Story introduction: critique requested

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
agentyoda
Regular

Story introduction: critique requested

#1 Post by agentyoda »

Removed.
Last edited by agentyoda on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Story introduction: critique requested

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I have a lot of negative reactions to this, but you asked for honest critique, so I'll give it to you.

1) This text reads like it was written for a novel not like it was written for a visual novel. You have many, many bits of text like "A menacing voice growled" that should just be expressed in the sprite's faces. There is a lot of telling not showing. If there were no graphics then you might have to tell...but there will be graphics...so...

2) The minutes I saw the Japanese names coming from a creator in Georgia and indications there was going to be fan service, I wanted to stop reading immediately.

3) I'm not a prude. I enjoy sexy games. But this seems like it is going to be juvenile about its interaction with sexy topics, from the whole talking about "perverse"--and I don't like that that sort of interaction with "perversity" is being projected onto a Japanese Other. Why not set it in Georgia and with a bunch of Georgia folks?

4) The character seem like two dimensional stereotypes rather than fully realized characters.

Now, I'm sure there is a large audience for anime-style fan service style VNs, so you can ignore me by writing me off as not your intended audience.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

agentyoda
Regular

Re: Story introduction: critique requested

#3 Post by agentyoda »

I'm rather embarrassed that I wrote that, now that i've reviewed it in light of your comments. It's not the kind of thing I was intending to write, but that certainly is what I ended up writing.