Would you play games like these?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
RotGtIE
Veteran

Re: Would you play games like these?

#16 Post by RotGtIE »

trooper6 wrote:But, generally speaking if the only genderqueer figure you have in your game is evil...that isn't so great.
Why, exactly? It's a story, not a propaganda piece. Why should politics dictate fiction? Why should any kind of person be excluded from even the opportunity to play a major role in a story? Should writers find themselves obligated to treat a character with kid gloves the moment it is decided that the character in question is genderqueer? Pardon my increasingly frank tone, but I find that kind of notion to be more offensive than the allowance for the possibility that someone can be part of a marginalized group and still have enough character development as an individual to become a villain.

I, for one, do not wish to see Akai's imaginative ideas diluted by petty political concerns. That kind of predisposition towards censorship is what wrings the creativity out of minds. To police writers in this way is to destroy art.

Akai85
Regular
Projects: Dawn of the Humans(WWIP), The Diamond Man(WWIP)
Organization: ermineSt.
Deviantart: ermineSt.

Re: Would you play games like these?

#17 Post by Akai85 »

He's not the only genderqueer one... (Spoilers). The reason I can't make him not cross dress is because he specifically prefers women's clothes and finds them more beautiful and in line with his aesthetic which is an important part of his character. The other genderqueer character isn't evil. I can make him not cross dress but the way I've created his persona it would be sacrificing a part of himself. His beliefs in beauty and expression are the basis for some of the events in the game.

I'm not trying to sound defensive here and I certainly hope I don't! I think discussions like this are important so we can utilise our creativity in a non-destructive manner and I like to explore different ideas in different contexts. In this context beauty is an absolute which surpasses male and female boundaries so rather than commenting on gender it's more of a thing about beauty. Plenty of people get surgery or work out or diet to become the person that visually they feel they should be and this is no different. Um... Not sure how to express what I mean clearly... Is it so bad if a villain has complex ideas and motivations which tie together their philosophies and actions? Can we objectively even say a villain is wrong for doing what they do? If heroes are afforded the opportunity to be multi-faceted individuals with problems and dreams and distinct philosophies shouldn't villains also be granted that same possibility?

That said I understand that no media exists within a vacuum and my intentions may contribute to something I don't wish to contribute to. But at no point is the villains' philosophies regarding beauty rejected and as I earlier stated there's another character who is interested in the idea of beauty without boundaries (and it is discussed in the game). I can change the villain it's not like cross dressing is "essential" but I feel it adds a touch of nuance to his character and depth to the route. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone or come across as sounding aggressive or defensive. I promote intelligent discussion and consideration!

I think I'll revisit this topic later once I start on that actual route and "do the research" haha. Truth be told that route is full of potentially problematic material and hard to write stuff. Can you kidnap someone that's already been kidnapped with the intent to help them without it being a crime? Eeesh, problematic! And that's just the beginning... Though the love interest in that route himself is normal the rest will probably require a cautionary warning of some sort. I'll also state, just for the record, that I usually do not write violent things and other generally discomfiting material. Because of the subject matter of the game it's a necessary thing, to display different experiences and perspectives on a stigmatised topic. (That's like the only idea I have with somewhat disturbing content in it though, promise.) Anyway, these are all things I'll be thinking deeply about and returning to once it's time to write this part. (I actually didn't even outline this yet because I've been worrying about where to start and I have to do a bit of research on cults first.)

So yeah, can of worms on that whole route! (Anyone who has some more pointers or considerations please pm me so we don't clog up the thread with political discussions :)) :lol: I'll now return to using this thread as an idea dumping ground.

P.S Thanks for the responses, kinda had a feeling the cross dressing may not be the best idea, I'll try and see if I can portray the material in a sympathetic manner or find an alternative way of achieving the same psychological kinda um... concept? God, I'm confusing myself now! I'm happy you're interested in the new ideas trooper6, I was worried that avante guard presentation of the data one would turn people off :)
I did nothing. And still I rise.
And still I rise.