Pitfalls and what you've learnt about writing

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
laiktail

Pitfalls and what you've learnt about writing

#1 Post by laiktail »

For the experienced writers of this community, I have two questions:

1. What pitfalls have you fallen into/that you will now actively avoid in writing?

2. In writing, what are the greatest things you have learnt about writing something GREAT?

I'm a new writer seeking to learn on the go on this VN writing journey, but experience is invaluable; because I don't have that, the next most valuable thing then is to ask those who have been there. That is, you. So I'd really love to hear your two cents about the topic. :)

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

Re: Pitfalls and what you've learnt about writing

#2 Post by Sharm »

1. What pitfalls have you fallen into/that you will now actively avoid in writing?

Well, I've made pretty much all the beginner mistakes. I don't know how to list them all, it'd be a book if I sat down and explained it. My biggest ones: Not doing enough outlining and thinking that worldbuilding was the same as outlining.

I don't believe that if you want to get really good at something that you should ever avoid an aspect of it. If my descriptions are bad, I don't avoid them, I purposefully study them so that my descriptions are the best part of my story. If I feel that I could be more concise with my language, I study how to write poetry. I was listening to Writing Excuses and a guest made a great point that every writer should write at least one murder mystery novel. He believes that in order to pull one off you have to be good at all the basics of writing, whereas in other genres you can fudge a bit and not be as good with other elements. Guess what I'm plotting right now? I have no intention of becoming a mystery writer, but I think it will help my writing ability to try it.

2. In writing, what are the greatest things you have learnt about writing something GREAT?

BICHOKTAM and revise anyway, even if I hate doing it. If I can master those two I will have everything I need to become a great writer. Everything else is stuff I do naturally, like studying, applying deadlines to myself, always looking for ways to improve, and making sure that at some point there's going to be someone looking over your stuff who will tell you what needs improving.

The reason why some great writers are worse writers after they become popular is because they no longer have anyone playing the role of Editor. They just have someone who's editor in name only checking the thing for spelling errors and such. Everyone needs someone who can and will tell them no.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Pitfalls and what you've learnt about writing

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Sharm wrote:1. What pitfalls have you fallen into/that you will now actively avoid in writing?
I used to fear total overhauls of my drafts. But in order to grow as writers, we have to learn that this is a necessary part of the process. Favorite characters and scenes may get rewritten, or even scrapped entirely, but if it's best for the work, do it.
Study the masters of the craft. To write better sentences, one has to find good examples, read them, and write them out, over and over again. Don't be afraid to emulate others who are more skilled. You will learn what makes their writing better.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain