Writing a Visual Novel for NaNoWriMo!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
PaupauSenpai
Regular
Projects: The Color of Life

Writing a Visual Novel for NaNoWriMo!

#1 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Hi people! I decided it would be fun to write out a visual novel for this year's National Novel Writing Month. I know NaNoReNo is a thing, but what I'm doing right now is focusing solely on the writing portion of the visual novel this month-- I'll focus on the art, coding and other stuff next month. (Of course I'm testing out the script a little bit and sketching concept art though...nothing big till next month, really.)

I'm writing it out semi-prose style, with a few pointers placed in there to make it easier once I code it all (putting abbreviations of names by dialogue, "SO-AND-SO'S ROUTE" by branching plots, etc.) and so far I think I'm doing great~! I'm a little bit behind word-count-wise, because bleck, school, but I'm catching up today. ^^

Is anyone else writing a visual novel/dating sim/etc. for Nanowrimo? Is anyone DOING Nanowrimo? xD What are your methods, tips, progress, etc.? I'm going to set a timer for thirty minutes and see how much more I can write before I have to do other stuff. How about you?
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.
Link to the WIP thread here

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: Writing a Visual Novel for NaNoWriMo!

#2 Post by kaleidofish »

There's a thread talking about Nanowrimo over here.

I'm trying to increase the wordcount for one of my projects. The goal is to get the first draft of the story done by the end of the month, no matter how many words that winds up being. I'm so slow, though...I feel like I'm letting every possible obstacle get in my way. Ergh. Timer method is a good idea.

When I want to do a ton of writing in a short amount of time, I listen to the same song on repeat and just zone out... I let an outline take care of the "groundwork thinking," so I'm just writing based on that and trusting in my outline as much as possible.

Best of luck!
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.