Need example of game outline and paths

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

Need example of game outline and paths

#1 Post by Sleipnir56 »

I'm having some trouble with outlining games. It would be cool if someone gave me an example of how they would right an outline and the paths for a certain character. Also, maybe even an outline on the characters back-story and what you wanted in their path would help me out as well. To anyone one who helps me with this, thank you :)

DeletedUser160413

Re: Need example of game outline and paths

#2 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

Sleipnir56 wrote:I'm having some trouble with outlining games. It would be cool if someone gave me an example of how they would right an outline and the paths for a certain character. Also, maybe even an outline on the characters back-story and what you wanted in their path would help me out as well. To anyone one who helps me with this, thank you :)
This is exactly what I need too!
Last edited by DeletedUser160413 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurélie
Regular
Organization: Lyonesse

#3 Post by Aurélie »

HyperBunny have two blog posts about this. It really depends on what kind of VN you want, but I know that for my VN the first blog post was very helpful. I annotated the graph with my endings/additions.

Sleipnir56
Veteran

#4 Post by Sleipnir56 »

muniiam wrote:
Sleipnir56 wrote:I'm having some trouble with outlining games. It would be cool if someone gave me an example of how they would right an outline and the paths for a certain character. Also, maybe even an outline on the characters back-story and what you wanted in their path would help me out as well. To anyone one who helps me with this, thank you :)
This is exactly what I need too!
So glad you see my dilemma :shock:

Sleipnir56
Veteran

#5 Post by Sleipnir56 »

Aurélie wrote:HyperBunny have two blog posts about this. It really depends on what kind of VN you want, but I know that for my VN the first blog post was very helpful. I annotated the graph with my endings/additions.
Thanks for the share. Will check it out :)

MizuSenpai
Projects: G.E.N.I.U.S(WIP), Shoumen(WIP)

#6 Post by MizuSenpai »

Hi! I will admit that I'm more of a 'write and it will come' kind of person, but I do have a method for planning things.

I like to start with the end. Where do I want the game to be? If there are multiple ends, I usually have a overarching theme for them, like 'closure' or 'loss'.
Once I have that down, I focus on the amount of freedom I want the player to have. A lot of freedom increases the replayability, but it takes a lot of work and extra routes. I start with the main route, or the path that every player will take no matter what. If its character-centric, I plot out each character's individual route separately. This is why I do the main route before, in order to corroborate the two paths. If its plot -centric, I write each path as a straight path, and then I add the twists and turns you can take. It is generally easier for me to plan something that is more character focused, because the plot serves the characters, and takes up less space.

Basically, I start with the basics and fill it in backwards. Endings first, big storyline, and then little storylines.

I hope this kind of helps! If you think everything I wrote is confusing/nonsense, here is a quick consolation https://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com/533785.html. It's a small article on the issue.

Also, this is just how I do it, if I plan at all. You should find a style that fits you!

Good Luck,
--Mizu

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#7 Post by OokamiKasumi »

This is an outline for a basic game with paths.
StoryMap.jpg

Created with FreePlane.

Using this mind-mapping program I can set up each character's histories, traits, and stats visibly. By opening and closing pathways I can test-drive the entire game for unfinished pathways and plot holes plus add options, details, and dialogue before I even begin coding.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Sleipnir56
Veteran

#8 Post by Sleipnir56 »

MizuSenpai wrote:Hi! I will admit that I'm more of a 'write and it will come' kind of person, but I do have a method for planning things.

I like to start with the end. Where do I want the game to be? If there are multiple ends, I usually have a overarching theme for them, like 'closure' or 'loss'.
Once I have that down, I focus on the amount of freedom I want the player to have. A lot of freedom increases the replayability, but it takes a lot of work and extra routes. I start with the main route, or the path that every player will take no matter what. If its character-centric, I plot out each character's individual route separately. This is why I do the main route before, in order to corroborate the two paths. If its plot -centric, I write each path as a straight path, and then I add the twists and turns you can take. It is generally easier for me to plan something that is more character focused, because the plot serves the characters, and takes up less space.

Basically, I start with the basics and fill it in backwards. Endings first, big storyline, and then little storylines.

I hope this kind of helps! If you think everything I wrote is confusing/nonsense, here is a quick consolation https://alias-sqbr.livejournal.com/533785.html. It's a small article on the issue.

Also, this is just how I do it, if I plan at all. You should find a style that fits you!

Good Luck,
--Mizu
This might actually help. I'll write it in a few ways and will see which is best fr me. Thanks :)

Sleipnir56
Veteran

#9 Post by Sleipnir56 »

OokamiKasumi wrote:This is an outline for a basic game with paths.
StoryMap.jpg

Created with FreePlane.

Using this mind-mapping program I can set up each character's histories, traits, and stats visibly. By opening and closing pathways I can test-drive the entire game for unfinished pathways and plot holes plus add options, details, and dialogue before I even begin coding.
Thank you so much OokamiKasumi. This should help as a planner :mrgreen: