VN idea Need Feedback on title and synopsis

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Fluxx
Regular
Projects: Magnificent//Omniversal Love, Nature's Kingdom
Organization: Natural Freedom
IRC Nick: Fluxx
Tumblr: superfunspacejam

VN idea Need Feedback on title and synopsis

#1 Post by Fluxx »

I was hesitant to post this. I don't feel that there is enough information here for the idea board so I will post it here.
I'm having trouble solidifying the title and plot for the VN.

here are the variations of the possible titles (They are in caps because that's how I have it on my outline, Sorry!)

A KITSUNE NAMED MAGNIFICENT
A KITSUNE KNOWN AS MAGNIFICENT
MAGNIFICENT THE KITSUNE
MAGNIFICENT//UNIVERSAL LOVE
MAGNIFICENT//MULTIVERSAL LOVE
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: The Endless Fantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: Endless Fantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: The Endless Phantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: Endless Phantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: The Fornever Fantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: Fornever Fantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: The Fornever Phantasy
MAGNIFICENT//OMNIVERSAL LOVE: Fornever Phantasy

The plot revolves around a boy writing a story and making a world for a game he wants to make. it is called Endless Fantasy or Fornever Fantasy. Eventually he finds his world actually becoming real. When this happens he is given the power to become one of the story's heroes, Magnificent the Kitsune.

-Story has a mix of superheros, sci fi and fantasy. Lot of universe hopping.

1) This is a (delayed?) coming of age story. I would like to know if most would prefer and young adult protagonist or a teen protag.

2) What title do you feel would fit the most? What should the game world be named? (Endless Fantasy/Fornever Fantasy)

That's all I will say for now I don't want this post to become too bloated.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: VN idea Need Feedback on title and synopsis

#2 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Fluxx,
-- This sounds like it's going to be a HUGE project. Are you sure you can make something this big by yourself?

As for the title, I would go with One Word: Magnificent, especially if you plan to turn this into a series of games. The rest can be used as Subtitles to tell one game from the next.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Fluxx
Regular

#3 Post by Fluxx »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Fluxx,
-- This sounds like it's going to be a HUGE project. Are you sure you can make something this big by yourself?

No, but I have no problem working on it myself. I don't plan on posting about it much. I will get a group together and pay some people but that's far off. I'm only focused on writing the story now.
OokamiKasumi wrote: As for the title, I would go with One Word: Magnificent, especially if you plan to turn this into a series of games. The rest can be used as Subtitles to tell one game from the next.
I figured. I really don't like that. :lol:
I know that's probably the best choice logically but I really don't want to do that. I feel like it's missing what the story is about.

I wasn't thinking of a series of games. I just wanted to make one first!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#4 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Fluxx wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:Fluxx,
No, but I have no problem working on it myself. I don't plan on posting about it much. I will get a group together and pay some people but that's far off. I'm only focused on writing the story now.
Sounds like a plan!
Fluxx wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote: As for the title, I would go with One Word: Magnificent, especially if you plan to turn this into a series of games. The rest can be used as Subtitles to tell one game from the next.
I figured. I really don't like that. :lol: I know that's probably the best choice logically but I really don't want to do that. I feel like it's missing what the story is about.
Don't worry about that. Wherever you post your game you can use screen shots and text to fill in what the story is about.
Fluxx wrote:I wasn't thinking of a series of games. I just wanted to make one first!
Good luck! Stay stubborn.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Ernestalice15
Regular
Projects: One Last Crane, Demoness, The Golden Catalyst
Organization: Animon Works
IRC Nick: Nomina
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15

#5 Post by Ernestalice15 »

I would suggest the hero's name or the world name for the title. Since Super Hero is one of your theme, I tried to compare with Captain America, Spiderman, Big Hero 6, and such, and I think "Magnificent The Kitsune" will probably suit the most. If you want to give the hopping universe theme in your title, then I suggest you to use "Omniverse" or such (since you're using Omniversal in your title options).

plainviewer
Regular

#6 Post by plainviewer »

Hello,

I think the issue you need to address is different than what you're asking for. For example: you're asking what kind of character people would prefer more. That type of thinking will automatically limit your creativity.

"Write to express, not to impress."

It doesn't matter how long it takes for you to sort these ideas out properly. If the story is worth it, you'll make time. You can't look to others to better gain the certainty you don't have by yourself. Advice from others is one thing. Saying which idea should and shouldn't be there based entirely on my personal preference, that's wrong. If you're not the one making that kind of decision, the idea doesn't truly come from your inner creativity.

I understand at first, you'll be unsure of what ideas you should work with. Doubt comes from lack of confidence in your abilities. Doubt = stress = less creativity. When you have confidence in your writing abilities, you'll find this to be less of a problem.

You have to practice working with what you already have to hone your skills. Otherwise, even if you do get a great idea, it will never reach it's full potential. Trust me on that advice because I've been there. A skilled writer will take a simple idea and make it interesting. Then he'll take a good idea, and make it great.

To conclude, if I may be so bold, your story's idea sounds like it's been used many times before already. A boy creates or is immersed in a fantasy world, then his secret wish of living in that world somehow comes true. If writing about the fantasy world is what's really important, then I'd advise you skip the part about the boy, and just write a character who already lives there.

Otherwise, you'll have what resembles a self-insert story. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just most people don't know how to realistically write it. Here's a brief list of everything you'd have to learn in that new world: cooking, cleaning, technology, basic history, laws, fighting, languages, and possibly animals. When writers are aware of the fact their character needs to learn all of this, they tend to use time-skips, because it takes too long. But that process is the whole point of a self-insert. So if you stick with this idea, if you want to keep it practical, know the story should first center around your protagonist acclimatizing to his new environment.

Fluxx
Regular

#7 Post by Fluxx »

Ernestalice15 wrote: If you want to give the hopping universe theme in your title, then I suggest you to use "Omniverse" or such (since you're using Omniversal in your title options).
Thanks for replying Ernestalice. I did originally did not want to use ominverse due to the fact when you typed it in google ben 10 omniverse would come up. I didn't want to be associated with that. So then I thought about using multiversal but the story encompasses all possible universes so even though I liked the term multiversal better it made more sense to go with omniversal.

plainviewer wrote:Hello,

I think the issue you need to address is different than what you're asking for. For example: you're asking what kind of character people would prefer more. That type of thinking will automatically limit your creativity.

"Write to express, not to impress."

It doesn't matter how long it takes for you to sort these ideas out properly. If the story is worth it, you'll make time. You can't look to others to better gain the certainty you don't have by yourself. Advice from others is one thing. Saying which idea should and shouldn't be there based entirely on my personal preference, that's wrong. If you're not the one making that kind of decision, the idea doesn't truly come from your inner creativity.

I understand at first, you'll be unsure of what ideas you should work with. Doubt comes from lack of confidence in your abilities. Doubt = stress = less creativity. When you have confidence in your writing abilities, you'll find this to be less of a problem.

You have to practice working with what you already have to hone your skills. Otherwise, even if you do get a great idea, it will never reach it's full potential. Trust me on that advice because I've been there. A skilled writer will take a simple idea and make it interesting. Then he'll take a good idea, and make it great.
Heh, your right. I'm starting to see that after I disagree with people's suggestions. If I changed something just because someone else said it was better I probably wouldn't be happy with the story and would have a hard time writing. However, it is good to bounce ideas off others.
plainviewer wrote: To conclude, if I may be so bold, your story's idea sounds like it's been used many times before already. A boy creates or is immersed in a fantasy world, then his secret wish of living in that world somehow comes true. If writing about the fantasy world is what's really important, then I'd advise you skip the part about the boy, and just write a character who already lives there.
Umm....I don't know how to really explain this without spoiling. But the world is a lot bigger than you think. I'm in the processes of writing a book dealing with things in the same "universe" here that our main character in this VN has no idea about. Maybe the world isn't a fantasy and he didn't create the world. Maybe he just thinks he did.
plainviewer wrote: So if you stick with this idea, if you want to keep it practical, know the story should first center around your protagonist acclimatizing to his new environment.
Of course, Thanks.
CURRENT PROJECTS (Ongoing)
Nature's Kingdom - A Girl Wishes for Utopia -
Web Novel that takes place in the same universe as Magnificent//Omniversal Love.

plainviewer
Regular

#8 Post by plainviewer »

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help :)

Ernestalice15
Regular
Projects: One Last Crane, Demoness, The Golden Catalyst
Organization: Animon Works
IRC Nick: Nomina
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15

#9 Post by Ernestalice15 »

Fluxx wrote:Thanks for replying Ernestalice. I did originally did not want to use ominverse due to the fact when you typed it in google ben 10 omniverse would come up. I didn't want to be associated with that. So then I thought about using multiversal but the story encompasses all possible universes so even though I liked the term multiversal better it made more sense to go with omniversal.
Yeah, if you want to use it, though, you can still add another words, such as "In Omniverse", "Omniverse Gate", "To The Omniverse", or something like that. Well, personally, I like Omniverse better than Multiverse, because Multiverse sounds just ordinary to me. But, it's just me, right.

Well, I can see how you're disagreeing with people here, but let's just say that you have thrown some ideas that you know you don't like it enough. I think, you have just narrowed them, right? So, it's not far enough to see the goal of what you're seeking, I think. Just keep to be honest with yourself. :)