BL game seme-uke ratio?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Zelda0909
Projects: 7 princes

BL game seme-uke ratio?

#1 Post by Zelda0909 »

For my BL game I thought of having the Seme and Uke's be split equally however the main character type is definetly Seme not Seke in any way shape or form. I really can't picture my main as a bottom... With the way it's going I would have to switch one of the options to the main character since he's more seke like. But then it sort of messes up part of the story... I could however make it so theres only one seme route but then it feels kind of unbalanced... do you have any suggestions? I can't change the character to a seke because there based off the 7 deadly sins and he is wrath so he kinda needs to be a tough guy.

Holland
Regular
Projects: Lycoris: Their Journies [WIP], With or Without You [NaNo19]

Re: BL game seme-uke ratio?

#2 Post by Holland »

Ohmy. Hello fellow person using the seven princes in a visual novel~ [They're so overdone in creative media but so much fun to work with anyway vuv]

Back on topic. Assuming the other princes are love interests, that's a lot of characters to be keeping the same position in the relationships. Maybe you should be looking past the boundaries of 'seme' and 'uke'? Instead of thinking it as just top and bottom, and instead of seeing a strong willed character and thinking "he could never be topped," look at their relationships individually. Being angry doesn't mean you're always going to be on top (of anything, for that matter). Try not to think of them as seme or uke in general and instead consider how they'd realistically react to one another. If the realistic reaction is him always being on top, then so be it; the game'll just be less interesting to people who prefer to play as bottom.

Zelda0909
Projects: 7 princes

#3 Post by Zelda0909 »

I see! thats a good suggestion! And yeah the ideas done a lot but its only my first visual novel so it probably won't be that great anyway. XD it just popped in my head one day when I was trying to name all the seven deadly sins because I keep forgetting one. (Its always either pride or envy.) anyway thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely try it out.

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#4 Post by Chocopyro »

Right, I can't same I'm an expert on the subject of BL, and I've never heard the term "Seke" before from the rabid yaoi fangirls in my group. But BarabiSama has a good point. If you're audience expects certain tropes or roles in a certain genre, then sure, be mindful to them. But don't feel chained to them. And remember, characters can be dynamic. A character who starts off weak willed, shy, and generally cowardly might end up being the strongest one in the relationship by the end of the game with believable progression. Or even vice versa. It might even be fun for the audience to feel challenged in applying certain roles to certain characters.