Screen Play vs. Creative Writing for Visual Novels

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
sorani
Veteran

Screen Play vs. Creative Writing for Visual Novels

#1 Post by sorani »

I'm planning to take a course to help with my writing overall, so would taking a Creative Writing class help better than an Screen Play writing class? I was thinking since visual novels have dialogue, but maybe creative writing would be the better choice?
Thanks!

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

Re: Screen Play vs. Creative Writing for Visual Novels

#2 Post by Shaples »

I think it depends on what you mostly plan to write, and how much experience you have writing already. Screenwriting will specifically help you learn how to write dialogue and tell stories primarily through dialogue (like a VN), while an introductory creative writing class will probably help with more foundational writing and storytelling elements (like plot, character, and pacing).

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

That's a hard one, since VN's have elements of both creative writing and screenplays. Personally, I would go with the screenplay class. I think what they teach you there is more pragmatic and more interesting than just a class in creative writing. I took several screenplay classes and liked them a lot compared to the writing classes I took.

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#4 Post by SinSisters »

Like Shaples said, it depends on how much experience you've had. Screen play writing, I would say, should be if you already have a good handle of prose and want to go a step further. Creative writing is helpful for those without much experience. Personally, I would consider one of my fortés to be dialogue (and I have written a short, 12 minute play), so although dialogue takes up a vast majority of visual novels, I find that very good visual novels have internal thoughts and narrations that I want to read, instead of simply skipping forward to the dialogue.

-Nat