Naming a project?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
lemonokashi
Regular

Naming a project?

#1 Post by lemonokashi »

I'm starting a new project and I'm running into some very frustrating trouble with naming it. I was hoping some of you could share how you named your projects. Just having an idea of where to begin when naming would be a huge help, or if you want to give naming my project a shot I have a short description of my story below:

It's pretty much about a mummy boy who ventures from the monster world into the human one on halloween, where he befriends a human boy and finds himself entangled in human affairs... Which eventually leads to a huge adventure to integrate monsters and humans. The best name I could come up with is "All Wrapped Up" as a reference to his bandages and that he runs into a lot of problems, but I feel like it still isn't good enough.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing your naming stories/methods!

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

Re: Naming a project?

#2 Post by Sharm »

It's a bit like poetry, I fiddle around with the words until I have something that fits on multiple levels. Or sometimes it just comes to me as I think about the best way to sum up what the game is in as simple terms as possible. If neither of those work it usually just means I need to leave it alone for a bit and let my subconscious work on it while I get more of it done. I tend to come up with a good title before it goes live one way or another.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Gambit74
Regular

#3 Post by Gambit74 »

Going by your description, that name actually sounds fitting.

As for how I come up with names, I try to make them sound like a title of a book, while also holding some symbolic meaning/reference to the actual story.

For example: My novel is called 'The Song of Owls' because it's about owls hooting day and night. Since they are always hooting and the people who saw them met with terrible fates, the townsfolk came up with the saying "When the owls sing, a son of man dies" (This quote is my spin on an actual saying, by the way).
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

Marionette
Regular
Completed: https://marionette.itch.io/
Projects: Get Meowt of Here
Deviantart: rexx9224
itch: marionette
Discord: Marionette#2995

#4 Post by Marionette »

I normally just pick a cheesy pun when im naming my games, because im silly like that. XD

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#5 Post by Asceai »

While you need to have a name for your project from the get-go, it doesn't have to be the name of your VN.

Once you've actually gotten somewhere, you'll be in a better position to come up with the final name for it - before then you just need a codename. Honestly, just pick something you like + think sounds cool and go with it.

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#6 Post by Rossfellow »

As with most, I tend to use a title that captures the atmosphere of the story without giving much away. I look at the "core" or theme of the story and decide an imagery I want to give to it, and put it on the title.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#7 Post by sasquatchii »

I actually really like what you've come up with, but nothing has to be set in stone at this point. You can look into titles of books about mummies/monsters/halloween as well to try to get some new ideas.
ImageImage

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#8 Post by Tyrantauranox »

I avoid naming new projects, using just a codename until it's fairly close to completion. Games/stories change so much over their development, so making a name early on is usually a waste of time for me.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#9 Post by Ran08 »

Tyrantauranox wrote:I avoid naming new projects, using just a codename until it's fairly close to completion. Games/stories change so much over their development, so making a name early on is usually a waste of time for me.
You're right. Hahaha. :) Sometimes I name projects from the beginning (for the sake of a logo) but sometimes... I don't. Hahaha. Like right now, I have one project that doesn't have a title yet. Lol. =)

It's kinda like love actually. The right one will come. You just have to wait :3 Hahaha.

sempersapiens
Regular

#10 Post by sempersapiens »

Tyrantauranox wrote:I avoid naming new projects, using just a codename until it's fairly close to completion. Games/stories change so much over their development, so making a name early on is usually a waste of time for me.
I'm the same. I guess this wouldn't be relevant to people who really plan everything from the get-go, but I tend to just have a general idea and then start writing and see what happens. Then once it's done, I look back at what ended up being the common themes or imagery or something and come up with a title from that.