Favorite writing books?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
ArachneJericho
Regular
Projects: Kaguya Hime
Tumblr: mousedeerproductions

Favorite writing books?

#1 Post by ArachneJericho »

While there are plenty of online resources, sometimes a book can cover a topic in more detail with more examples than a blog post (or even a series of blog posts) can, and the better books are pretty well-organized.

I'm going to bring up one of my favorite writing books:

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers

Even if you can afford a proof-reader or editor, you can learn a lot from fine-tuning your own words. Here's the breakdown of the book:
  • Show And Tell - ever wonder when you should narrate, and when you should show?
  • Characterization and Exposition - how do you communicate information about your character and world without boring the player?
  • Point of View - the differences between first person, third person, and omniscient points of view.
  • Proportion - how not to go overboard on certain aspects of your writing
  • Dialogue Mechanics - how to write good, interesting dialogue
  • See How it Sounds - More about dialogue
  • Interior Monologue - When to use it, how to use it effectively
  • Easy Beats - Even more about dialogue
  • Breaking Up is Easy To Do - Probably not as relevant, but if you're tempted to NVL mode often with large blocks of text, this may help.
  • Once Is Usually Enough - Repetition. Not just words or phrases, but similar scenes and plot threads.
  • Sophistication - I could take or leave this section. It's mostly about how to write to please modern tastes.
  • Voice - Feels more like it applies to traditional novels than to visual novels.
What are writing books you've run into that have been handy or useful?

(For me, other books include Techniques of the Selling Writer and Steering the Craft.)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Favorite writing books?

#2 Post by Morhighan »

Even though I think the author's a dick, I did get some good advice out of:
How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy by Orson Scott Card.

It goes over the following:
*utilize story elements that define the science fiction and fantasy genres
*build, populate, and dramatize a credible, inviting world your readers will want to explore
*develop the "rules" of time, space and magic that affect your world and its inhabitants
*construct a compelling story by developing ideas, characters, and events that keep readers turning pages
*find the markets for speculative fiction, reach them, and get published
*submit queries, write cover letters, find an agent, and live the life of a writer

I also think the cover and the way the book is presented is quite nice. XD But either way, there's some good advice in it.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Favorite writing books?

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Morhighan wrote:Even though I think the author's a dick, I did get some good advice out of...
You know, some of the best advice I've received has come from people whom others have considered [insert profanity of choice here].

So it's always a good idea to be open-minded. :)

I'm adding The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr., and E.B. White to the list. It's probably something most of us have at least heard of before, but it's an extremely valuable little book. A few bits of the advice are perhaps dated, given the evolution of language, but I always return to this book whenever I need a refresher on the basics.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain