Visual Novel- Third Person or First Person with POV Changes

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

Visual Novel- Third Person or First Person with POV Changes

#1 Post by dmasterxd »

Hey I wanna turn this story I wrote into a Visual Novel but the thing is it won't work unless I do it in either third person or first person and switch the points of view for a short amount of time. So my question to you all, which do you think would be a better choice. Please and thank you.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Visual Novel- Third Person or First Person with POV Chan

#2 Post by fleet »

dmasterxd wrote:Hey I wanna turn this story I wrote into a Visual Novel but the thing is it won't work unless I do it in either third person or first person and switch the points of view for a short amount of time. So my question to you all, which do you think would be a better choice. Please and thank you.

The novel "Dracula" by Bram Stoker consisted mostly of memos, letters and diary entries 'written' by several characters (first person). It worked quite well.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Appota
Completed: Chainsaw Rage ; Robo's Escape ; Ava Me - Anime Dress Up
Projects: Project - X ; Fruit Shooter
Organization: Appota

#3 Post by Appota »

I personally think third person is easier if you don't want to focus on one character's perspective. But first POV works too, it's just not commonly used as it may break the flow if not used properly. And sure, as fleet suggested, Bram Stocker's Dracula is one successful example of multiple POVs.

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#4 Post by SinSisters »

Couldn't you just do third person omniscient? Is there a particular reason why you need to switch POVs? 3rd person omniscient is an all inclusive thing, but it's not often used unless there isn't a main character in your story... I recently finished The Second Reproduction, which was in 1st person, but would switch to 3rd person omniscient so the reader could witness certain events.

It depends on why you need POV changes, really.

-Nat
Last edited by SinSisters on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#5 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Try writing a few scenes both ways and see which you prefer, or which better suits your story.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain