertMouse wrote:Many games, especially AAA ones, claim to have tons of options, but they end up leading to the same conclusion. They're only illusions of choice. In that case, I'd rather have even just a single choice in the game, but that decision truly changes the outcome of the story.
You know, speaking of Mass Effect 3.....
ImageImage
(production to begin in March)

InvertMouse
Regular
Completed: Unhack
Organization: InvertMouse

#18 Post by InvertMouse »

Haha, it's impossible to deny that I was thinking of Mass Effect as I wrote that. For some reason, I was forgiving of that game, though. These days, a AAA cutscene costs substantial amounts of money. To create an alternate ending that 50% of the audience potentially will never see, that's tough to justify. Back in the days of KOTOR, that was easier, since it's mostly text and voice work.

I actually liked Mass Effect 3's ending, especially after they released that free DLC *runs :lol:*.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#19 Post by trooper6 »

I thought the endings to Mass Effect 3, which I count as being at *least* the last hour of the game, were very different. I read a great article about some of the differences that happened based p. The different choices made throughout the games. They were strikingly different. Sadly, Bioware decided to go with subtlety without putting big arrows saying YOUR CHOICE MADE AN EFFECT HERE.

That I could think that the green ending was the best possible ending while others could feel like the red ending was the only good ending is one of the indicators that the game had crafted different experiences all along for each player.

The choices in that game dealt with many different elements, including shaping how you interpreted the final moments.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978