Help naming my game?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Heartstrings
Regular
Projects: Currently Unnamed Project

Help naming my game?

#1 Post by Heartstrings »

My game is a sci fi game about a princess who escapes from her home planet and goes on an adventure. Blah blah blah, she saves the world from space pirates. I really need an eye catching name for this game, halp? I'm really bad at that kind of thing... Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Dread Lord

Re: Help naming my game?

#2 Post by Dread Lord »

Heartstrings wrote:My game is a sci fi game about a princess who escapes from her home planet and goes on an adventure. Blah blah blah, she saves the world from space pirates. I really need an eye catching name for this game, halp? I'm really bad at that kind of thing... Any ideas would be appreciated. :)
Hmm...here's a few you might try out for size. :D

1. Arrrrgmagedon!
2. Princess Sue Saves the World!...(again!)
3. Born on Top: A Very Sue-ET Adventure!
4. The Little Sue that Could: Eat Space Pirates for Breakfast!
5. Pirates! - Reach for the Sue-flakes!
6. Breaking Sue
7. Game of Skull & Bones
Last edited by Dread Lord on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

Can you wait until you've finished the script? I imagine once you've finished the script, a title might make itself more apparent.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Heartstrings
Regular

#4 Post by Heartstrings »

trooper6 wrote:Can you wait until you've finished the script? I imagine once you've finished the script, a title might make itself more apparent.
Well I have finished the outline for the game so I know basically everything that happens in the game. It's not a matter of it revealing it's self to me, I just don't have a good mind for coming up with interesting titles...

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

But I don't think an outline is the same as a finished script. Things change shape in the writing process. After you finish the script look to see what is most dominant. Maybe when you are done, it turns out the ship the Princess is on is so central you want to name the VN after that. Maybe you want to name it after the protagonist. Maybe you write a line of dialogue you think so sums up the game you decide to make that the title. The title should be grounded in detail, I think, rather than generalities.

This is why I don't quite see how I, a person who hasn't read the script, could give you a meaningful suggestion for a title.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Heartstrings
Regular

#6 Post by Heartstrings »

Yeah, that's actually a pretty good point. I probably will wait till the script is done to make the final name. Some sort of placeholder would be nice though, so I don't have to keep calling it my space pirate game.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Just call it The Space Pirate Project for now. I mean, it's only a placeholder until you finish the script and need a real title, so don't worry too much.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Dread Lord

#8 Post by Dread Lord »

That and I gave you 7 good working titles to choose from...pick one and congratulate me for taking what little you gave us as a description for your game and working it into so many funny eye-catching titles.

Here's a few more...

8. Driving Ms. Sue: The Death of a Pirate
9. Top Sue: In the Eye of the Pirate!
10. Cannibal Princess: Tales of the Pirate Eater
11. Star Pirates: Revenge of the Princess
12. Sue Trek: A Pirate's Argh
Last edited by Dread Lord on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heartstrings
Regular

#9 Post by Heartstrings »

Dread Lord wrote:That and I gave you 7 good working titles to choose from...pick one and congratulate me for taking what little you gave us as a description for your game and working it into so many funny eye-catching titles.

Here's a few more...

8. Driving Ms. Sue: The Death of a Pirate
9. Top Sue: In the Eye of the Pirate!
10. Cannibal Princess: Tales of the Pirate Eater
11. Star Pirates: Revenge of the Princess
12. Sue Trek: A Pirate's Log
Congratulations! I actually did decide to use Arrrrgmagedon as the working title, sorry for not responding!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#10 Post by Katy133 »

Once you've finished the script, take a look at this post I wrote for a similar discussion. Once you've written the script, It'll be easier to ask yourself the right questions to brainstorm a title.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!