How to Make Your Characters Relevant to Your Story?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
ladynamoru
Regular
Deviantart: ladynamoru

Re: How to Make Your Characters Relevant to Your Story?

#16 Post by ladynamoru »

Fox Lee wrote: I don't want to be rude, but I would really, really counsel AGAINST making her a "chosen one". There are way too many chosen ones in media these days (both explicitly and implicitly, through lazy writing), and audiences DO notice the contrivance, even if they accept it. Besides, it's usually an excuse to avoid giving characters actual motivations. What actually tells you more about the character - that they were willing to take on the responsibility of saving the world despite having no personal power, or that there's some magical rule that says they have to be the main character? At the very least, if you're going to have a chosen one, the importance should be placed on how the character reacts to having destiny imposed on them, not on the calling itself.
thank u for the reply...I know that my example is common/cliche (>_<) but i can t help but think why "her of all people" there must be something special about her....
HS girl + doomsday is already a common idea.
But even if its common, It still works especially if you deliver the story in a unique kind of way and give some twist on the story.
So the writer is the one who can make the Mc shine.

like you I saw so many cliches
And anyway, why would a normal high school girl not care about the end of the world? Does she not live on earth? Is it not where she keeps all her stuff? Isn't it a bit insulting to suggest that NO believable highschooler would try to prevent the utter destruction of everyone and everything she loves? Personally I kind of think I would have cared, even when I was fifteen.
I feel like im so evil atm.... (sorry for the insult)
ok.... normally speaking if a HS girl dream about an impending doom she will either ignore it or like what you said care about it..... She might call her parents and say I love you or do something before the said doomsday, because her option on how to save it is limited (depends on what is the cause of the said D day or how the writer put it )
Now, a reason for her to KNOW about the impending apocalypse, and to take it seriously, that's something that may be harder to arrange. But it certainly doesn't require destiny to get involved.
^ I agree on this part