Fairy tale within a story?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

Fairy tale within a story?

#1 Post by Crystaline Spade »

I was thinking about adding mini stories into my game because one of the characters is a story teller.
Do you think it's alright or would it subtract from the main story?

What I was thinking of using were fairy tales but, not ones that have already been written.
I was thinking of my own original stories.
But you see I've never written a fairy tale before...
Any suggestions?
Should I try to recruit someone to do it?
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

SimonLayton
Regular

Re: Fairy tale within a story?

#2 Post by SimonLayton »

I say go for it, as long as the fairy tales have something to do with the main story. :)

Your fairy tales can be inspired by other existing ones, but you can add lighter or darker touches if you want. Fairy tales, in some way, are simple stories. Maybe you'll think of one, eventually.
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3 Post by Caveat Lector »

I think fairy tales can add to the story--they give the universe its own mythology and culture, and, in some cases, can serve as a handy plot device or foreshadowing. If you want to write your own original fairy tales, go for it! I would recommend reading some of the more common ones and finding a link between all of them, and see what makes them work across their own culture and generation.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#4 Post by Fungii »

It could be cool if you frame the storyteller as some kind of massive foreshadowing at the start. Like, the kind of thing where it happens at the start, and it seems really minor. Then when you complete the game and go to replay you're like "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH"

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#5 Post by fleet »

Go for it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#6 Post by Juneberry »

A fairy tale can mean different things in different places, too. You might find it helpful to build where your story takes place using them and using things about the area- it's interesting if you read fairy tales from other cultures. I've read and heard a lot of fairy tales in my own country of course, but I really like Japanese ones too. You might find mixing them works too! Basically, write stories that would make sense for the land your story takes place in. :) But the idea is really neat. I bet it'll also help you learn more about the world you're making, too :D

Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

#7 Post by Crystaline Spade »

Wow!
Thanks so much for the advice!
But, I'm still a little worried about if I'll be able to write it well enough so that when people read it they don't think cheesy...
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#8 Post by fleet »

Crystaline Spade wrote:Wow!
Thanks so much for the advice!
But, I'm still a little worried about if I'll be able to write it well enough so that when people read it they don't think cheesy...

Stop worrying and get busy writing. Remember, you can't please everybody.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#9 Post by ameliori »

This is a great idea! I'm happy if you decide to place it inside the story. Just remember that you can pretty much do whatever you want because this is your project of course! As long as the story and characters are well-fleshed out and entertaining, your audience will let you do whatever you want haha! Looking forward to hearing about it!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

RheaZeamoll
Completed: The Clown
Organization: Aurora Incendium Productions

#10 Post by RheaZeamoll »

Fairy tales are great! I love how simple they are in the story telling. :) From what I've seen, here's something to get you started on.

1. Where do the listeners live? In a farming town? Village-in-a-jungle? Alien spacecraft? The fairy tales tend to be similar to the surroundings of the listeners (children) so that they can relate easily.

2. Many times, fairy tales are used to give a simple advice to the listeners. Little Red Riding Hood: "don't talk to the strangers"; Boy Who Cried Wolf: "don't lie." It's sugar coated medicine - what is yours?

3. You have only a few characters to go around, and their motives are simple. Take Red Riding Hood. The girl: bring the food to grandma. The wolf: Eat the girl. The hunter: Save the girl and the grandma. Break down the story to really simple steps, and put them back together with lots of imagination.

4. You can start with the traditional "once upon a time," it'll never be cliche. Fairy tales are timeless - the Beauty and the Beast will always be the Beauty and the Beast, not Supermodel and Godzilla. (Although that would make an interesting story. xD)

In short, keep it short, sweet and simple, unless you're planning to go Scheherazade on your storyteller's listeners. ;)
| Writer | Editor | Artist | Honest Critique
| The Clown | dissonance in my head | aurora incendium productions |

| Editor, Proofreader and Researcher at your service! |

Dreaming of the day I take over the world with animals. Beware.

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#11 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Crystaline Spade wrote:I was thinking about adding mini stories into my game because one of the characters is a story teller.
Do you think it's alright or would it subtract from the main story?
It's absolutely alright. That's a tried and true device which has been used to great effect many times. The 1001 Nights, for instance, is a story where one character tells stories about other characters who frequently sit down and tell stories of their own. Seriously, it's hilariously recursive.
Crystaline Spade wrote:But, I'm still a little worried about if I'll be able to write it well enough so that when people read it they don't think cheesy...
The only way to improve is practice. There were some glaring problems with my first game and I'm still here. Make your game. Learn from it. Bring what you learned for your next project. Don't worry about making something perfect. If you like it, odds are good that someone else will too!