Four ways to write a great story

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

Re: Four ways to write a great story

#16 Post by truefaiterman »

I start as an outliner, covering every little detail to make sure how the story unfolds all the time, step by step...

Then I actually start writing and go NUTS.
I become an Edit-as-you-go. I change A LOT of what I outlined, and I'd say at the same time that I get a Seat-of-your-pants feeling that I don't even care if the story gets out of my hands (since I know myself and I know I'll just break everything later. I love messing everything).

Wow, I think I'm not any of those styles of writing, I'm just a messy guy...
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#17 Post by noeinan »

I'm definitely an outliner, but that is partly because I'm not much of a writer. I can come up with ideas, plan out a plot, and then get stuck on the actual writing/dialogue. ><

Loveli
Regular

#18 Post by Loveli »

I am an "edit as you go snowflake". I outline my main plot, conflicts and goals. I create my characters, their overal persinalities and backstories, that way I get to know them and their role in the story. Then I become a soft edit as you go. I don't edit one single scene 10 times before writing the next one, instead I write the scene edit it once, then I keep writing and then I sometimes stop and edit everything I have once (or 3 chapters or wathever feels rigth to edit). I, then, keep writing and going back to edit over and back to writing over and over until I finish writing and then edit until I'm happy.

That problem of feeling like the story is not advancing is completely true for me too...
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#19 Post by Katy133 »

I'm a "Plan a little, write a little/Snowflake": I'll make up a loose outline/summary of the plot (partly to avoid plot holes and to help plan foreshadowing), and then I'll write it all in a "seat of your pants" style. I'll also write scenes out of order (I'll start with the scenes I feel are the most important/seems the most fun to write). A strange thing though is that I'll think of details for scenes before I even start writing the outline.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!