How do you write your script?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

Re: How do you write your script?

#16 Post by Ghost #9 »

Perhaps this is a bit of an unorthodox tip, but I personally find that a visually stimulating writing environment helps me get my thoughts flowing. I use a black background with pixely green text on full screen in Word. The less surrounding distractions the better. Many years ago, I discovered that I can also write quite a bit when using a typewriter. Thus, I sometimes attach a typewriting sound effect to my keystrokes.

Lexer

#17 Post by Lexer »

Ghost #9 wrote:Perhaps this is a bit of an unorthodox tip, but I personally find that a visually stimulating writing environment helps me get my thoughts flowing. I use a black background with pixely green text on full screen in Word. The less surrounding distractions the better. Many years ago, I discovered that I can also write quite a bit when using a typewriter. Thus, I sometimes attach a typewriting sound effect to my keystrokes.
Ahahaha! I do the same thing but with a white Sazanami Gothic font instead. No sound effect though.

astrokeofmadness
Regular
Completed: AAA:Book 1
Projects: A Stroke of Apprehension

#18 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Ghost #9 wrote:Perhaps this is a bit of an unorthodox tip, but I personally find that a visually stimulating writing environment helps me get my thoughts flowing. I use a black background with pixely green text on full screen in Word. The less surrounding distractions the better. Many years ago, I discovered that I can also write quite a bit when using a typewriter. Thus, I sometimes attach a typewriting sound effect to my keystrokes.
Needs more mechanical keyboard! If I didn't have headphones on at all times, I'd have effectively the same effect as a typewriter when it comes to the clicking sound. Although for me I need music too badly to actually do work so this doesn't work for me XD

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#19 Post by Shaples »

astrokeofmadness wrote:Needs more mechanical keyboard!
Mmm, mechanical keyboard.

I have a Razer BlackWidow keyboard that's so loud you can hear it from the next room, and I LOVE it!

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#20 Post by Ghost #9 »

So, I just had a mini research session involving mechanical keyboards and I have come to the conclusion that I have thus far been living an incomplete life without one. At least as a writer. xD
Thank you for the recommendation, astrokeofmadness! I actually came across the Razer BlackWidow specifically. It even LOOKS fantastic!

It turns out that there are keyboards designed to look like typewriters, and even actual typewriters fitted with USBs, but they are all hundreds of dollars. D:

Lexer - Thanks for corroborating my advice! Glad I'm not the only one who has discovered this invaluable secret. : P