Slightly futuristic AU settings?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Slightly futuristic AU settings?

#1 Post by Shinoki »

I don't know why, but the setting of the type of vn (or kn in the case of me) that I want to create is usually a futuristic yet not all sci-fi but rather kind of mild and normal without much new stuff, maybe even slightly medieval. I don't know if these types of settings are unusual or often used, but I personally think that they can be a bit hard to find a balance in.
Anyone have any thoughts on what the biggest problems with those can be or some suggestions when I comes to creating such settings?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Slightly futuristic AU settings?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

How is what you are describing different from the standard near future sci-fi settings, like the Cyberpunk or Transhumanist genres? Or if you want it to be a bit historic sci-fi Steampunk, Clockworkpunk, etc?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#3 Post by Shinoki »

Probably the slightly historic sci-fi Steampunk, Clockworkpunk, etc

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

Because a lot of my interactive story writing comes from a Role-Playing Game place, I can recommend the sourcebook GURPS: Steampunk. Even though it is for the GURPS system, it has a lot of general world building and adventure creation advice that may be useful for you if doing that sort of thing. It also has a great bibliography for more inspirational tests. Also good would be the books for the now out of print RPG Castle Falkenstein
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978