Could anyone help me to come up with some character's quotes

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Appota
Completed: Chainsaw Rage ; Robo's Escape ; Ava Me - Anime Dress Up
Projects: Project - X ; Fruit Shooter
Organization: Appota

Could anyone help me to come up with some character's quotes

#1 Post by Appota »

Hello, I am developing an action game and I'm going to need some quotes for the characters. I have thought of it and had come up with several but I'm not very satisfied with them. I played League of Legends and was impressed by the champions' quotes, for example the seductress Ahri: "Should I make your pulse rise? Or...stop!" ; or the prince Jarvan IV's royal speech, etc. I'm looking for the same kind of quotes that would be able to give readers' a glimpse about the chars. I am, unluckily, not a professional writer nor a native speaker, so any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my chars:

1. A Demon Lord who takes shape of a dragon. He has an air of aloofness and indifference. Due to his enormous strength, he is very proud and confident but other than that, he feels nothing for others especially humans. In fact, he despise emotions, thinking of it as weakness. Specializes in miasma.
Quotes I have thought of: Big words, for such small vermin.

2. A nine-tailed fox who has a huge sweet-tooth. She's like her element - fire, can be aggressive, sarcastic and impulsive but very passionate and would sacrifice everything for the sake of those she cares for. But she's also pretty sensitive, and is sweet, even talks flirty at times. Swears a bit when angered.
Quotes I have thought of:

3. An icy military general of human kingdom. She's an intellectual, is pretty manly somehow, and she talks unusually formal. She has a soft spot for her sister.

4. The attractive, but rebellious queen of human kingdom. A lazy, very laid-back woman who hated rules and only does what she wants. She would skip the national conference without informing just because she "wants to". Actually, she likes it the most when she infuriates people. She's hardly embarrassed, and would strip just to get what she aims for. Social status, obligations means nothing to her. She bears the power of light.
Quotes I have thought of: Listen boy, there's a time when one must strip.

5. (no pictures :( )Two typical arch angels - one man and one woman. The man is determined to vanquish demons for the Earth's sake while the woman has lost her cause since the lost of her thousand years husband.

6. (no picture :( )A lost prince. He lives in a slum since child because the throne was taken by betrayals. He does not brag and has no intention of reclaiming the crown, the reason of his journey to the palace is justice for the poor people, no matter who's king. (Typical hero)

7. Despite possessing the power of Darkness, the young woman believes in justice and do what's right. She may look normal, skinny and modest to the eyes, but her strength are incomparable. She has a companion named Gina. He's a giant, black, scary serpent. The girl is somewhat indecisive, but her will's strong. In short the girl cannot be judged by looks.

Below are the pictures of the chars that a wonderful artist had helped me a year ago. (Not related, but is there anyone who recognizes this artist based on the images? A year before I received an email that she fell terribly sick and could not continue and had not heard about her since. But she had done a lovely job after all, and I didn't have the chance to pay her properly.)

Please let me know if I wasn't clear enough! Thank you!
Attachments
2.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 992 times
1.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 992 times

madomadomadotsuki

Re: Could anyone help me to come up with some character's qu

#2 Post by madomadomadotsuki »

Whoa, cool character art! I particularly like #7. :)

Anyway, that's besides the point, right? What sort of purpose are you writing these quotes for? Like... Are they for promotional purposes – such as, say, whenever you have a website, project thread, etc. for your game, you want a character sheet and some quotes to give a taste of what they are? For those sorts of things, those quotes can give pretty big first impressions on your characters, good or bad.

And this goes to my main point – perhaps it might be better to try writing some stories with these characters, or situations with them (I guess the script, and such). I feel like one doesn't create a good quote by thinking, "I'm going to write awesome quotes, phrases, one-liners, etc. for my character!", but rather an awesome quote springs out at you from a scene, whether it'd be some monologue, a deep conversation, and so forth. If your characters are going to be most comfortable, alive, and accurate to their personality by being played out in scenes, then I think you should write those and let your characters' personalities play and do the rest.

I don't know how much this plays with League of Legends and how they write or develop battle quotes for these characters, as per games such as Fire Emblem: Awakening (though those quotes are ever so minor, they're pretty much catchphrases), but I'm sure there's a deep enough and extensive background for those characters that the writers have developed in order to create a quote that perfectly encapsulates who they are without it sounding too cheesy or hammy. Which kind of goes – as much as we can help, you most likely should know your characters the best, so it's possible that whatever quotes I or anyone else can give you can only help so marginally.

Best of luck with things, I hope this helps. :)

Appota
Completed: Chainsaw Rage ; Robo's Escape ; Ava Me - Anime Dress Up
Projects: Project - X ; Fruit Shooter
Organization: Appota

Re: Could anyone help me to come up with some character's qu

#3 Post by Appota »

Thank you very much for your advice madomadomadotsuki. Your thorough suggestion is very detailed and I really appreciate that. The only problem with me is that I'm not a native speaker and a very shabby writer, so my ideas and vocabulary are pretty much limited. I tried to come up with several but they seem unnatural and forced. You are correct about the first impression thingy when it comes to promotional sheets, and that's what what I believe as well, so I just want to be extra cautious, and that's why I came here asking for help. In fact I was out of solution :( It seems I may have to hire a writer to help me though.