Types of Story Branching?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
anoko

Types of Story Branching?

#1 Post by anoko »

Hi,

What are the different methods of branching a romantic visual novel / otome game?
I haven't played many VNs, so I am not entirely sure.

The ones I do know of are as follows:
> Player chooses a character route; the story focuses on that character.
> Throughout the whole game, the player has the opportunity to romance any of the characters at any time.

I am 91% sure this is not all...

Additionally, out of the methods I have presented and what you or others may come up with, what is your favorite?

I apologize if I posted in the wrong section.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Types of Story Branching?

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Let's see off the top of my head I can think of a few more ways to do it;

-At the start of the game you can romance anyone but eventually it splits off into an individual character path depending on the choices made
-At the start of the game you can only get on one route, but instead of simply choosing the route directly there is some roundabout way that puts the player on a character route (I used this method in a game)
-You can romance a few of the romantic leads all throughout the game, but not all of them. Some become unromanceable depending on choices made
-Some branching method is used and then there is a possible romance route that happens automatically along side the normal events and how it plays out depends on choices made (this is good if you want a romance with choices while still focusing mainly on other things)
-Using elements of more than one branching method in combination
-Using one method for some characters and another method for other characters

People are very creative and I'm sure they've come up with unique ways to go about this. But this is all I can think of right now.

As for what style is my favorite, I don't have a favorite :'D. Different methods work with different types of games. So, depending on how it's done, I can really like any method.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

There is one type of branching where you have a single story arc and optional side stories if you want to romance someone or do something extra. Then these side stories can jump back into the main story. They can also have modifying effects on the story based on variables, but the story doesn't necessarily branch completely.

anoko

#4 Post by anoko »

Wow... That was more than I thought! :)
Thank you for answering!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#5 Post by OokamiKasumi »

anoko wrote:What are the different methods of branching a romantic visual novel / otome game?
There are many, many variations for VN storyline plotting, but these are some (extremely) basic breakdowns of the most common forms. Feel free to use or abuse as you like.
Story Branching0.jpg
This is a basic "Point Of View" storyline. Technically it's One story merely told from opposite points of view. This one isn't seen very often, but there are a few games that do this.
Story Branching1.jpg
This is your basic "One (Romantic Interest) at a Time" storyline. This is most commonly seen in Pay to Play romance games.
Story Branching2.jpg
This is the general form of a basic --no, seriously this is Basic!-- "Dating Frenzy" storyline where one plays with more than one Romantic Interest. A point system decides how much a chosen Love Interest likes the main character.
Story Branching3.jpg
And just for comparison, this is the common "Choose Your Own Adventure" type storyline used for simple Adventures and/or Mystery stories.
Story Branching4.jpg
For those interested, the diagrams were created in FreePlane, a free mind-mapping program. It's what I use to plot out all my games.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

anoko

#6 Post by anoko »

Oh, my... Thank you very much, Ookami!

I appreciate your thorough answer. :D

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#7 Post by OokamiKasumi »

anoko wrote:Oh, my... Thank you very much, Ookami!
-- I appreciate your thorough answer. :D
Glad I could help.
-- I um...tend to be a bit on the thorough side when I answer writing questions. I like to avoid misunderstandings. (Though, it might just be my OCD kicking in.)
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar